Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2/iOS] Unofficial builds for testing! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2/iOS] Unofficial builds for testing! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED (/showthread.php?tid=92261)

- dacapo - 2011-02-24

ajnicho Wrote:thanks, I take it that's more up to date than the official release.

Actually, I think the latest official build 10.0.7 is newer than the latest nightly on this thread.

Basically, in reading the front page of the site, it looks like the devs will hold off on making much additional changes until the code can be merged into the main trunk. So, that would probably mean that the nightlies will not have much action for now. I'm sure keith will update when a new nightly is available.

- ajnicho - 2011-02-24

Then what version are people talking about? "Keith's version" thats fixing everyone's problems ??

- dacapo - 2011-02-24

ajnicho Wrote:Then what version are people talking about? "Keith's version" thats fixing everyone's problems ??

Between the official drops (the latest of which was 3 days or so ago), Keith does a build anytime there are changes committed to git. The last nightly that I know of is dated 2/17. I for one have found Keith's builds to be immensely valuable in tying me over between the official builds.

Not sure what you are asking, but, if you want the nightly builds, you can look at the first post. Keith is quite diligent in tracking any changes and updating the post when appropriate.

I hope you're not thinking that Keith has a separate version. What he is doing is simply building the latest into a deb for us to install and test out. Sometimes (usually) the nightlies will resolve some user's issue, and that's why you'll see an exclamatory statement here and there, e.g. hovnarr.

- keith - 2011-02-24

Couldn't have said it better myself, dacapo.

The XBMC guys made it clear that 10.0-7 will be the last official for awhile, most likely until the merge happens.

For all of you that don't know, what this basically means is in order to make xbmc-ios, they have branched the code so they can work on XBMC-IOS without affecting the normal progression of XBMC dev cycle. Now they XBMC-IOS is working good, that branch needs to be brought back to Trunk, mainline or master, but all means the same thing. It's essentially bringing all software back under one branch, merging everything together.
(if that doesn't make sense, click on the Trunk and Branched links to read more about how this work)

So now is some of the most difficult parts because the devs need to care about how any changes they make affect other platforms and make sure everything they merge doesn't break anything, everywhere.

Keep in mind XBMC officially runs on OSX/Intel, OSX/PPC, Linux, Windows and soon to be iOS. Not counting the bits of code laying around for LiveCD, beagleboard and various other things. It's a MASSIVE undertaking and I can't think another project this open and large that does so much and has this many dependencies and hardware supported. (Besides Linux itself, but XBMC takes much longer to compile than the Linux kernel!)

Once this is done, there will be an automated buildbot to 'take over' what I've helped with. Doesn't mean all the work is done!

I'm sure everyone wants to see the XBMC-IOS branch be as stable as an xbox (well maybe not Davilla since he never used XBMC on an xbox haha) so testing will still need to be done, bugs will need squashing and like always, forum posts will be need to be answered so everyone wins.

I'm still unsure if I will be building anything during the merge really it's up to the devs if they think it's worthwhile.

I'm still in amazement how far the project has came, in less than a month! The entire port in less than 5 months! Incredible.
I may sound like a broken record since I feel like I thank the devs every other post, but I wish I could explain how incredible this is, as anyone who has had experience with software development cycles can probably attest too.
So thanks. Every person who made it happen, there's still a long ways to go, but I use it everyday and don't cuss at it nearly as much as everything else I use to display media and that makes all the difference in the world.

- hovnarr - 2011-02-24

Keith,

Issue, why is audio streaming through HDMI when I have settings put to optic? I receive sound through optic too, but have to put down volume on TV. Do you have a code for the issue I can try with?

- one800higgins - 2011-02-24

hovnarr Wrote:Keith,

Issue, why is audio streaming through HDMI when I have settings put to optic? I receive sound through optic too, but have to put down volume on TV. Do you have a code for the issue I can try with?

I assume you have HDMI to TV for video and optical to receiver for sound? Just set your TV to "use external speakers" or some similar setting.

- alexioklini - 2011-02-24

hi keith!

Thanks to you and the whole xbmc team for making this available.

For me the big question is, if your latest build is any different than the latest official one ?
Is it possible to get such an info myself (from git?) ?

Thanks,
Alex

- dazex - 2011-02-24

alexioklini,
Just look at the Git link to ATV2 from the first page. The date of keith's build will usually contain all of the commits for that day. So anything added past that date would be in the newer build.

You'll see that keith's build is the 17th. And the official build has all the commit up to the 19th. Now you know how to figure it out yourself. Holler if it's still doesn't make sense.

- dacapo - 2011-02-24

keith Wrote:... there's still a long ways to go, but I use it everyday and don't cuss at it nearly as much as everything else I use to display media and that makes all the difference in the world.

Definitely second that sentiment. The WDTV I had was better on paper (specs) but it kept mysteriously losing my network at odd times and complaining that it couldn't play certain videos when it had played that same video without a hitch earlier in the day. Rolleyes

My ATV2 + XBMC is pretty close to all that I want in a media player, and if/when the higher def playback gets a bit smoother, it will definitely have everything!Nod

- dazex - 2011-02-24

I thought the WDTV Live was gonna be the device for me as well. Coming from an original Xbox with XBMC on it for many, many years. It was a huge disappointment once I hooked up the WDTV Live.

Sadly, XBMC was ahead of it's time and even now, with all the mired of media streaming devices out there, they have a hard time keeping up with my Revo with miniUbuntu/XBMC self built appliance box.

Anyways what's up with these "modern" media streaming boxes with such poorly design UIs? Anyways, I had stutter and hiccups with the WDTV Live whereas my Revo XBMC played fine. So I returned the WDTVLive and invested in ATV2 to do Netflix and iTunes sharing. Now, with XBMC, it makes a great little media streaming device for the price. It'll only get better from here...but am satisfy as it is already.

- one800higgins - 2011-02-24

dacapo Wrote:Definitely second that sentiment. The WDTV I had was better on paper (specs) but it kept mysteriously losing my network at odd times and complaining that it couldn't play certain videos when it had played that same video without a hitch earlier in the day. Rolleyes

My ATV2 + XBMC is pretty close to all that I want in a media player, and if/when the higher def playback gets a bit smoother, it will definitely have everything!Nod

As soon as I get Harmony key stroke support on the ATV, I will be set. I can deal with small bugs and what not, but not being able to map the buttons to keyboard presses is really killing me.

- keith - 2011-02-25

No idea, haven't seen that issue.

- hovnarr - 2011-02-25

Keith,

When I force movie to play in DTS sound, no audio from TV is coming, only from reciever (Good)! I think thats weird.

- pooh - 2011-02-25

keith Wrote:No idea, haven't seen that issue.

I can confirm that setting both HDMI or Optical doesn't make a difference. Sound will be still played through the HDMI connection.

- pooh - 2011-02-25

When I force movie to play in DTS sound, no audio from TV is coming, only from reciever (Good)! I think thats weird.

hovnarr, please report possible bugs to the team, not to individual team members.

How to report possible bugs: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=707130&postcount=1