Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- joisey04 - 2011-03-11

apologies first if this is a dumb question:

If this makes it into a official release, will the frontend also work on the Apple TV2?? (With a Linux backend)

Thanks!

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-11

this is a testing release, not an official release.

since I don't own an atv2, I can't dev for that device.

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-11

fl0PPsy Wrote:apart from crashing XBMC when you scroll over the TIMER button (which I never use anyway) I havent had any other issues.
fixed in today's Windows build (git rev. 93f7e84)

timeshift issue - tomer1976 - 2011-03-11

Hi dushmaniac,

i have been using PVR with XBMC lately for testing in my HTPC and before i say anything, i thank you for your efforts and hard work on this thing.

i know many people asked you in the past about the "pause" not working in live TV. and I know your answer was "not yet implemented"
but still, this is the only thing left for me to get rid of mythtv and start using XBMC as my production, wife approved PVR.
can you please tell me if in the near future you are going to fix this issue?
best thing will be if it work like in MythTV, so it will record the live broadcast all the time and one will be able to go back and forward in the video even if the show wasn't recorded by the viewer.

Thanks again,
Tomer.

- opdenkamp - 2011-03-11

first prio is to get pvr included in mainline xbmc. timeshift won't be possible any time soon (unless someone sends me patches).

after pvr is merged, timeshift will be one of the first things I want to focus on.

- moontan77 - 2011-03-13

thanks for the new pvr build

couple of problems though, drops a lot of frames when displaying any video osd's (even the info screen) over live tv.

And also doesnt seem to be fluid when a channel is displaying in the window (the view with all the channels names on right hand side and the epg under the video window). The channel is being displayed in both the window and in fullscreen in the background which is probably the problem.

- ant_thomas - 2011-03-13

moontan77 Wrote:thanks for the new pvr build

couple of problems though, drops a lot of frames when displaying any video osd's (even the info screen) over live tv.

And also doesnt seem to be fluid when a channel is displaying in the window (the view with all the channels names on right hand side and the epg under the video window). The channel is being displayed in both the window and in fullscreen in the background which is probably the problem.

That's pretty much down to system spec. XBMC is rendering the interface and the video/LiveTV. It is even more intensive when you're deinterlacing.

- moontan77 - 2011-03-13

if its displaying the video in the window then theres no need for it to be in the background aswell. Anyways these frame drop problems didnt occur with the old build (and cpu usage is low).

Pre-11.0 and tvheadend - Won't Enable LiveTV? - Prof Yaffle - 2011-03-13

Hmmm...

Firstly, I've also got to say a huge "thank you" to the work Lars does on this. I played with other backends, wrestled MythTV to the floor but always wanted the simplicity of tvheadend and XBMC. Even my 4-year-old can use it... when I'm not ssh'ed in and breaking it, of course!

Now, praise notwithstanding, I updated to the new opdenkamp PPA version earlier... and promptly lost tvheadend. It's running okay - I can connect to the web server, and other applications will connect. But XBMC won't enable the LiveTV function, so that conversation stops there, pretty much.

I'm off to do some more digging (a subsequent apt-get update shows a whole load of new dependency issues since the upgrade that may be relevant), but I thought I'd post this here in case there's an underlying issue that anyone else is seeing. Looks like there's some dharma/pre-11 confusion, perhaps local to my box but it's not been knocked around *too* much from a clean install so maybe not.

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
xbmc: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:11.0-pvr+odk6~git20110313.1f2654c~ppa+odk6~lucid) but 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48 is installed
xbmc-data: Depends: xbmc-bin (< 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48.1~) but 2:11.0-pvr+odk6~git20110313.1f2654c~ppa+odk6~lucid is installed
xbmc-skin-confluence: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:11.0-pvr+odk6~git20110313.1f2654c~ppa+odk6~lucid) but 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48 is installed
xbmc-standalone: Depends: xbmc-data (= 2:11.0-pvr+odk6~git20110313.1f2654c~ppa+odk6~lucid) but 2:10.5-dharma+pvr~odk48 is installed

Time to dig... where's the spade...

Edit: trying to remember how I set this up originally, but there's no sign of any PVR entries in the System -> Addons -> Installed Addons. So that's probably the root of my woes.

- moontan77 - 2011-03-13

i had to re-add my xbmc pc to the access control section of tvheadend again for live tv to work.

- joisey04 - 2011-03-13

dushmaniac Wrote:first prio is to get pvr included in mainline xbmc. timeshift won't be possible any time soon (unless someone sends me patches).

after pvr is merged, timeshift will be one of the first things I want to focus on.

Can someone please tell me if, once it's in the mainline xbmc, it'll work on the atv2?

SOLVED: tvheadend not registering on xbmc-pvr pre-11 - Prof Yaffle - 2011-03-13

moontan77 Wrote:i had to re-add my xbmc pc to the access control section of tvheadend again for live tv to work.

Thanks, Moontan77 - nope, that's not it, I've explicitly added both real IP address and loopback, no change. I even tried "universal" access from 0.0.0.0/0, so I don't think it's that. Worth a check, though.

I'm still pointing to the lack of PVR add-ons... they're on the system (/usr/lib/xbmc/addons), but apparently not being registered.

Can someone who's running the new PPA version (ideally on Lucid LTS 10.4, but I'll take all comers!) check to see if the PVR addons - and specifically the HTS or TVHeadend one - are listed in System -> Addons, please?

EDIT:

Belay that - fixed, I think.

It was the dependency issue I mentioned above. A quick run of sudo apt-get -f install and all seems to be well, the PVR Clients have re-appeared as add-ons, tvheadend is already enabled and the Live TV function has re-appeared. All looks happy once more.

Hope that helps someone else, I'm not quite sure what happened there!

- xbmcuser2000 - 2011-03-13

Thanks Dushmaniac for this new build of XBMC-pvr and tvheadend. It has solved some problems that I previously had. Now I can see the channel icons and to play all channels without glitches.

- moontan77 - 2011-03-13

one other issue i just noticed with the new build

I was watching tv about 5 hours ago and just went back watching tv again on xbmc a few minutes ago, but the epg showing was still from 5 hours ago (pc is always on).

edit: seems ok now, not sure why epg was not up to date earlier

- XanDaph - 2011-03-14

xbmcuser2000 Wrote:Thanks Dushmaniac for this new build of XBMC-pvr and tvheadend. It has solved some problems that I previously had. Now I can see the channel icons and to play all channels without glitches.

First of all, I want to thank the pvr-testing team (especially Lars) for this great app. I've been using the xbmc for a long time now (starting on the old Xbox) and now or a few months also Tvheadend. Brilliant!! Thanks again!

I noticed the new XBMC-pvr and tvheadend builds, but somehow I can't upgrade to those new versions, when I do a "sudo apt-get install hts-tvheadend" I'll get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
hts-tvheadend is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 36 not upgraded.

Has the PPA been changed? Or am I doing something wrong?

Many Thanks!!