Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- saunderez - 2011-02-07

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Just curious as maybe this new solution might help me JB mine, and get around all my error 1601's.

I usually get one of the 1600 errors even if the .ipsw was flashed correctly. Try tethered boot after you get the error.

- kevron - 2011-02-07

My latest JB I had the 1602 error and It works just fine.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-07

Ok I still have not been able to do this. I follow these steps however I am having a problem of knowing when to plug in the power cord. For some reason I cannot get into dfu mode when the power cord is in. But when I finish the tether and plug the power cord in the atv2 just gets a steady blinking light. Doesnt boot. I follow these steps

Connect via usb to pc (no power cord)
7. launch itunes
8. Unplug and reConnect Apple TV to computer via microUSB.
9. Reboot Apple TV by pressing and holding Menu + Down buttons simultaneously for around 6 seconds.
10. After restart, immediately press and hold Menu + Play buttons until a message appears in iTunes
11. Open CMD and run the below:
CD desktop/tethered
then
tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66
Program goes to 100% on install of both items

plug in power cord
12. Once its done unplug the usb cable and plug in the HDMI DO NOT UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE!!!

Then nothing. just get a steady blinking light. It has to do wtih the power cord I have noticed. Some guides say leave it in some say dont plug in until you get a rapid flashing light... some say it works getting into dfu mode with the powercord others dont, etc.. I am trying to follow the guide here as I trust this board. Can anyone please help me out and let me know when the power cord goes in.

- dtviewer - 2011-02-07

Plug in the power cord after step 8.

I didnt bother doing step 9, but you can.
Step 10 works for me even without doing 9.

For me, I followed steps 1-7 from the post you are following then used this guide:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92886

the rest of the way.

- mados123 - 2011-02-07

rflores2323 Wrote:Ok I still have not been able to do this. I follow these steps however I am having a problem of knowing when to plug in the power cord. For some reason I cannot get into dfu mode when the power cord is in.....Can anyone please help me out and let me know when the power cord goes in.

In my case, step number 9 is not necessary. I guess this is because the power plug is already out to begin with.

Also, I have to launch iTunesHelper & iTunes directly sometimes before opening tetheredboot. See if those suggestions make a difference.

Which custom firmware are you using?

- mados123 - 2011-02-07

dtviewer Wrote:Plug in the power cord after step 8.

For me, I followed steps 1-7 from the post you are following then used this guide:

the rest of the way.
Agreed.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-07

dtviewer Wrote:Plug in the power cord after step 8.

the rest of the way.

yeah however for some reason my device doesnt get into dfu mode with the power code connected. I try and nothing.. and then I take power cord out and hit menu+play for 7 seconds and it gets into dfu mode. I will try it and see if it works. thanks for the response and help.

- dtviewer - 2011-02-07

rflores2323 Wrote:yeah however for some reason my device doesnt get into dfu mode with the power code connected. I try and nothing.. and then I take power cord out and hit menu+play for 7 seconds and it gets into dfu mode. I will try it and see if it works. thanks for the response and help.

Keep trying...it will.

As mados123 pointed out and I forgot, you may try to launch ituneshelper right before attempting the tethered boot.

(c/program files/itunes/ituneshelper if I remember correctly.)

- teefer22 - 2011-02-08

I am just going to post my experience.

I had a heck of a time getting the custom firmware restored without errors on my main PC which is a quad core running 64 bit vista but finally got it restored (without errors) and got XBMC installed. However, after tethered booting, no matter what I did, I could not get wifi or ethernet after it was tethered booted. I could even start up xbmc and navigate around but no network connectivity.

Finally, after tethered booting what seems like a million times. I decided I was going to start all over again and I restored the factory apple firmware. I had no problem getting the ireb app to say it was in dfu mode but could not get itunes to restore the custom firmware without getting errors 21, 1600, 1601, 2005, 2009, etc (exactly the same as the first time). So I decided to try my other computer in the house which is a very old AMD 2500 that I had put Windows 7 (32 bit) on. I again had no trouble getting into DFU mode and then it immediately restored the custom firmware with no issues on the first shot (I don't know if it was just luck or not). I installed xbmc and tethered booted it and had wifi first shot.

