Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- mason - 2011-03-08

Hey dushmaniac, can you elaborate a little bit on the development progress? I see a lot of activity the last 2 month. Im still running your dharmapvr ppa but want to refresh my install soon... is it worth a wait for a new pvrmaster package?

can't add muxes - bigdawgte - 2011-03-08

Am using TVHE 2.12 svn 5683~odk1 on Ubu 10.04, and have a number of niggling issues, few of which I see others are having. I am attempting to use the dvb driver for Silicon Dust HDHomerun, in the United States for Clear QAM (ATSC) cable channels, so this adds to the complications. Any way, while I can add the default muxes using "Add DVB Network by Location" with the built in muxes, I found that at least four of the muxes I need (831, 843, 849 and 855 mhz) were missing. I have tried to add those muxes manually, but TVHE does not permit me to add any muxes - it simply does not respond to clicking the add muxes manually button, even if I delete all of the muxes added by location first. (I was able to add one of the muxes by creating a file in the ~/home/hts/.hts/tvheadend/dvbmuxes, but it did not work for all of the muxes and did not persist when I reconfigured.) Likewise, there does not seem to be any way to edit the default list of muxes - this seems strange to me, why is there no config file list of the muxes? Can anyone figure out why it will not permit me to add muxes?

Moreover, when I first attempted to connect to the TVHE server from XBMC-PVR, I was able to do it successfully the first time (and it was GLORIOUS w/the epg, recording etc.), but every time since, XBMC-PVR crashes when it logs in. Soooo... Please help!

- LuPoX - 2011-03-08

Hi, I have set the xbmc with this program, but my question is, is there a way to share the tv with another computer running xbmc? I have a video capture card in this pc, but I want to watch TV in the other by network if possible

- joethefox - 2011-03-08

but when you set xbmc don't you specify a tvheadend server address, even if 127.0.0.1? so in a second xbmc installation you have to set the proper server IP address (and proper set tvheadend to allow connections from your local network clients). If your card has only one tuner you can watch two simultaneous channels only if they are in the same mux.

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-09

@mason:
there will be a new PPA build this week if I get a couple of issues fixed this week, so it might be worth to wait indeed.

@bigdawgte:
that issue might be fixed in a more recent tvheadend. a newer build will be sent along with the new xbmc build this week. if it's not fixed with that, you should report your problem on tvheadends issue tracker or irc channel.

if you got crashes on startup with the "old ppa build", try deleting ~/.xbmc/userdata/MyTV4.db

@LuPoX:
you really should read about the software that you're installing, and escpecially what tvheadend actually does.

- mason - 2011-03-09

thanks for the info dushmaniac, i gladly wait!

How to update to 10.1? - odoll - 2011-03-10

@dushmaniac: any recommendations how the ones which use your ppa should react to the recently released Dharma 10.1 Bug Fix version?

sorry for the n00b Q, but what be the right approach to swing back to the official release (*)? Or could we expect one of your versions so be build on the latest 10.1 soon as well?
--
thx & cheers
Oliver

(*) frankly though I'm using your binary I'm not using the "Live TV" option, but working with a HTSP link in the Video section ;-)

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-10

I won't do any Dharma based releases anymore. The PVR code is completely different from what it was when Dharma (and Dharma-pvr) was released and I'm not going to backport that all.

Like I've said before, I'll probably publish new builds this week, but those will be created from the current development tree. That tree is not compatible with Dharma and you cannot go back to Dharma after installing it, without recreating your database files.

These are the issues that I want to have a look at before releasing anything:
all os'es:
- renumbering channels and hiding channels hasn't been fully re-implemented yet.
- can't schedule timers in tvheadend due to a change in upstream. will have to change a couple of things in tvheadend (htsp.c) to allow timers without coupled EPG events.

windows:
- opening streams doesn't always work on windows when using tvheadend (failures in ReadResult()). retrying a couple of times is a work around. haven't investigated the cause yet. I've seen similar behaviour on linux, when the EPG is being updated, but it happens 50% of the time on windows.
- cpvrtimerinfotag values are (displayed) incorrectly on windows. probably out of scope values being used.
- entering the timer window crashes xbmc on windows. probably same cause as the previous

I might have a look at those windows issues after finishing up on linux, so the windows release will probably follow a bit later.

I'll contact the other addon developers, to ask to send me their latest stable changes, so those can be included in the build.

To be absolutely clear: this doesn't mean PVR is ready to be merged with mainline XBMC yet!

- Razor_109 - 2011-03-10

Nice good to hear a new build is coming!

Any chance you have some sparetime to summerise the changes you've made and which improvements to expect? Or will there not be much diffrence for the end-user and you soley cleaned up the code?

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-10

It's mainly a rewrite of large parts of the pvr related code and it contains a lot of bugfixes.

This is what end users will notice (but I know I'm forgetting a lot here):
- the stability and speed will be improved greatly
- channels can be part of multiple groups now
- changes in the backend (timers changed, channels changed, etc.) will appear in xbmc within a second
- channel settings are stored and used properly now

For tvheadend users:
- zapping time improved greatly
- xbmc will use tvheadend's channel order and channel icons now
- some bugfixes in the addon

There are also some interesting changes in mainline xbmc that have been merged, like a new ffmpeg.

A full log can be found on github: https://github.com/opdenkamp/xbmc/commits/master

- jacksback - 2011-03-10

Do you sleep much? Smile

Awesome change list. Eagerly waiting to try it out

Thanks man

- mason - 2011-03-10

Can't thank you enough with all youre effort here, otherwise pvr would be pretty much at the bottom of the priority list!!

- Razor_109 - 2011-03-10

Cool! Awesome changelog! Even more excited now for the new release!

Thanks for the hard work!

@kinda offtopic
I've been having alot of trouble with Oscam crashing without errors or notices in logs.. anyone else suffering the same? I haven't had the time to post a full debug log in a forum somewhere but maybe there are known issues! Oscam crashes at least once in 5 days, never get uptime above 5 days, often even less! Guessed there are a couple of oscam-user here in this topic Wink

- fl0PPsy - 2011-03-11

dushmaniac Wrote:Windows builds can be found here: http://xbmc.opdenkamp.eu/
The last build on there is broken atm though. New build will be done today or tomorrow.

Thanks very much for posting that link. I've given it a go and apart from crashing XBMC when you scroll over the TIMER button (which I never use anyway) I havent had any other issues. It seems to be working pretty well actualy.

Now if only I could get the Live TV menu item to pop up on the main menu when using the Aeon MQ2 skin Wink but thats a separate issue.

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-11

yeah I'm aware of that crash and some problems that probably have the same cause.