Kodi Community Forum
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring (/showthread.php?tid=93514)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- akid1 - 2011-02-27

for me, i got a lot of buffering issues when using smb-shares.

thumbnail generating is off, i checked a lot of different things by now.

I just checked the ping-rates and found something very strange:

macbook <--802.11n--> router <--100mbit--> NAS = under 1 ms
macbook <--802.11n--> router <--802.11n--> atv2 = 4-5 ms

could that be the reason for my buffering problems? did anyone by chance could test his ping rates so that i could check?

- cyrusir - 2011-02-27

i solved my buffering issues

not sure how tho

restored the apple tv, jailbroke again and reinstalled xbmc and all seems wellCool

- akid1 - 2011-02-27

hmmm maybe i will try this as well... did you saved / restored your "userdata" folder?

- lakie1982 - 2011-02-27

davilla Wrote:"CABAC / 8 Ref Frames", that is "out of spec" for High@L 4.1 h264 video content.

You think this is causing the problem?

- pecinko - 2011-02-27

davilla Wrote:"CABAC / 8 Ref Frames", that is "out of spec" for High@L 4.1 h264 video content.

I have a problem with one that should be specification compliant. Wanted to post a link to a sample, but I don't know how to make one - Quicktime exports only 1 audiotrack in stereo. EDIT: And when I do export from Quicktime with passthrough for both audio and video (loosing AC3 sound), file plays fine without buffering in Xbmc.

This file plays fine in ATV2 FrontRow - though only AAC audio stream is available, as I don't have a AV receiver.

Media info:

Report for file: It Might Get Loud (HD).m4v

General / Container Stream #1
Total Video Streams for this File.................1
Total Audio Streams for this File.................2
Video Codecs Used.................................AVC
Audio Codecs Used.................................AAC LC / AC3
File Format.......................................MPEG-4
Play Time.........................................1h 37mn
Total File Size...................................1.73 GiB
Total Stream BitRate..............................2 534 Kbps
Title (Tag).......................................It Might Get Loud
Copyright (Tag)...................................
Encoded with......................................HolyRoses
Video Stream #1
Codec (Human Name)................................AVC
Codec (FourCC)....................................avc1
Codec [email protected]
Frame Width.......................................1 280 pixels
Frame Height......................................720 pixels
Frame Rate........................................23.976 fps
Total Frames......................................140926
Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9
Scan Type.........................................Progressive
Color Space.......................................YUV
Codec Settings (Summary)..........................CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.087
Codec Settings (CABAC)............................Yes
Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................5
Video Stream Length...............................1h 37mn 57s 788ms
Video Stream BitRate..............................1 920 Kbps
Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
Bit Depth.........................................8 bits
Video Stream Size.................................1.31 GiB (76%)
Video Encoder.....................................x264 - core 80 r1376 3feaec2
Video Encoder (Settings)..........................cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=16 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=2 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=1920 / ratetol=2.1 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.41 / aq=1:1.00
Video Stream Language.............................English
Audio Stream #1
Codec.............................................AAC
Codec (FourCC)....................................40
Audio Stream Length...............................1h 37mn 57s 781ms
Audio Stream BitRate..............................160 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR
Number of Audio Channels..........................2
Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L R
Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
Audio Stream Size.................................112 MiB (6%)
Audio Stream Language.............................English
Audio Stream #2
Codec.............................................AC-3
Codec (FourCC)....................................ac-3
Audio Stream Length...............................1h 37mn 57s 856ms
Audio Stream BitRate..............................448 Kbps
Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR
Number of Audio Channels..........................6
Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling Rate.....................................48.0 KHz
Bit Depth.........................................16 bits
Audio Stream Size.................................314 MiB (18%)
Audio Stream Language.............................English
Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2010-01-02 17:39:35

- Tenny - 2011-02-28

Ok... so a little bit more playing around...

Last night I tried playing a video over SMB (Media info), which has two separate audio tracks. One which is DTS (1,510Kbps, 6 Channel) and one that is Vorbis (80Kbps, 2 Channel), and the buffering was the same when playing either. The buffering error has been the same as it has always been:

13:32:04 T:185348096 M: 85200896 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available
13:32:07 T:179064832 M: 85200896 WARNING: Previous line repeats 1 times.
13:32:07 T:179064832 M: 85200896 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(video)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

I just also decided to try another test today and I played two files, both HD (720p)... One over UPnP to the ATV2, and another over SMB to another computer. Both played from the same source (but not the same file). They played both for an hour plus without any issues.

All these tests have been over 1GigNetwork, wired.

- PressureDrop - 2011-03-01

New XBMC user here (just jailbroke my ATV2 and installed XBMC and Plex yesterday). To investigate this buffering problem, I ran a series of tests. I suspect most of this has already been covered in this thread, but I'll present my results anyway.

All of the tests were done using a MKV file (6.9 GB) ripped from a 480p DVD (Gladiator). I have a Macbook Pro and a 2 TB Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is wired directly to the ATV2 via ethernet.

---------
TEST 1
Copied the MKV file to to the Time Capsule. In XBMC, added a new video source using SMB and pointed it to the shared Time Capsule. Turned off Time Machine on all computers so nothing else was accessing the Time Capsule.

