Kodi Community Forum
Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: Linux HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way! (/showthread.php?tid=91716)

- NeXrom - 2011-12-01

Hey Guys!

I'm using openelec with tvheadend but i can't get the Live-TV started. Theres no problem with the radio channels Rolleyes

If I try to start a tv channel the system tries to start bu than it shown the main menu

Heres the log from the TV head end Configurationpage

Code:
Nov 30 22:22:45 subscription: "127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]" subscribing on "arte HD", weight: 150, adapter: "Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020", network: "ASTRA 1", mux: "ASTRA 1: 11,361,750 kHz Horizontal (Default (Port 0, Universal LNB))", provider: "ZDFvision", service: "arte HD", quality: 100
Nov 30 22:22:45 TS: Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020/ASTRA 1: 11,361,750 kHz Horizontal (Default (Port 0, Universal LNB))/arte HD: Transport error indicator
Nov 30 22:22:45 TS: Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020/ASTRA 1: 11,361,750 kHz Horizontal (Default (Port 0, Universal LNB))/arte HD: H264 @ #6210: Continuity counter error
Nov 30 22:22:45 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]: Disconnected
Nov 30 22:22:45 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]: Disconnected
Nov 30 22:22:45 subscription: "127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]" unsubscribing from "arte HD"
Nov 30 22:22:45 htsp: 127.0.0.1 [ XBMC Media Center ]: Write error -- Broken pipe
Nov 30 22:22:47 htsp: Got connection from 127.0.0.1
Nov 30 22:22:47 htsp: 127.0.0.1: Welcomed client software: XBMC Media Center

This came over if I try to start a channel.

Maybe someone could help Smile

- Marco1984 - 2011-12-01

Hallo Community.
Ich hoffe es stört hier keinen das ich hier auf Deutsch schriebe.

Ich sitze jetzt schon 4 Monate an tvheadend und bekomme es einfach nicht configuriert Sad.

so 2 Probleme die ich habe:
seit neusten wenn ich den tvheadend dienst beende und neustarte, erhalte ich keinen zugriff mehr auf das Webinterface:
Code:
tvheadend@tvheadend-HVM-domU:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/tvheadend stop
tvheadend@tvheadend-HVM-domU:~$ tvheadend
[INFO]:dvb: Found adapter /dev/dvb/adapter0 (Philips TDA10023 DVB-C) via PCI
[INFO]:dvr: Creating new configuration ''
[WARNING]:dvr: Output directory for video recording is not yet configured for DVR configuration "". Defaulting to to "/home/tvheadend/Videos". This can be changed from the web user interface.
[INFO]:CSA: Using SSE2 128bit parallel descrambling
[NOTICE]:START: HTS Tvheadend version 2.12 started, running as PID:25861 UID:1000 GID:1000, settings located in '/home/tvheadend/.hts/tvheadend'
[INFO]:AVAHI: Service 'Tvheadend' successfully established.
[ERROR]:HTTP: 10.0.0.24: /comet/poll -- 401
[ERROR]:HTTP: 10.0.0.24: /dvr -- 401

so mein zweites Problem ist das ich im Kabelnetz von Kabeldeutschland bin,
und Kabeldeutschland, leider nicht in den DVB Networks bei tvheadend vorhanden sind, ich habe die muxes zwar manuell hinzugefügt, aber services hat er leider keine gefunden.

Ich hoffe es finden sich hier Deutschsprachige User die mir ein Bisschen unter die Arme greifen können.

Lg Marco

- kuseman - 2011-12-01

@Marco1984

You forgot to filter your post through google translate before submitting Smile

- Marco1984 - 2011-12-01

@kuseman
Google translate is very bad, but ok.

i have 2 Problems:
when i restart tvheadend, I get no more access to the web interface:
Code:
tvheadend@tvheadend-HVM-domU:~$ /etc/init.d/tvheadend stop
[WARNING]:dvr: Output directory for video recording is not yet configured for DVR configuration "". Defaulting to to "/home/tvheadend/Videos". This can be changed from the web user interface.
[NOTICE]:START: HTS Tvheadend version 2.12 started, running as PID:25861 UID:1000 GID:1000, settings located in '/home/tvheadend/.hts/tvheadend'

can someone help me-

Lg Marco1984

- bossanova808 - 2011-12-01

Question - my server is windows (for work reasons I can't avoid) - is it possible to run TVHeadEnd in a virtual machine succesfully? Has anyone actually done this with success? My initial experiments with VirtualBox and my Sony PlayTV plugged into the Windows host have not been succesful - I can get the Ubuntu VM to see the dvb adaptors and TvHeadEnd seems to start scanning but doesn't find any services. If I use the tuner direct in Windows (MCE) it works perfectly...

