Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- Eldorado - 2011-02-18

dazex Wrote:Eldorado, you'll find your answer quicker by searching. 4.1.1 is iOS 4.2.1

Go look at your firmware version again. Click the center select button on your remote to watch it toggle between firmware, build and ios build. Something like that.

Now, why you can't get the ATV jailbroken despite being on the correct 4.2.1? I don't know. I am betting that you're not getting the ATV2 into DFU properly? You should ignore the direction. As long as you're in DFU mode, GreenPoison will detect that and start the JB operation.

I hate when I ask a question, then 5mins later find out it was a stupid one Smile

Thanks, struggling to get it into DFU mode, both via instructions that GP gives and from other instructions I've found on the net.. I'll keep trying!

- Dan Gleibitz - 2011-02-18

If you can't get DFU with Menu+Play for 7 seconds, try this:
Hold Down+Menu for 7 seconds.
Then hold Menu+Play for 7 seconds.

It's the only way I can do it.

- dazex - 2011-02-18

Yup, Dan's instructions works well.

Reboot command: hold down + menu, the light will flash really rapidly at about the 7sec. The reboot won't happen until you release the buttons.

DFU mode: then immediately hold down play+menu until the light flash really rapidly. That indicates your box is booting into DFU mode.

The rapidly flashing lights are the indicator on when to release the buttons.

I find it easier to get the ATV into DFU mode using the instructions above before launching GreenPois0n. Just so I don't get all that pressure to follow their direction within the countdown period.

- Eldorado - 2011-02-18

Finally got it to go!

Is having iTunes installed on the PC you are doing the jailbreak a requirement?

Only problem is now I'm getting the same issue as Lewman above, the greenpoison menu is there, I select Inject Software and it just goes to a black screen with the green poison logo in the top right corner

edit- ah clued in, need to have network connected! Plugged in and good to go!

- Lewman - 2011-02-18

Turns out i was being a numpty. You have to have the power cable in at all times. So decided to take my laptop to the tv and do the jailbreak from there. That way i always had the power cable in throughout the JB and all i had to do was plug the ethernet and HDMI cable in. The greenpoision menu finally had the cydia inject and now fully jb! yay!

-Lew

- Sindawi - 2011-02-18

Just a heads up. I previously had all my devices jailbroken with tethered jailbreaks. I had xbmc installed on all these devices with smb shares set. I did not want to rebuild my library I am currently sitting on 24tb of movies and tv. it takes days to load that library onto the ios devices. So i just used greenpoison on top of all my previous jailbreaks and everything worked perfectly. I can now boot untethered all my devices 3 atv2's, 2 iphone 4's and a ipad with xbmc intact. I did not get any additional options for cydia or greenpoison inject however i dont need those since those applications are already on the devices and working.

that's my two cents.

WINSCP works fine for ssh on these devices.
Putty will crash on log in. (do not need putty just use winscp)

- Tacheon - 2011-02-18

Sindawi Wrote:Just a heads up. I previously had all my devices jailbroken with tethered jailbreaks. I had xbmc installed on all these devices with smb shares set. I did not want to rebuild my library I am currently sitting on 24tb of movies and tv. it takes days to load that library onto the ios devices. So i just used greenpoison on top of all my previous jailbreaks and everything worked perfectly. I can now boot untethered all my devices 3 atv2's, 2 iphone 4's and a ipad with xbmc intact. I did not get any additional options for cydia or greenpoison inject however i dont need those since those applications are already on the devices and working.

that's my two cents.

WINSCP works fine for ssh on these devices.
Putty will crash on log in. (do not need putty just use winscp)

If your just doing console stuff, like apt-get, etc... then putty works well. WINSCP is great for file transfers and editing files.

- dazex - 2011-02-18

putty and WinSCP are two different things really. One excel at file transfer and the other a great terminal client.

WinSCP's console implementation is different than other terminal clients. But use whatever works for you.

