Kodi Community Forum
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- Hitcher - 2009-08-13

Wasn't there a youtube video of this posted here a few weeks ago?

I seem to recall it took over 5 minutes to get running.

- Geeba - 2009-08-13

Can you imagine pushing some hi bit rate h264 through a hacked 360... it will sound like an airport!!!

360 imo is not a good media centre ..... unfortunately.. Sad

- azido - 2009-08-13

Geeba Wrote:Can you imagine pushing some hi bit rate h264 through a hacked 360... it will sound like an airport!!!

360 imo is not a good media centre ..... unfortunately.. Sad

dab dnuos ti dluohs yhw <- damned i wonder what happened to my firefox recently.. every time i hit reply and immediately start writing, it prints all out reverse..

ok, why should it sound bad? i mean, the limitation of playable content is the one set by ms codec-wise, isn't it?

- xbs08 - 2009-08-13

I dont have a 360 but i think he means the fans

- paul - 2009-08-13

xbs08 Wrote:I dont have a 360 but i think he means the fans
Your behind the times mate the newer 360 elites are no louder than most pc's.
I think it would make a perfect mediacentre if xbmc could me made to run on it.
I for one am interested to see what happens with itSmile
But i'm forgetting the devs have zero interest in doing it Sad

- azido - 2009-08-13

paul Wrote:Your behind the times mate the newer 360 elites are no louder than most pc's.
I think it would make a perfect mediacentre if xbmc could me made to run on it.
I for one am interested to see what happens with itSmile
But i'm forgetting the devs have zero interest in doing it Sad

even the elite ones will get noisy much more than a silent pc. i know, having a elite console 1 feet away which i bought half a year ago.

noise will rise as soon as the gpu has more to do than just exist.

- waldo22 - 2009-08-13

digitalhigh Wrote:But the fact of the matter is, I've got a 360 already, while I honestly don't even have the cash to buy me a nice ion setup. So to me, the concept is still quite appealing.

... and that is why this would be good for XBMC. Getting XBMC onto a box that someone already owns increases the adoption of XBMC, instead of someone having to go out and buy a computer/console.

I did watch the "proof-of-concept" video, though, and

1) it really was unbelievably loud
2) the GUI was rendered all in software, and was really slow, just as the Devs said it would be.

@azido,
what the guys are talking about that is holding us back is that we have no graphics drivers for the ATI Xenos (R500) chip, and thus no OpenGL support (which is necessary). Perhaps the same drivers that allow ATI chipset motherboards to work under Linux could somehow be made to work, but that's not at all certain.

The only other possibility would be to port to XNA and compile with the Xbox360 SDK instead of using OpenGl.

Due to the lack of interest from the devs, a port to XNA is all but out of the question unless someone steps up to code it.

I think unless some existing ATI chipset/graphics drivers can somehow be made to work and have OpenGL acceleration with little effort, this will take a long long time to happen...

-Wes

- digitalhigh - 2009-08-13

waldo22 Wrote:... and that is why this would be good for XBMC. Getting XBMC onto a box that someone already owns increases the adoption of XBMC, instead of someone having to go out and buy a computer/console.

2) the GUI was rendered all in software, and was really slow, just as the Devs said it would be.

@azido,
what the guys are talking about that is holding us back is that we have no graphics drivers for the ATI Xenos (R500) chip, and thus no OpenGL support (which is necessary). Perhaps the same drivers that allow ATI chipset motherboards to work under Linux could somehow be made to work, but that's not at all certain.

The only other possibility would be to port to XNA and compile with the Xbox360 SDK instead of using OpenGl.

Due to the lack of interest from the devs, a port to XNA is all but out of the question unless someone steps up to code it.

I think unless some existing ATI chipset/graphics drivers can somehow be made to work and have OpenGL acceleration with little effort, this will take a long long time to happen...

-Wes

It looks like there was basic work being done on GPU support. A bit outdated now...but...IDK maybe worth something to someone who knows what to do with it?
http://debugmo.de//?p=38

- azido - 2009-08-13

waldo22 Wrote:... and that is why this would be good for XBMC. Getting XBMC onto a box that someone already owns increases the adoption of XBMC, instead of someone having to go out and buy a computer/console.

