Kodi Community Forum
Ion for sabnzbd, downloading? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Ion for sabnzbd, downloading? (/showthread.php?tid=93393)

Atom for sabnzbd, downloading? - CrashnBrn - 2011-02-07

Hi Guys,

I currently have a dedicated machine (P4) that's running sabnzbd (couchpotato, sickbeard) as well as torrents. I also using it to stream some video to other machines on the network.

I want to replace this, as the P4 is power hungry and the machine runs 24/7, but was wondering how the Dual Core Atom compares to a Celeron or even a i3. when it comes to extracting, moving, copying etc.

I'm looking for somethings sub $350, and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited after PatrickVogeli made a clarification.

- PatrickVogeli - 2011-02-07

To clarify, as you seem to have the concepts wrong: ION is the chipset with integrated graphics from NVIDIA, it's not a processor. The ION chipset has to be matched with a CPU, the most popular being the Atom.

So.. if your aim is only running sab, coachpotato and the likes, but not using it as a HTPC, you can get a simple dual core Atom equiped machine / motherboard. The graphic part doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running sab + use the machine as a HTPC, then you'll want a Atom + ION chipset machine or motherboard.

I don't know if I have been clear enought, sorry.

- CrashnBrn - 2011-02-07

PatrickVogeli Wrote:To clarify, as you seem to have the concepts wrong: ION is the chipset with integrated graphics from NVIDIA, it's not a processor. The ION chipset has to be matched with a CPU, the most popular being the Atom.

So.. if your aim is only running sab, coachpotato and the likes, but not using it as a HTPC, you can get a simple dual core Atom equiped machine / motherboard. The graphic part doesn't really matter.

If you plan on running sab + use the machine as a HTPC, then you'll want a Atom + ION chipset machine or motherboard.

I don't know if I have been clear enought, sorry.

Doh, I knew that seems like I wasn't thinking straight, I should change the question from a Dual Core Atom vs a Celeron or even a i3.

Thanks for clearing that up Smile

- Beer40oz - 2011-02-07

So it's an ION/ATOM setup good enough to extract a file (say GrabIT) while watching a movie will it stutter?

- leigh_munro - 2011-02-07

I have a ATOM unRaid box running SABnzbd+, CouchPotato, and SickBeard...

The ATOM is more than enough powerful for this task...

- CrashnBrn - 2011-02-07

leigh_munro Wrote:I have a ATOM unRaid box running SABnzbd+, CouchPotato, and SickBeard...

The ATOM is more than enough powerful for this task...

As mentioned earlier are you able to unrar a file and stream a 1080p mkv without it skipping?

- leigh_munro - 2011-02-07

CrashnBrn Wrote:As mentioned earlier are you able to unrar a file and stream a 1080p mkv without it skipping?

No issues here.

Files are generally on seperate HDDs though so that probably helps a bit.

eg, downloading and unraring is done from my (unRaid) cache HDD, movies are played back from one of the storage HDDs.