I'm hoping that by the time I need to reboot my atv2, that the untethered jailbreak will be out. Smile

Just thought I'd post my experience for anyone else that struggled like I did. If you can stick with it and get it working the end result is awesome. I don't know if it didn't like something on my vista x64 machine or if I just had better luck with the dinosaur hardware running windows 7.

Huge thanks to everyone that makes this possible on such a small, quiet, (and cheap!) device. Although I haven't done tons of testing yet. I was able to stream a number of xvid's and 720p x264's without any issues over wifi-n. I was also able to watch an .strm file with an rtmp link in it without any issues.

Power coming from USB? - mados123 - 2011-02-08

Thank you for sharing your experience. I wonder if the USB power being supplied by the newer computer is actually coming in at lower numbers than your older machine, hence it working on the first shot with the AMD and custom firmware/jailbreak? Or were you using a USB hub without a power adapter?

- teefer22 - 2011-02-08

I was not using a hub at any point in time.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why it worked on the old computer vs the newer computer. I was thinking the x64 OS might have something to do with it, but that's just a wild guess. I do have more USB "things" plugged into the quad core PC (printer, scanner) as well as a capture card. The old PC has nearly nothing connected to it as it's used mostly as web surfer..

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-02-09

kevron Wrote:My latest JB I had the 1602 error and It works just fine.
saunderez Wrote:I usually get one of the 1600 errors even if the .ipsw was flashed correctly. Try tethered boot after you get the error.
Mine just turns on like normal after the 1601 error, and I cant SSH in so I know it didnt work. I have a feeling this thing is just going to stay in its box for a while until some new tools come out.

- douggoodwin - 2011-02-09

dazex Wrote:I found a couple of different ways and instructions on the internet on how to put the ATV2 into DFU mode.

However, my process changes the usual order around.

1. Put device into DFU mode first, using simple instructions below.

2. Then launch your program. i.e. iReb, tetheredboot, etc...

::HOWTO ENTER DFU MODE::

Easiest way to put the AppleTV 2 device into DFU state...

- Plug ONLY the microB-USB cable into your ATV2 and computer (Power cable, Network cable and HDMI cable does not need to be plugged in at this point)

- Then, immediate press and hold "menu button" AND "play/pause button"

- Release the buttons as soon as you see the blink rate changes

(The change in blinking speed tells you when to let go. It goes from a steady blink to a faster blink. Roughly about 5-6 secs after holding down both buttons.)

- Your device is now in DFU mode

- Now you can run whatever exploit, software and it will automatically detect your device in the DFU state

Let me know if you have better success with my instructions.

Thanks,
-Dazex

I have followed every tutorial and cannot get the ATV2 into DFU mode. I've tried switching USB ports, Menu+Down before Menu+Play/Pause, with ireb, without ireb. Nothing works. I'm using my laptop running Windows. Updated itunes (didn't work before updating either)
If I can't even get DFU going, what problems am I going to have later? This is a bit of a nightmare.

- hfctech465 - 2011-02-09

Hi

I had the same problem the apple Tv wouldn't go into DFU mode I found that if you mains powered the device then put the usb and remove the the mains i can get it to go into DFU. Also all the Errors 1600,21 ect. when was loading the Customer_restore.ipx have gone. Don't know if this will help anyone else but its worked here.

thanks for the efforts with the windows method

- mados123 - 2011-02-09

douggoodwin Wrote:I have followed every tutorial and cannot get the ATV2 into DFU mode. I've tried switching USB ports, Menu+Down before Menu+Play/Pause, with ireb, without ireb. Nothing works. I'm using my laptop running Windows. Updated itunes (didn't work before updating either)
If I can't even get DFU going, what problems am I going to have later? This is a bit of a nightmare.

1. I've heard of some microUSB cables only passing power & not data. I found this out when I was looking for one on Amazon. Maybe this is your case? What device are you borrowing it from or did you purchase it?

2. If not, leaving the power plug in with the USB cable so the proper Windows drivers can be installed (named Recovery mode) and then removing the power cable afterward and holding the menu & play button should go to DFU then activate a new driver install (named DFU). Check device manager to see which drivers are installed at different points.

3. Also, run "iTuneHelper.exe" and iTunes before attempting DFU mode. They are both in the same folder.