Kodi Community Forum
Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Xbox 360 running XBMC (XBMC for Xbox360?) port possible someday? (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

- althekiller - 2010-01-15

I'm sure anyone who's read the last two pages can understand why we hate these threads and why I'm closing it.

XBMC on Xbox 360? - Chris360 - 2010-01-25

Hi all,

Hoping that you guys/girls go easy on me, I am very impressed by XBMC and am eager to get it in action, however as the title already states, I have a XBOX 360...

Are there any plans at all in making XBMC also available on XBOX 360? Or would the answer to that be a clear ´no´ and I should forget about it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

- blastactionhero - 2010-01-25

nope, there are no plans at all, is far is i know.
but i would bet a lot of money that this will never happen.

- spiff - 2010-01-25

not from us.

- KymyA - 2010-01-25

bought a xbox from ebay and the world will smile you !! Big Grin

- Bigkidoz - 2010-01-25

Chris360 Wrote:Hi all,

Hoping that you guys/girls go easy on me, I am very impressed by XBMC and am eager to get it in action, however as the title already states, I have a XBOX 360...

Are there any plans at all in making XBMC also available on XBOX 360? Or would the answer to that be a clear ´no´ and I should forget about it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

The word is from the devs here that it wont happen, but since it has already happened its clear that others are working on it. There is a youtube vid showing a 360 running Ubuntu Linux with XBMC running, from what i understand you need the Jtag mod ,an early kernel and a cygnos chip - google will explain.

Anyone think there will be an XBMC for the Xbox 360? - SquirlKiller - 2010-05-18

The homebrew/modding phase has been open for quite sometime

- waldo22 - 2010-05-18

The devs aren't interested in porting to platforms (like gaming consoles) where the manufacturers can break support any time that they want.

The devs have said, however, that they will accept patches that help it work...

So if you know any great programmers, see if you can get them interested.

-Wes

- mcborzu - 2010-05-18

XBOX was special for their day, one for the way the hardware was setup and two because they were cheap. Now with the way the new game systems are setup plus with affordable ion machines it just doesn't make sense...

- paul - 2010-05-18

I have to agree with mcborzu, i got myself the asrock Ion330 pro with 320gb hd 2gb ram all for £240 and it play's everything i throw at it granted i forked out another £70 for windows 7 and the machine is dead silent compared to xbox360.

Having said all that no doubt some geek will get xbmc installed on a 360 like that idiots done with his PS3 and that won't play videos which defeats the object does it not.

So go buy a ion based system that's my advice and leave the gameing platforms for games...Shocked

- waldo22 - 2010-05-18

I think people are excited about console ports because of how many people already own a PS3/360/Wii.

If you're going to buy something new, it seems like an Ion system or AppleTV/CrystalHD card makes the most sense.

However, having a working port for millions of consoles that are already out there could really increase the user base by giving people a way to run XBMC without having to buy anything at all.

Having said that, see here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=40236
...for a technical explanation of why this is a pain.

Summary:
1) no 3D hardware acceleration API currently available on PS3/360
2) no access to hardware video decode APIs
3) closed platforms that are a PITA to run homebrew software on. No easy way to install things for end users, and the console makers can break things at any time (like Sony just did with PS3 OtherOS)

Again, the devs aren't refusing to allow XBMC to run on these consoles, and they'll accept patches that help it run, but they aren't interested in doing it themselves.

-Wes

- natethomas - 2010-05-18

waldo22 Wrote:Again, the devs aren't refusing to allow XBMC to run on these consoles, and they'll accept patches that help it run, but they aren't interested in doing it themselves.

-Wes

Indeed, it's an open source project. Go and do with it as you please.

- poofyhairguy - 2010-05-18

The PS3 was the closest we came to a modern console running XBMC. Back when it had an "Other OS" mode you could use that special SPU using Mplayer+XBMC (I actually used Freevo) to playback HD video.

Now the "Other OS" is gone, and with it went the chance for XBMC on the PS3/XBOX360.

Truth is that XBMC has grown a lot since its initial days of living within the Xbox 1's limits. It really shines on an ION box...

XBMC on a new Xbox 360 Slim? - brunathaur - 2010-12-08

Hi, i would like to know if it is possible ?
Best regards

- ppic - 2010-12-08

no.