- bas.t - 2011-12-01

Marco1984 Wrote:@kuseman
Google translate is very bad, but ok.

i have 2 Problems:
when i restart tvheadend, I get no more access to the web interface:
Code:
tvheadend@tvheadend-HVM-domU:~$ /etc/init.d/tvheadend stop

can someone help me-

Lg Marco1984

Have a look at this, it might solve your problem. (also searching the forum does, your second problem is discussed in this forem too)

- bas.t - 2011-12-01

Bitcrusher Wrote:Thanks for your help so far. I tried changing the script, but it didn't work, so I installed the .deb file manualy from the pulse-eight repo. I now have 2.12.99~pulse-2 installed, but no luck. Still no RTL HD No.

You could try to configure tvheadend from scratch. Meaning: rename the tvheadend folder (/home/hts/.hts/tvheadend) and restart tvheadend.
If you are having trouble accessing the tvheadend webui after renaming the tvheadend folder you can do this.

tvheadend running in VM on Windows 7 works!! - bossanova808 - 2011-12-02

bossanova808 Wrote:Question - my server is windows (for work reasons I can't avoid) - is it possible to run TVHeadEnd in a virtual machine succesfully? Has anyone actually done this with success? My initial experiments with VirtualBox and my Sony PlayTV plugged into the Windows host have not been succesful - I can get the Ubuntu VM to see the dvb adaptors and TvHeadEnd seems to start scanning but doesn't find any services. If I use the tuner direct in Windows (MCE) it works perfectly...

Ok to answer my own question....

let me just say WOW - I had no idea the PVR functionality was so slick and awesome already.

Ok - yes, you can run tvheadend in a virtual machine. I was not able to get it to work with VirtualBox, so I tried VMWare Player (both are free).

In brief:
  • I had a TV aerial installed at my house (I haven't used live TV for so long I didn't realise my old house didn't have a working TV port!!)
  • I installed Ubuntu 11.10 onto VMWare Player
  • Passed my USB TV tuner in (a Sony Play TV using Elgato Eye TV Diversity drivers, give two HD tuners in a very neat, one aerial port cheap as chips box!)
  • I followed the 3 line instructions at the beginning of this thread
  • Downloaded the .deb for tvheadend from pulse and manually installed that
  • Re-built the dvb drivers because there are dvb bugs in kernel 3 with my TV device
  • Rebooted the VM in bridge mode so it had an easy to find IP address on my network
  • Set up TVHeadEnd - this was almost instant.
  • Added a user
  • Downloaded and installed the margo8 win-pvr build of pre-eden
  • Enabled and configured the theheadend client add on
  • Restarted XBMC

...and BOOM, live TV, all good, all HD, streaming over wireless to my laptop no less.

I am a little bit bewildered at how well this is working, I honestly wasn't sure at all I could get it working via a VM, that the PVR side of XBMC would be any good (how could I doubt it?? sorry!).

I will do a full blog post about it all later, and I have let to get my non-test clients going (currently running openelec Dharma) - but it's off to a truly amazing start.

You people are amazing, seriously - this is so slick. It's going to blow my family and friends away (most of whom are already xbmc converts).

- Snippo - 2011-12-02

I can't seem to get TVheadend work. After having issues with it on OpenELEC I now installed Ubuntu and followed the first post. I succesfully installed TVheadend and the TV-card drivers (TBS6981) but I can't seem to find any channels.
When I add the Astra 19.2E satellite it adds only 1 mux and then stays on 'Muxes awaiting initial scan: 1'. Astra 23.5E adds 30 muxes but doesn't find any channels either. (The 'Map DVB services to channel' always stays gray)
I had the same problem on OpenELEC. I did try to scan channels with w-scan, but it doesn't detect the TV card for some reason.
I really have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it, so I hope someone can help me.

