Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2] ATV2 + 4.2.1 + Windows (/showthread.php?tid=91490)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

- JohnCarberry - 2011-01-24

This thread's been a good help, but I seem to fall at the final hurdle. When I enter tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66 in CMD, it returns

Cannot open iBSS file 'iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu'

Everything else seems to have gone according to instructions. Any idea why this final step isn't going right? I've probably done something silly.

- iLLNESS - 2011-01-24

JohnCarberry Wrote:This thread's been a good help, but I seem to fall at the final hurdle. When I enter tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66 in CMD, it returns

Everything else seems to have gone according to instructions. Any idea why this final step isn't going right? I've probably done something silly.

does the file even exist? you can extract it from the custom ipsw you made by opening the ipsw in winrar or any zip program (thats all an ipsw is).

- CASHMON3Y - 2011-01-24

Followed all the instuctions to the T and I still get a 1601 error when restoring the custom ipsw. Suggestions?

- brownbear1984 - 2011-01-24

CASHMON3Y Wrote:Followed all the instuctions to the T and I still get a 1601 error when restoring the custom ipsw. Suggestions?

Hi mate I'll try to help first of all a few questions:

1. Are you running the latest release of itunes (I think it's 10.1.1)?
2. Does ireb work fine?
3. Which firmware are you trying to restore to?

JohnCarberry Wrote:This thread's been a good help, but I seem to fall at the final hurdle. When I enter tetheredboot -i iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu -k kernelcache.release.k66 in CMD, it returns

iLLNESS Wrote:does the file even exist? you can extract it from the custom ipsw you made by opening the ipsw in winrar or any zip program (thats all an ipsw is).

Guys if you're getting that message when you go to tethered boot you haven't followed the walkthrough properly.

You need to do the following on the mac VM before moving everything accross

"3. Run the following commands (this will fail if you didn’t move this folder to the desktop, PwnageTool almost MUST be in your /Applications folder)

cp -r ~/Desktop/tethered/AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154.bundle /Applications/PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/FirmwareBundles/

cp ~/Desktop/tethered/Info.plist /Applications/PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/CydiaInstallerATV.bundle/Info.plist

4. Run PwnageTool on the 4.2.1 ipsw (if you don’t know how to do this, again you REALLY shouldn’t be here) saving into the ~/Desktop/tethered folder with the default name PwnageTool gives it (AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw

5. Back in the terminal run the following:

unzip -j ~/Desktop/tethered/AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw Firmware/dfu/iBSS.k66ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.k66 -d ~/Desktop/tethered/"

Also if you used Seas0npass the cfw is in the downloads folder i beleive and you can just rename it to AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Custom_Restore.ipsw

- Odon - 2011-01-24

Thanks for the help... finally working with Brownbear1984 how-to.
Juste one thing, i was'nt able to successfully tethered boot (no DFU) until I made it an other way:

Power *UN*-plugged
Plug USB
Launch tether batch (tethered.exe <...>)
Enter DFU (Menu+Down 6s / wait / Menu+Play 7s)
When tethered boot is in progress, plug power
wait
unplug USB
plug HDMI

win !

Odon Wrote:Thanks for the help... finally working with Brownbear1984 how-to.
Juste one thing, i was'nt able to successfully tethered boot (no DFU) until I made it an other way:

Power *UN*-plugged
Plug USB
wait
unplug USB
plug HDMI

win !

I'll do some testing when i get home later for the best method of tethered booting.

- Numus - 2011-01-24

Odon Wrote:Thanks for the help... finally working with Brownbear1984 how-to.

Power *UN*-plugged
Plug USB
wait
unplug USB
plug HDMI

win !

Ok.. If you dont have Itunes.exe and Ituneshelper.exe running in the background, you have to plug it in from what i have seen.
If you do have them running in the background, you should be able to tether without power plugged in. Based on experiments i ran last night, it appears that the ituneshelper.exe powers the apple tv when it is just plugged into usb and no power, if it isnt loaded it wont properly power the device (this is for both PRE-restore and tether)
Easiest way is if you get a message (can't locate ituneshelper.exe or something like that at the beginning of tethered, just reboot the computer.. they will automatically load up)
brownbear1984 Wrote:I'll do some testing when i get home later for the best method of tethered booting.

