Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- bas.t - 2011-04-21

Hi,
I still have some lockups of xbmc. When this happens, xbmc will stop logging as well. So maybe it whould be helpfull to kill xbmc like this?

Code:
killall -SIGSEGV xbmc.bin

This whould generate a crashlog.

What other actions whould you like me to do to help you?

Cheers,

Bas.

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

that should produce a crashlog indeed. never tried it actually.
you could also start xbmc from within gdb, do a ctrl+z when it locks up and type "thread apply all bt" and pass me the full output.

- joethefox - 2011-04-21

one thought... do you think is feasible to modify confluence skin channel groups navigation to reflect a two level navigation like when you navigate an htsp source video? I mean a list with the groups in the channels list and then inside the group channels. I hope I was clear Oo

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

it's clear Smile but I'm not spending time on the skins myself at this time. a lot of pvr related windows and dialogs need a redesign later.

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

kdevane Wrote:Just updated to the latest PVR copy xbmc and tvheadend from PPA this evening.

The server running tvheadend has a dual DVB-S2 tuner.

If i have tvheadend recording a program and try to access another channel from the Live TV menu xbmc just quits and restarts, this is from the log just as i select the second channel to when xbmc restarts.

http://pastebin.com/dYTSpQ0c

The problem doesn't happen when i select a channel from the vidoe menu where I have a source setup using htsp://xx.xx.xx.xx:9982/

Didn't have this problem up till i did the update this evening.
sorry, missed this post earlier. could you create a ticket on trac for this issue and attach a crashlog to it (not the one you pastebinned but the crashlog). thanks.

- joethefox - 2011-04-21

Totally agree with your priorities. Whereas you know the code very well (Rofl), do you think that can be done by looking into the skin code? if you give me a right direction maybe I try to do something if I can...

- bas.t - 2011-04-21

dushmaniac Wrote:that should produce a crashlog indeed. never tried it actually.
you could also start xbmc from within gdb, do a ctrl+z when it locks up and type "thread apply all bt" and pass me the full output.

How do I start xbmc from within gdb?

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

joethefox Wrote:Totally agree with your priorities. Whereas you know the code very well (Rofl), do you think that can be done by looking into the skin code? if you give me a right direction maybe I try to do something if I can...
you'll need to change some skinning code in addons/skin.confluence/720p/ViewsPVR.xml
and you'll have to change the code that fills the window: xbmc/pvr/windows/GUIWindowPVRChannels.cpp

bas.t Wrote:How do I start xbmc from within gdb?
Code:
gdb /path/to/xbmc.bin
run

- bas.t - 2011-04-21

dushmaniac Wrote:that should produce a crashlog indeed. never tried it actually.

Ok, I'll do that.

"thread apply all bt" results in a specific file? Or do I use it like this:
Code:
thread apply all bt > /path/to/file

PS: Should I install xbmc-dbg, or any other package?

UPDATE:

no xbmc-dbg is available for the current build, so starting xbmc from within gdb results in this:
Code:
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb)

Maybe you should build a current xbmc-dbg, so we can help you?

Cheers,

Bas.

- Nemphys - 2011-04-21

I just (accidentally) found something really interesting:

When I add any channel to the Favorites list and then switch to it from this list (NOT from the normal LiveTV menus), the osd controls are not the LiveTV controls, but the video playback controls and the channel name is the TvHeadend stream number (this is a bug, of course, but it is not the point of this post).

The really interesting part is that pressing the Pause button actually pauses (and resumes, if pressed again) playback. After pausing, even fast forward works (but not rewind). I don't know how you call this, but I would definitely call it time-shift (!)
I thought I had read somewhere a post by andoma saying that time-shift is still not implemented in TvHeadend...

The question is: since it seems to work (almost) fine like that, why not include it properly in the normal osd controls?

Dushmaniac, your insights are requested here (btw, I further commented on my pull request after you replied, please take a look)

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

bas.t Wrote:Maybe you should build a current xbmc-dbg, so we can help you?
I'll check it out, but I'm not maintaining the packaging scripts myself. you could also just build from source which is pretty easy, even to non coders. there's a wiki page about it

Nemphys Wrote:The really interesting part is that pressing the Pause button actually pauses (and resumes, if pressed again) playback. After pausing, even fast forward works (but not rewind). I don't know how you call this, but I would definitely call it time-shift (!)
I thought I had read somewhere a post by andoma saying that time-shift is still not implemented in TvHeadend...
it's not implemented in tvheadend, that's xbmc, or rather the tvheadend add-on.

Quote:The question is: since it seems to work (almost) fine like that, why not include it properly in the normal osd controls?
the "almost" part Smile what is happening is that you paused the player, which makes the demuxer stop reading packets from the add-on. the add-on's reader thread is still active and keeps reading packets until it's buffer is full (which will happen pretty soon). as soon as it's full, it'll just ignore further input from tvheadend.

so the point is, there's no timeshift implementation yet, that control shouldn't be visible there and the player should not be allowed to pause.

- Nemphys - 2011-04-21

OK, got it

- kdevane - 2011-04-21

@dushmaniac

Thanks, i've posted to trac now, hopefully done it ok

- bas.t - 2011-04-21

dushmaniac Wrote:I'll check it out, but I'm not maintaining the packaging scripts myself. you could also just build from source which is pretty easy, even to non coders. there's a wiki page about it

OK, I'll build it myself.
Just one question: you stated in another thread that I should do, before building:
Code:
git reset --hard HEAD
git clean -xfd

Is that still valid?

- opdenkamp - 2011-04-21

it is