[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: XBMC General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Swwethip1 - 2011-01-22 02:58
Just picked up a ATV2 from best buy and it has the latest OS (4.2.1). All i see are guides(Seas0nPass,PwnageTool) that are only using a MAC to jailbreak.
Is this currently not possible right now ?? I know we would have to tether, which is OK for now, but sucks since i don't have a MAC atm to start testing this out.
I came across a couple of 4.2.1 Redsn0w guides, but it says nothing about ATV2, just "i" devices
any work arounds, to jailbreak on a windows box?
******** Update 1.23.11 *******
So with the help of numus, and esp. brownbear1984 and others in this thread we now have a working solution for people on 4.2.1 with windows only PCs. These are the steps i did to jailbreak my ATV2 and install XBMC from my PC using putty
YOU STILL MUST HAVE THE CUSTOM RESTORE.IPSW before you can begin.
There are only 3 ways to get this:
1) Beg someone with a Mac OS X or VMWARE OS X to generate the file for you and send it to you (per mods this is illegal)
2) Get a Mac
or the method i used
3) Build your own Mac OS X via VMWARE and build the ipsw file yourself. If you have an intel processor it is easy, if you have an AMD processor (like myself) i just downloaded a premade vmware image and am using that... it is easier then patching it myself...
You need a Mac or VM to create your custom firmware.
Follow the instructions here to create your cfw and prepare your tethered boot files then copy your cfw and the tethered folder over to your windows desktop.
You also need ireb from here
copy the utility from here into the tethered folder.
Once you've done all that follow the instructions below:
1. Connect the usb micro cable to the PC...
2. Then start IREB
3. Select Apple TV
4. Once it starts to countdown immediately hold Menu + Down for 6-7 seconds until it reboots,
5. Then immediately hold Menu + Play/Pause (If you do it correct IREB should successfully implement the DFU mode + patch-If it is
successful it will tell you)
6. Then simple go into iTunes, do the left shift + click restore and select "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw"
***Now must Get the ATV2 into DFU Mode***
7. launch itunes
8. Unplug and reConnect Apple TV to computer via microUSB.
9. Reboot Apple TV by pressing and holding Menu + Down buttons simultaneously for around 6 seconds.
10. After restart, immediately press and hold Menu + Play buttons until a message appears in iTunes
11. Open CMD and run the below:
tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66
12. Once its done unplug the usb cable and plug in the HDMI DO NOT UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE!!!
If you ever need to tethered boot it again just run 11 + 12.
Then just use putty to login to your ATV2 and follow the wiki install instructions
- Numus - 2011-01-22 03:15
Not at this time.. I am experimenting with building a virtual Mac OS X system and seeing if it will work that way
- iLLNESS - 2011-01-22 03:23
as of now, the tools to build a jailbroken ipsw are mac only but you can (just tested) boot the device once jailbroken with a windows machine and the tethered boot win32 utility. you can find this utility here.
Follow this jailbreak guide to create the files you want (specifically step 5). from there you can use the same procedure from step 8 (replacing ./tetheredboot with tetheredboot.exe).
so again to clarify, you only need a mac to initially create (not sure about flashing) the custom restore .ipsw. from there it should work all in windows
- Swwethip1 - 2011-01-22 03:52
thnks.. but we still need a MAC at least once...
so let me ask you this, can we DL a jailbroken ipsw (4.2.1) ? are they all the same, or each one is different?
Im also trying a VM x86 MAC in virtual box - hopefully this can work for me to at least build the ipsw, then use my laptop for the rest.
- Numus - 2011-01-22 03:55
Swwethip1 Wrote:thnks.. but we still need a MAC at least once...
We are currently discussing that... The only question is, is the ipsw specific to the machine it was generated on (i.e. will itunes be looking for a unique marker from your computer)...
- bam099 - 2011-01-22 04:03
Nope, if you can load a pre-jb downloaded ipsw you are fine. As far as what's needed for a tethered boot once you put the new fw on I don't know. But I've done that exact same thing with an iphone...there's no markers or anything. Make sure it's from a trusted source obviously.
- Swwethip1 - 2011-01-22 04:39
bam - thanks for the info.
Can Anyone with a MAC share there built 4.2.1 ipsw ?
- mikef - 2011-01-22 04:45
Swwethip1 Wrote:bam - thanks for the info.
Now that would be awesome.
- Swwethip1 - 2011-01-22 09:02
iLLNESS Wrote:as of now, the tools to build a jailbroken ipsw are mac only but you can (just tested) boot the device once jailbroken with a windows machine and the tethered boot win32 utility. you can find this utility here.
ok so i finally got a vmware image up and running.. I am currently on step 4, where its building the IPSW (this is where im a little confused) Do i need to DFU from within the PwnageTool app?
Or cant i just now take the custom firmware, load it to my PC laptop and do step 8 from the CMD prompt, load itunes, and do a restore using the custom firmware
Or Must i load DFU from the PwnageTool ? If so then when can i use my PC laptop, does it just need to do it once (load DFU from Pwnage)?
ALso steps 5 and 6 are done from the MAC, correct?
- davilla - 2011-01-22 09:30
mikef Wrote:Now that would be awesome.
and illegal too.
- Numus - 2011-01-22 11:00
I get an error 21 everytime i try.. i think it has to do with the usb going thru a vmware virtual usb driver..
- mikef - 2011-01-22 12:12
davilla Wrote:and illegal too.
Yeahh didn't think of that
Unfortunately most "awesome" things are also illegal
Anyway thanx Davilla on good work of porting xbmc to atv2
- Cyruss89 - 2011-01-22 12:21
Don't wanna start a discussion here, but what exactly makes it illegal?
- mojo6911 - 2011-01-22 18:04
Cyruss89 Wrote:Don't wanna start a discussion here, but what exactly makes it illegal?
You are modifying their copyrighted work and redistributing it.
- gaijin - 2011-01-22 18:44
Numus Wrote:I get an error 21 everytime i try.. i think it has to do with the usb going thru a vmware virtual usb driver..I'm getting the same error 21 in vmware. I tried copying the ipsw into windows and restoring from there, but it's giving me error 1600. ...wish I knew someone with a Mac nearby.