An alternate to WinSCP for file transfer purposes is Filezilla. Also free and has a port for almost all the OS out there.

edit to add: WinSCP does allow invoke putty, which is what I prefer to run terminal commands over the built in console feature of WinSCP.

- andersthingholm - 2011-03-31

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with installing XBMC (or the GP jailbreak). I have jailbroken my ATV2 using GP RC6 for windows. The jailbreak goes through fine (left it for 5 minutes after the jailbreak as well), but when I load up the ATV it doesn't show the greenpoison option in the menu (along with the inject software link).

I have tried many many times, all with the same outcome - the greenpoison software tells me that it is now JB, but I cannot see the menu item on the ATV. I also tried with Seas0nPass-win. I also tried restoring the device from iTunes and directly from the settings menu. But without any luck.

I tried connecting through Putty, but I get "connection refused". I am thinking that the JB wasn't successful, but it puzzles me, since the greenpoison software told me I was done (and I also waiting more than 40 secs. before unhooking the USB).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

- mojo6911 - 2011-03-31

I had the same problem. Make sure after it says jailbreak is complete, just leave it plugged into the computer for 10-15 minutes or so.

- jd2157 - 2011-03-31

andersthingholm Wrote:I tried connecting through Putty, but I get "connection refused". I am thinking that the JB wasn't successful, but it puzzles me, since the greenpoison software told me I was done (and I also waiting more than 40 secs. before unhooking the USB).

Any ideas?

Don't think the jb worked... generally the case if there's no greenpois0n menu item. I'd restore to iOS 4.2.1, download the latest pwnagetool and try to jailbreak with it. Some find it easier to use than GP. I find GP usually takes more tries than pwnagetool but that's just from what I've seen.

Might be overkill but I generally do a fresh restore of iOS after any failed jailbreaks to make sure the atv2 is in a 'known good' state. It's a bit time consuming but it's what I do... I'm sure other people's mileage will/has varied.

- andersthingholm - 2011-03-31

Thanks a lot, but it still doesn't work.

I have tried JB with greenpois0n again (before I tried again I restored to 4.2.1) and let it stay on the "done"-page for approx 30 min. before I closed it. See http://screencast.com/t/8r4Lg9zW

The light on the Apple TV is slowing blinking after the JB is complete (or after it says it is complete...).

I cannot seem to find pwnagetool for Windows :-(

Any other suggestions?

- jd2157 - 2011-04-01

andersthingholm Wrote:Thanks a lot, but it still doesn't work.

I have tried JB with greenpois0n again (before I tried again I restored to 4.2.1) and let it stay on the "done"-page for approx 30 min. before I closed it. See http://screencast.com/t/8r4Lg9zW

The light on the Apple TV is slowing blinking after the JB is complete (or after it says it is complete...).

I cannot seem to find pwnagetool for Windows :-(

Any other suggestions?

Oops, missed the note on you being on Windows (no pwnagetool for Windows). I tried to jb my brother's atv2 using GP on Windows and gave up and switched to using a Mac (which worked after 2 tries).

Looking at some video on how it's done might help. Here's a site with some instructions and video. If it doesn't help I'd check youtube. It's all timing so if you can watch someone else do it you should be able to copy their steps (pay attention to the speed of the LED flashing too).

http://www.iwebsnacks.com/2011/02/untethered-jailbreak-apple-tv-2g-4-2-1-using-greenpois0n-rc6/

- dazex - 2011-04-01

andersthingholm,
Are you referring to iOS 4.2.1 or ATV Software 4.2.1? It's all confusing how Apple names the ATV firmware so closely related to iOS software version number.

ATV 4.2.1 is iOS 4.3.1. Setting/About...click the middle button to toggle between the three screen: ATV Software version, Build, and OS Version.

- andersthingholm - 2011-04-03

It states the following:

Apple TV Software: 4.2.1 (2100)
OS Build Version: 4.3 (8F202)