Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2/iOS] Unofficial builds for testing! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: [AppleTV2/iOS] Unofficial builds for testing! NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED (/showthread.php?tid=92261)

- hovnarr - 2011-02-25

pooh Wrote:I can confirm that setting both HDMI or Optical doesn't make a difference. Sound will be still played through the HDMI connection.

Not if you force movie to play in DTS.

Also, the settings are not saved, if you would like to change settings during playtime. Settings to prefer DTS instead of AC3. Also when i choose speakers, 5.1 it gets 7 in the guisettings.xml , impossible to get 5.1 for me at least.

I use Keiths build, so I chose to write a post here, seemed to be the proper way. If you want to report it please go ahead.

Problem with accessing video files from SMB share - Italo Disco - 2011-02-25

Using XBMC 10.0-7 on ATV2.

I have a PC with a shared folder that contains some TV series. Some episodes can be seen when using the ATV to play an episode, whilst others simply don't show up at all !? These episodes all have the same technical aspects (all H264 1280x720 with AC3 sound in an MKV container). There are no 'strange' characters in the file names.

I've tried all kinds of things, and looked at the debug logs. I cannot find anything that would point me in the right direction. It simply looks as if the ATV does not see all files in a folder that is being accessed via SMB.

I've tried accessing the episodes using XBMC v10 installed on that same PC, and that goes well. I've created a video library on the PC and unloaded it into a file. I then manually updated the links from a drive:\folder to smb://sharename in the xml file and transferred it to the ATV2. In XBMC I then imported the library. I now do see all episodes, but only the ones I already had in the library before can be played. The others don't play at all.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?

- dazex - 2011-02-25

Italo Disco,
You're having the problem in library mode right? For troubleshooting, can those files be seen and accessed via the "Video" menu? That would be my first test.

See if you can see the file, and secondly, play those file. Then we can narrow down whether it's a library issue of smb issue. Or possibly, something else entirely. But those are the troubleshooting steps I would employ.

- Italo Disco - 2011-02-26

dazex Wrote:Italo Disco,
You're having the problem in library mode right? For troubleshooting, can those files be seen and accessed via the "Video" menu? That would be my first test.

See if you can see the file, and secondly, play those file. Then we can narrow down whether it's a library issue of smb issue. Or possibly, something else entirely. But those are the troubleshooting steps I would employ.

The symptoms are the same in library mode as in non-library mode. When updating the library on the ATV2 not all episodes are discovered. When using non-library mode I can navigate to the series folder, and it shows the proper series fanart.jpg and folder.jpg but it does not show all episodes, it only shows a few. I also have folders of which all episodes are shown, as well as folders of which none of the episodes are shown.

Loading a library onto the ATV2 that has been built on a PC with XBMC will result in all episodes being visible on the ATV2 library, but not all of them will actually play. The non-library display will then only show the few episodes that do play.

I've posted a complete debug log of my actions at http://pastebin.com/eYaQAq17 in which you can see that only episode S07E06 plays, and the others of that season do not.

Edit: These two log lines are probably an indication of what goes wrong

23:19:20 T:170885120 M:107257856 INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://PAPPA%2dVISTA/SickBeard/CSI%20New%20York/Season%2007/CSI%2eNew%2eYork%2eS07E01%2eThe%2034th%20Floor%2e720p%2eWEB%2dDL%2eDD5%2e1%2eH%2e264%2dLP%2emkv'

unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

- dazex - 2011-02-26

Check to make sure you're not reaching a path+filename character limitation in the smb protocol.

On the file that you're having trouble playing, try shortening the filename to see if it works. If it does, then you've narrow down where the problem is.

- procrastinator - 2011-02-26

Italo Disco Wrote:23:19:20 T:170885120 M:107257856 INFO: FileSmb->Open: Unable to open file : 'smb://PAPPA%2dVISTA/SickBeard/CSI%20New%20York/Season%2007/CSI%2eNew%2eYork%2eS07E01%2eThe%2034th%20Floor%2e720p%2eWEB%2dDL%2eDD5%2e1%2eH%2e264%2dLP%2emkv'

unix_err:'2' error : 'No such file or directory'

Same thing happened to me on transferring my music library over

example: address on my Windows PC
smb://192.168.1.10/media/music/The Aliens/Astronomy for Dogs/Intro.mp3
became
smb://192%2e168%2e1%2e10/media/music/The%20Aliens/Astronomy%20for%20Dogs/Intro.mp3
on the ATV2

all spaces became "%20" and periods (.) became %2e. Don't know how/if this can be fixed

- dtviewer - 2011-02-26

procrastinator Wrote:Same thing happened to me on transferring my music library over

example: address on my Windows PC
smb://192.168.1.10/media/music/The Aliens/Astronomy for Dogs/Intro.mp3
became
smb://192%2e168%2e1%2e10/media/music/The%20Aliens/Astronomy%20for%20Dogs/Intro.mp3
on the ATV2

all spaces became "%20" and periods (.) became %2e. Don't know how/if this can be fixed

Is this somehow in a way related to my post here?:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94644

My problem came about because of moving my library to a windows machine and then back to the atv.

dtviewer Wrote:Is this somehow in a way related to my post here?:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94644

My problem came about because of moving my library to a windows machine and then back to the atv.

