Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- piotr - 2011-02-09

douggoodwin Wrote:I have followed every tutorial and cannot get the ATV2 into DFU mode. I've tried switching USB ports, Menu+Down before Menu+Play/Pause, with ireb, without ireb. Nothing works. I'm using my laptop running Windows. Updated itunes (didn't work before updating either)
If I can't even get DFU going, what problems am I going to have later? This is a bit of a nightmare.

I'm 95% sure this has to do with the micro-usb you're using. I've experienced the same. Using my HTC Desire's cable fixed the issue.

- kevron - 2011-02-09

I used the cable from my phone also.

- pgoose - 2011-02-09

I have been able to get it working last night. It was a pretty simple process, but issues with the DFU mode, i found out a lot of it was to do with the cable that you were using. I know there are ones out there that just powers the device and not allows data connection to go through, like someone else suggested. I have used my evo connection and it works everytime. SSH however was abit difficult through winscp, i had to make an apple computer out of my old laptop and then i was able to ssh into it and install xbmc, and NOW DAMN, i love my little black puck. HA, i may not be the expert on this, but if people have any questions on how to get it to work, i might be able to help.

Also, question for anyone out there, does anyone know of what files are the toughest for apple tv to stream. So far i was able to stream 1080p watchmen and never had an issue-14gigs big, but then i tried a 720p Walking Dead-2gigs and its buffering every 11 secs. Both are MKV files, so any suggestions would be amazing right now. Thanks

Patrick

- jayace - 2011-02-09

Good call on the cables guys, I bet that ends up solving a lot of problems.

- dazex - 2011-02-09

For Windows, simply use the freely available putty application. With putty, you can ssh into your ATV2 and issue it commands like you do with the Mac Terminal app.

Because, if you manage to jailbreak the ATV2 entirely on Windows...the hard part is technically over. It's silly to have to put together a hackintosh for the sake of ssh'ing into your ATV2. There's plenty of ssh clients on the windows side. But give putty a try first. It's pretty bullet proof.

----------------------------------------
More instructions for those who needs it
----------------------------------------

1. Download putty.exe from the official site.

2. Save it to a location that is already in your enviroment "path" variable. I like c:\windows (This allows you to execute it from anywhere since c:\windows is already in your PATH environment variable)

3. Type the following into Start/Run or command prompt to ssh into your AppleTV. Make sure to replace the IP address with your ATV2's IP address.

(Vista and Windows 7 will pop up a security dialogue and ask you if you want to allow putty to run)

If it's your first time connecting, accept the prompt about saving the ssh key.

Next, you will be prompted for a password. The default password is: alpine

That's all there is to it. Now you can issue commands to install XBMC by following the directions on the official wiki for XBMC on ATV2.

A reminder for the truly newb... the "$" should not be copied as it denotes the command prompt in root mode. You should be able to copy and paste everything after the "$" as instructed on the wiki.

Lastly, if you just type putty, you will get the putty GUI in case you want to save a session for yourself or feel safer seeing a graphical interface.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-09

I use my droidx cable and it seems to work to pass power and data. I however have a problem after the tether boot. I cant get the atv2 to boot.. it gets stuck in dfu mode it seems like since i have a steady flashing light.. anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

- mados123 - 2011-02-09

rflores2323 Wrote:I use my droidx cable and it seems to work to pass power and data. I however have a problem after the tether boot. I cant get the atv2 to boot.. it gets stuck in dfu mode it seems like since i have a steady flashing light.. anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

Can u see it via Putty or OSX Terminal? If so, try "killall AppleTV"

I doubt that will work though. Is it persistent after additional attempts with DFU/tether boot? If so, I would just jailbreak it again and hopefully you didn't have a lot of customizations done, using the remote & onscreen keyboard.

- fiddystorms - 2011-02-10

I am hoping someone can help here. I believe my cable is transferring data as I am able to get into DFU mode, (it better be after I spent $26 for it from radio shack!!!). I am able to run iREB and press menu & play/pause and it enters DFU mode and instructs me to start iTunes (which is actually automatically initiated when I enter DFU mode and it installs the drivers). I would think that at this point it is recognized by itunes and should appear as a device in the source list.

My problem is that iTunes doesn't recognize the device in the source list. it doesn't list Apple TV and therefore there is no restore button. I tried for 3 hours to get it recognized but failed every time. It is brand new out of the box and was never synced with itunes to begin with. Should I first get it to run as if I were intending to use it as advertised or should I be approaching this as a jailbreak fresh out of the box?

- mados123 - 2011-02-10

What version of iTunes are you using? Is it the latest? Have you tried to run 'iTunesHelper.exe' directly from the install folder to make sure it is running before iReb?

- vike105 - 2011-02-10

rflores2323 Wrote:I use my droidx cable and it seems to work to pass power and data. I however have a problem after the tether boot. I cant get the atv2 to boot.. it gets stuck in dfu mode it seems like since i have a steady flashing light.. anyone else run into this problem and have a solution?

Can you post your tether boot log please?

- dtviewer - 2011-02-10

fiddystorms Wrote:I am hoping someone can help here. I believe my cable is transferring data as I am able to get into DFU mode, (it better be after I spent $26 for it from radio shack!!!). I am able to run iREB and press menu & play/pause and it enters DFU mode and instructs me to start iTunes (which is actually automatically initiated when I enter DFU mode and it installs the drivers). I would think that at this point it is recognized by itunes and should appear as a device in the source list.

My problem is that iTunes doesn't recognize the device in the source list. it doesn't list Apple TV and therefore there is no restore button. I tried for 3 hours to get it recognized but failed every time. It is brand new out of the box and was never synced with itunes to begin with. Should I first get it to run as if I were intending to use it as advertised or should I be approaching this as a jailbreak fresh out of the box?

I had the same problem and searched all over the net looking for an answer and never found one.
Mine finally showed up but I dont know what did it.

I do know some of the things I tried.

I hooked it to my tv and network and went to settings and did a update to make sure I had the newest software.
I tried different usb ports on the laptop i was using.
I made sure itunes was up to date.
I rebooted the laptop many times.

Keep us updated on your progress.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-10

vike105 Wrote:Can you post your tether boot log please?

I assume the log is the output which is below
Code:
Found device in DFU mode
Checking if device is compatible with this jailbreak
Checking the device type
Identified device as AppleTV2,1
Preparing to upload limera1n exploit
Resetting device counters
Sending chunk headers
Sending exploit payload
Sending fake data
Exploit sent
Reconnecting to device
Waiting 2 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu to device
[==================================================] 100.0%
Waiting 10 seconds for the device to pop up...
Uploading kernelcache.release.k66 to device
[==================================================] 100.0%
Exiting libpois0n

if not then let me know how to get the boot log.

- wedgehead - 2011-02-10

@ rflores2323

I just went through the whole exercise late last night and your output was the same as mine. I think my ATV2 was still blinking too but I simply plugged in the power, unplugged the USB cable and plugged in the HDMI cable and it went solid and it worked.

I think I also tried with the power cord plugged in and had positive results that way as well. Seems to be several ways to skin this cat.

- rflores2323 - 2011-02-11

well I finally got htis to work. I followed this tutorial and had some help from badjase... and it worked. finally have it up and running again. Thanks

iTunes doesn't recognize device, no restore button - fiddystorms - 2011-02-11

mados123 Wrote:What version of iTunes are you using? Is it the latest? Have you tried to run 'iTunesHelper.exe' directly from the install folder to make sure it is running before iReb?

no. i did not manually start iTunesHelper.exe, I will try that tonight. I am using the latest version of itunes, updated 2 nights ago.