Edit: I managed to get w-scan to work. It found lots of channels on Astra 19.2. Tvheadend still doesn't find anything Confused. Is there any way I can import a channels.conf in TVheadend?

- eluminx - 2011-12-03

Is there anyway to make this work without the NIT-o Network ID?

- LeeG - 2011-12-03

go to configuration>TV Adaptor (select your adaptor)>multiplexes> add Mux(es) Manually

you'll probably have to google to find out your transmitters multiplex frequencies to enter manually.

- moontan77 - 2011-12-03

bossanova808 Wrote:Ok to answer my own question....

let me just say WOW - I had no idea the PVR functionality was so slick and awesome already.

Ok - yes, you can run tvheadend in a virtual machine. I was not able to get it to work with VirtualBox, so I tried VMWare Player (both are free).

In brief:
  • I had a TV aerial installed at my house (I haven't used live TV for so long I didn't realise my old house didn't have a working TV port!!)
  • I installed Ubuntu 11.10 onto VMWare Player
  • Passed my USB TV tuner in (a Sony Play TV using Elgato Eye TV Diversity drivers, give two HD tuners in a very neat, one aerial port cheap as chips box!)
  • I followed the 3 line instructions at the beginning of this thread
  • Downloaded the .deb for tvheadend from pulse and manually installed that
  • Re-built the dvb drivers because there are dvb bugs in kernel 3 with my TV device
  • Rebooted the VM in bridge mode so it had an easy to find IP address on my network
  • Set up TVHeadEnd - this was almost instant.
  • Added a user
  • Downloaded and installed the margo8 win-pvr build of pre-eden
  • Enabled and configured the theheadend client add on
  • Restarted XBMC

...and BOOM, live TV, all good, all HD, streaming over wireless to my laptop no less.

I am a little bit bewildered at how well this is working, I honestly wasn't sure at all I could get it working via a VM, that the PVR side of XBMC would be any good (how could I doubt it?? sorry!).

I will do a full blog post about it all later, and I have let to get my non-test clients going (currently running openelec Dharma) - but it's off to a truly amazing start.

You people are amazing, seriously - this is so slick. It's going to blow my family and friends away (most of whom are already xbmc converts).

might have to give this a try myself as i'd like to have windows but at the same time nothing beats tvheadend. Do you need two network cards? And can tvheadend save recordings on one of the windows drives?

and do you know if pci-e is supported by virtual machines? have some usb tuners but would be handy if pci-e worked aswell.

btw how do you rebuild the drivers for the playtv tuner as i have the same one

cheers

- PANiCnz - 2011-12-03

moontan77 Wrote:and do you know if pci-e is supported by virtual machines? have some usb tuners but would be handy if pci-e worked aswell.
I think PCI passthrough has limited support in VirtualBox, not sure about the desktop variants of VMWare. Helps if you have a motherboard that supports VT-d, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

- eluminx - 2011-12-03

LeeG Wrote:go to configuration>TV Adaptor (select your adaptor)>multiplexes> add Mux(es) Manually

you'll probably have to google to find out your transmitters multiplex frequencies to enter manually.

No luck, when i try to add the muxes manually nothing happens. It shows a list of 147 services but they all say unmapped.

edit: Is it normal for it to say 347 muxes?

- bossanova808 - 2011-12-03

moontan77 Wrote:might have to give this a try myself as i'd like to have windows but at the same time nothing beats tvheadend. Do you need two network cards? And can tvheadend save recordings on one of the windows drives?

and do you know if pci-e is supported by virtual machines? have some usb tuners but would be handy if pci-e worked aswell.

btw how do you rebuild the drivers for the playtv tuner as i have the same one

cheers

I don't know much about it really, just what I have tried.

VirtualBox - lots of issues, VMWare, much easier.

One network card is fine, the VM is run in bridge mode and talks to it directly, just gets an IP from DHCP and it's as if it was a separate machine really. Seems to be plenty of bandwidth, no issues there - hell, it was streaming over 11g to my old clunker of a laptop...

RE: the play TV, I followed this:
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/838130)
..it will be patched in later kernels but an easy fix is to follow this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/838130/comments/17

...works perfect after that.

PCI-E - don't know - USB pass through is obviously quite robust though, so I'd use your USB tuners...they are cheap as chips, too.

I will post a more thorough guide once I have tested it more and have some time...