Kodi Community Forum
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- griffore - 2008-11-15

XNA runs on the .NET compact framework, it is undetermined if one could create an "XBMC" app using the XNA framework... one could try.

XBMC is coded in C++ so a rewrite would be required.

- Jezz_X - 2008-11-15

Plus like you said its for games not other applications and MS wouldn't let a program like XBMC into their little live club

- digitalhigh - 2008-11-15

Jezz_X Wrote:Plus like you said its for games not other applications and MS wouldn't let a program like XBMC into their little live club

But XNA is designed to take full advantage of the 360's gpu capabilities, right? I understand that it would be a massive porting effort...but if it were to be done within the constraints of the XNA game studio, then how could they have a problem?

We know that MS has already taken some notes from the homebrew community...maybe it's crazy enough to think that with a little prodding, they would be willing to embrace a version of XBMC for the 360.

Xkey360 Modchip - Asswipe44 - 2008-12-06

Hey guys, I realize this issue has been recycled over and over again, but just wondering if it's now possible to somehow port xbmc to xbox 360 as it has apparently been hacked. Would a combination of the xkey360 modchip and a port of xbmc work with the 360 or is this completely out of the question?
Rofl

- arnova - 2008-12-06

The Xbox360 hasn't been fully hacked yet AFAIK. Only the DVD drive has been hacked allowing you to play copied games, that's it.... Apart from that I doubt that there are any developers that have the interest to port XBMC to yet another platform (Xbox360)....

- oneofayykind - 2008-12-07

I know that everyone on this forum has the xbox and not the 360. I don't understand why there aren't more people out there with a 360 that want to see software like this. I am about to make my tb hard drive fat32 so I can start loading all my blue ray movies onto it and then play directly from the 360. Why not have a media center on the thing that is customizable on how you want it to look like this software allows you to do?

So from what I understand no one is planning on making software like this?

Is it possible to put this software on your windows machine and then get into it by connecting your 360 to your pc and then playing your media that way?

- lisalover1 - 2008-12-10

The reason the 360 cannot run homebrew yet is because the only thing that has been modified so far is the DVD drive. Sure, there probably will eventually a way to run it through that, but since 360 games are checked via xbox live, it would mean either never being connected to the internet, or some really clever coding. I certainly hope that the 360 HDD is hacked; I would love to see the homebrew capability for this machine.

In regards to an XBMC release on the XNA game studio, that probably won't happen for 2 reasons. 1. The plugins used in XBMC connect to media and let you access them freely. A commercial release of this would cause copyright havoc. 2. Microsoft would never want to have people stop using the 360's standard Media Center, no matter how much better XBMC is.

- digitalhigh - 2008-12-10

lisalover1 Wrote:The reason the 360 cannot run homebrew yet is because the only thing that has been modified so far is the DVD drive. Sure, there probably will eventually a way to run it through that, but since 360 games are checked via xbox live, it would mean either never being connected to the internet, or some really clever coding. I certainly hope that the 360 HDD is hacked; I would love to see the homebrew capability for this machine.

In regards to an XBMC release on the XNA game studio, that probably won't happen for 2 reasons. 1. The plugins used in XBMC connect to media and let you access them freely. A commercial release of this would cause copyright havoc. 2. Microsoft would never want to have people stop using the 360's standard Media Center, no matter how much better XBMC is.

The 360 CAN run homebrew. An exploit was performed using a downgraded kernel and the king kong shader vulnerability and something about a timing attack to allow the usage of unsigned code. From that, it was made possible to run a version of linux.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/03/30/hacking-linux-onto-your-360-just-got-a-wee-bit-easier/

As far as MS allowing you to play media for free...the 360 already supports a fair variety of commonly-used media containers without a streaming program. Microsoft has already stopped forcing people to use the 360's standard media center. You can play .avi's straight off a CD or DVD with no conversion. Sounds pretty wide-open to me...

And I apologize if I'm not supposed to discuss anything about hacking the 360. I thought the info was pretty widely available...

- lisalover1 - 2008-12-10

Yes, but not everyone has a compatible 360 kernel, and we're just talking about homebrew, not running linux. There's a big difference. That's not to say that this isn't a significant leap foreward, but it still can't run specific 360 homebrew.

Also, I don't think I was very clear on my point about XBMC plugins. You don't pay for the media, but the plugins allow you to access it from various sites. The fact that a plugin IS a free streaming program is what Microsoft would be concerned about.

- digitalhigh - 2008-12-10

I'm not 100%, but I thought the infeCtus chip allowed for downgrading of the kernel to one of the two compatible versions, or maybe a total swap. Regardless, this was originally the only way that xbmc1 worked...modchips. I understand what you're saying about something universal...but I'm just talking about getting a foot in the door, and going from there.

I don't follow. Which plugins? Like shoutcast and stuff? Again, if you went the xna route, I'd think the first goal would be to get *something* going. Push it forward from there. The basic codecs are built into the 360's functionality...it's just a matter of whether or not MS allows the programmers to access that functionality.

- Asswipe44 - 2008-12-13

Thanks for the clarification. Cool

- arnova - 2009-01-02

Wow, 16 pages about something that will probably never ever happen.... ;-)

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-02

arnova Wrote:Wow, 16 pages about something that will probably never ever happen.... ;-)

Edit...Duh...you're being sarcastic? What's the secret? Or what am I missing?

Linux runs on the 360.

- arnova - 2009-01-02

Yes, it's meant sarcastic. The reasons I'm saying this are:
1) Hacking a Xbox360 is non-trivial; IMO it can't be done by (almost) novice users like with Xbox1. AFAIK it can only be done with the timing hack and/or an older kernel. This means that the target group is possibly too small;
2) I doubt whether there is a dev interested/will step up to create an Xbox360 port;
3) There is a good possibility that the code requires a lot of modification before it can run on Xbox360, even if run inside Linux. The reason for this is that I doubt that the SDL layer can work out of the box on Xbox360;
4) Although I'm still a big Xbox1-fan, I do think HTPC is the future especially when the Atom-based barebones become cheaper....

- spiff - 2009-01-02

linux also runs on a nes, a few casio watches, your favorite toaster etc.