Best method is to have the apple tv plugged into the power and usb... Launch tethered (I would not recommend running from a batch file). If you get an error after the first couple lines about itunes and ituneshelper, reboot your computer (it seems that if you fail a tether, it closes these programs and doesnt reopen them. The will run in the background upon a reboot tho). From the many times i have done it, it appears NOT having the apple TV in DFU mode until after tethered is running has been more stable. Once tethered gives you the prompt for "DFU MODE" then menu+down until it reboots (fast blinking) followed by menu+play... That has worked for me 99% of the time

Numus Wrote:Ok.. If you dont have Itunes.exe and Ituneshelper.exe running in the background, you have to plug it in from what i have seen.
If you do have them running in the background, you should be able to tether without power plugged in. Based on experiments i ran last night, it appears that the ituneshelper.exe powers the apple tv when it is just plugged into usb and no power, if it isnt loaded it wont properly power the device (this is for both PRE-restore and tether)
Easiest way is if you get a message (can't locate ituneshelper.exe or something like that at the beginning of tethered, just reboot the computer.. they will automatically load up)

Best method is to have the apple tv plugged into the power and usb... Launch tethered (I would not recommend running from a batch file). If you get an error after the first couple lines about itunes and ituneshelper, reboot your computer (it seems that if you fail a tether, it closes these programs and doesnt reopen them. The will run in the background upon a reboot tho). From the many times i have done it, it appears NOT having the apple TV in DFU mode until after tethered is running has been more stable. Once tethered gives you the prompt for "DFU MODE" then menu+down until it reboots (fast blinking) followed by menu+play... That has worked for me 99% of the time

Great mate I think we'll have to make a new thread on how to jailbreak and tetherboot the ATV2 and request for it to be a sticky coz i'm seeing a few more posts asking for info on jailbreaking.

- Numus - 2011-01-24

brownbear1984 Wrote:Great mate I think we'll have to make a new thread on how to jailbreak and tetherboot the ATV2 and request for it to be a sticky coz i'm seeing a few more posts asking for info on jailbreaking.

Ya go for it! I think the majority of the bugs have been figured out. The problem is we can't share a IPSW file (it is illegal Sad) so even with a new thread based upon this method, people are still going to ask for the IPSW file... To bad there is no wine for mac to run on windows...

- digitaldesaster - 2011-01-24

Hi, i have created all the files under a virtual machine running snow leopard.
everything seems to be fine. after booting tethered there is now chance to get a
network connection. (wlan + ethernet)

trying to restore original firmware.

regards
dd

- Numus - 2011-01-24

The only thing i can think of is the firmware you are building is wrong...
With mine i can connect with both ethernet and wifi..

- digitaldesaster - 2011-01-24

after flashing the original-firmware network was ok. so one more try with the modified firmware. and voila ..... network is ok.

i think the problem was, that on my first try i had no network connection (no wlan, no ethernet plugged in) during the setup process. no i plugged in a ethernet cable during the setup phase and everything went well..

so i am "root" :-) --> lets go to the next step

edit: can confirm that it works, 720p streaming works well.

wonder how much space is on internal flash? so xbmc installs about 30MB.

regards
dd

- vike105 - 2011-01-24

BTW, you guys don't have to restart your whole computer if your ItunesHelper.exe goes down. Just go into your itunes installation folder and restart it by double clicking on it. If its complaining about Itunes.exe not being up, just start up itunes.

- Numus - 2011-01-24

vike105 Wrote:BTW, you guys don't have to restart your whole computer if your ItunesHelper.exe goes down. Just go into your itunes installation folder and restart it by double clicking on it. If its complaining about Itunes.exe not being up, just start up itunes.

Didn't know that... I think itunes is a parasite, hense this is my first experimenting with it