@azido,

-Wes

very good points.

well, as a matter of fact: IF that hack will do the job (meaning: running arbirtary code on the 360 PLUS getting an os up and running that can communicate with all the hardware (audio/gpu/cpu,ram,hdd?) there will be many freaks out there that will most likely try to help making it a full featured (p)pc instead of just a console to type in "hello world". i'm not sure XNA coding will give us good results, as it is somehow restricted to what ms will allow us to do, isn't it? plus xna game development is up for quite some time now, ms announced the "unbelievable flow of new games coded by privateers to become available on xbox live market place" long ago - and there hasn't been much since today. i'm assuming a lack of interest here just because of restrictions.

now see those geeks out there who want to see a linux running on xbox 360. the interest is waaaay bigger. now let it be possible, what will be next? the question: ok, i've set up linux on my 360 - what can i do now? well, point those freaks to xbmc.org, and if only 2 out of 100 with enough knowledge say "ok, that's cool, let's do this", i'd say there won't be a reason why they shouldn't become part of the xbmc dev team.

so it's not that we have to beg our well known devs to knee deep into this subject, it's about more ppl with in-depth knowlegde in 360 specs have to be pointed here to combine powers for what we could see then: xbmc on the 360.

just my view of things..

- waldo22 - 2009-08-14

you're right about that.

The devs have always said they welcome patches, they just aren't interested themselves.

If someone else wants to do the work necessary to make the XBMC Linux branch run on the 360, I'm sure they'd be all for it!

So, yeah, azido, all we need are new geeky devs who are interested in doing this Smile

-Wes

- digitalhigh - 2009-08-14

Well, I'm still left to wonder why nobody's interested. Or, more so, if it's just that the devs who are posting here are not the ones we should be talking to. I would suggest petitioning the guys working on the PPC port for their help/input. Wink

- waldo22 - 2009-08-14

I think beenje already said he isn't interested in 360/PS3 development.

He just did PPC because he has G4/G5 Macs.

I don't really think it's that the dev's aren't interested, but more that there isn't a working graphics driver with OpenGL or a sound driver.

I think we have to lobby someone to get those working first (someone outside XBMC).

- azido - 2009-08-14

waldo22 Wrote:you're right about that.

The devs have always said they welcome patches, they just aren't interested themselves.

If someone else wants to do the work necessary to make the XBMC Linux branch run on the 360, I'm sure they'd be all for it!

So, yeah, azido, all we need are new geeky devs who are interested in doing this Smile

-Wes

oh, i'm sure they are interested. see spiff's (and other devs') ongoing comments on this subject. but i fully understand, it's like: "come on, get known to japanese so you can do me a favour and translate stuff for me - and do it without reading books. Yes, i know, you are able to translate chinese perfectly and i really benefit from that, but i want japanese, too" - something like that.

but right now the first thing needed is that hack being available and working. at present it isn't more than just rumours from ppl that were able to proof xbmc can start in a small window from a 360 and switch some menus - nothing more. many ppl will surely change minds and interests once the platform is establised and ready to be coded to.

- digitalhigh - 2009-08-14

waldo22 Wrote:I don't really think it's that the dev's aren't interested, but more that there isn't a working graphics driver with OpenGL or a sound driver.

I think we have to lobby someone to get those working first (someone outside XBMC).

http://debugmo.de/?p=65

This is an updated version of a GPU library with API.

Quote:Then, I’ve updated my GPU library a bit. The biggest thing was a rewrite of the interface, so now it’s all encapsulated into a nice API. I’ve also added some features (stencil buffer ops, drawing with index buffers), and fixed a LOT of bugs (for example vfetch patches on more complex shaders). The updated GPU library, included the mentioned “spinning cube” example, is available here: gpu-0.0.5.tar.gz.

Now, the buffer stuff is all greek to me...but it sounds like this would be the first step, right??

- waldo22 - 2009-08-14

That looks interesting, but what bothers me are the fact that this post is a year and a half old, and the following 2 questions remain unanswered (from the comments):

Posted 30th March, 2008
Quote:...is the API open GL complient...or are we looking at a long way to go?
Posted 11th December 2008
Quote:What would be really cool is if you could document on your site what needs to be done to implement opengl using this, places to start etc.. that way at least if you don’t do it then somebody else might make a start.

I hope that he has made enough of a start that someone else could pick up his trail, but I doubt it Sad

-Wes