No. Although I did have that problem with my video library (also transferred from PC), i.e. not being able to add new content; what was already there played absolutely fine. I did the fix described in that thread for adding new content to the video, and that now works, but it was never really the problem for the music.

I did wonder if it was related to this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=730233&postcount=4
but then if that's the case why were the video librarys' addresses maintained in the correct format Huh

- vike105 - 2011-02-26

Is it just me or do the links for the latest versions not work right now?

vike105 Wrote:Is it just me or do the links for the latest versions not work right now?

No, not just you. Seem to be down for me too. The last build here isn't the most recent build available though. The last official build was on 19th Feb, last unofficial build (this thread) was 17th Feb, so if you're just after the most recent build then try these instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Update_XBMC_on_ATV2

- vike105 - 2011-02-26

procrastinator Wrote:No, not just you. Seem to be down for me too. The last build here isn't the most recent build available though. The last official build was on 19th Feb, last unofficial build (this thread) was 17th Feb, so if you're just after the most recent build then try these instructions:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Update_XBMC_on_ATV2

Perfect...haven't been on the forums in a little bit. Thanks.

dazex Wrote:Check to make sure you're not reaching a path+filename character limitation in the smb protocol.

On the file that you're having trouble playing, try shortening the filename to see if it works. If it does, then you've narrow down where the problem is.

That worked, but there's still something strange going on. S07E06 and S07E07 had the exact same length of path+filename, yet only S07E06 could be seen...

I've now shortened the length of the various paths and filenames, and it looks like most episodes of that show are now visible on the ATV2. I'll do some more digging and see if I can figure out at which threshold files become 'invisible'. Do you happen to know the path+filename max length allowed for smb?

----

Update: I've installed XBMC v10 on my laptop and created a SMB connection to the PC that has the TV series. It scans the directories and to my surprise all episodes are found and play just fine. The ATV2 that accesses that same PC only sees about half of the episodes. My conclusion is that the length of the path+filename is not the problem here. At least not as far as the SMB protocol is concerned.

Also: some of the episodes that the ATV2 does find have a really long filename. Much longer than other episodes which it does not find. So to me it looks like the length of the path+filename is not the actual problem here.

- dazex - 2011-02-26

Keep in mind that the two devices uses different compiled SMB protocol. So you're not comparing apples to apples because XBMC works on your laptop but not on the ATV2. Also, ATV2 is running older copy...and that's why the developers are in the process of merging to the main branch. This will get us up to whatever version of XBMC the main branch is running.

Also, when you're counting character, keep in mind that certain characters looks like a single character to you, but it may be translated to %234 behind the scene, therefore increasing the actual character count for that filename/path combo. Just make sure you take these factors in while debugging.

Good luck.

- [email protected] - 2011-02-26

http://music.hadm.net not available now. please tell me when it earns?

dazex Wrote:Keep in mind that the two devices uses different compiled SMB protocol. So you're not comparing apples to apples because XBMC works on your laptop but not on the ATV2. Also, ATV2 is running older copy...and that's why the developers are in the process of merging to the main branch. This will get us up to whatever version of XBMC the main branch is running.
That's good to know.

dazex Wrote:Also, when you're counting character, keep in mind that certain characters looks like a single character to you, but it may be translated to %234 behind the scene, therefore increasing the actual character count for that filename/path combo. Just make sure you take these factors in while debugging.

I'm aware of that. I'm using the %20 characters etc. visible in the debug log when counting. But I am now quite convinced that length is not the actual problem (or at least not the only problem...).

I took an mkv file that worked from day 1 and an mkv file that did not show up at all and placed them both in a folder close to the root (to create a short path). I renamed them to S01E01.mkv and S01E02.mkv and hey presto both files are visible and play ok. I then replaced the S01E01.mkv with another S01E01.mkv file that had trouble playing (so I just have 2 'problem' files in that folder, both with short names) and then neither of the files showed up anymore. It's as if one file in a folder can influence the behaviour of the entire folder. I'm now trying to figure out if it's perhaps related to the actual content of the mkv file, but so far I've not been able to come up with a pattern that could shed some light on this.

What really boggles me is that the S01E02.mkv file does show up if there's a 'good' S01E01.mkv present in the same folder, but does not show up if there's a 'bad' S01E01.mkv present.