Result: buffering every 30 - 60 seconds

---------
TEST 2
Connected an external USB hard drive to the Time Capsule and used it to host the MKV file.

Result: buffering every 30 - 60 seconds

---------
TEST 3
Turned SMB file sharing on on my Macbook Pro and copied the MKV file to my PUBLIC folder. The data was being WIRELESSLY transmitted to the ATV2 via the Time Capsule.

Result: no buffering (hurray!)

---------
TEST 4
Hooked an external Firewire hard drive to Macbook Pro and used it to host the MKV file.

Result: no buffering

---------
TEST 5
Created a symbolic link from the PUBLIC folder on my Macbook Pro to the Time Capsule (ie. I tried to share the files on the Time Capsule THROUGH the shared folder on my Macbook).

Result: the link didn't show up in XBMC so it appears either XBMC or SMB are unable to traverse symbolic links.

---------
Conclusion: either XBMC or SMB doesn't like shared disks on the Mac. It appears completely unrelated to wireless vs. wired connections. Nor is it specific to HD content.

For the moment, I'm going to have to transfer the movies I want to view to the hard drive of my Macbook Pro. Hopefully someone can work out a solution so we can use a hard drive connected to an Airport base station at some point.

PS. I tried the same tests with a different MKV file (a 3.8 GB rip of the DVD Ronin) and the results were similar (buffering every few minutes). I also downloaded the 1080p Big Buck Bunny mov (725 MB) and had essentially the same results (although the buffering when it resided on the Time Capsule was so bad that it was impossible to even watch it).

- cyrusir - 2011-03-01

akid1 Wrote:hmmm maybe i will try this as well... did you saved / restored your "userdata" folder?

deleted everything Nod

- ktjensen - 2011-03-01

Eric_S Wrote:After some experimentation with UPnP servers and 720P video streamed over wireless N at 5GHz:

smb - Much Stuttering

UPnP (Majestic Server on early 2007, 2.16 GHz iMac) - Much less stuttering

" (Serviio " " " " " " ) - No Stuttering at all.

The Serviio link is here:

http://www.serviio.org/download

isnt SERVIIO a UPnP system?

- mattconti - 2011-03-01

Hello, new forum user and ATV user here. Just wanted to share my brief experience so far with XBMC and MKV playback, and get any ideas. The ATV is on a wireless N network, the PC (an old laptop I've repurposed to host and stream to the ATV) is wired directly to the router. The MKV files are on an a portable USB harddrive connected to the laptop. Files are shared via SMB. So far, I rarely experience any stuttering at all with 720p files, and if I do it is either immediately when the video starts playing, OR sometimes when I activate the OSD to disable subtitles or something (which is odd). 1080p files buffer too often to be watchable.

When the laptop was on a wireless connection streaming to the ATV, there was more buffering pauses, enough to be annoying.

I tried briefly to use PS3MS, however when I would view the share on the ATV, MKV files would not show up in the directory listing to even play. I have not played too much in that area yet, but does anyone have ideas why that would be?

I would like to get PS3MS to work so I can watch 1080p files (basically just so I can, my TV is only 720p, but occasionally I will have 1080p files to watch).

I am coming from a Popcorn Hour A100 which played both flawlessly over SMB, but on a wired connection. I moved recently and i don't want to run ethernet throughout my new house.

- ktjensen - 2011-03-01

do not beat me up for this suggestion. But if you just want functionality in an archive of your movies, and are just interested in content (not pristeen quality):

1) use HANDBRAKE to convert your movies to the lowest resolution IPOD-IPHONE-ITOUCH compatable version. With my eyes, I really can not tell much of a difference, compared to the old TV systems that most users are coming from. Seems to play streaming in any network, with no issues, no buffering.

2) Use a BLUERAY version playing on a BLUERAY player to get the best resolution. On your large screen system.

3) Given the above baseline, am still trying to find improved functionality for XBMC with higher resolution and terrific audio, and better encoding standards with various tools, and better network connectivity testing.

- Eric_S - 2011-03-01

ktjensen Wrote:isnt SERVIIO a UPnP system?

Yes - Serviio is UPnP. That was the point of my post.

NOTE: If you keep transcoding set to 'On' in Serviio, assure that you uncheck the preference that limits processor usage 2 only one core (i.e., be sure to allow all cores to process - at least with my 2.16 Ghz core 2 duo imac).

- PressureDrop - 2011-03-01

ktjensen Wrote:do not beat me up for this suggestion. But if you just want functionality in an archive of your movies, and are just interested in content (not pristeen quality):

1) use HANDBRAKE to convert your movies to the lowest resolution IPOD-IPHONE-ITOUCH compatable version. With my eyes, I really can not tell much of a difference, compared to the old TV systems that most users are coming from. Seems to play streaming in any network, with no issues, no buffering.

2) Use a BLUERAY version playing on a BLUERAY player to get the best resolution. On your large screen system.

My use of Handbrake is what led me to XBMC in the first place -- I wasn't happy with the quality of its conversions. I don't want to take an 8 GB movie and shrink it down to 1.3 GB. I could definitely see the difference on the screen. Plus, I didn't love how long it took to do the transcoding.

And sticking a DVD/Blu-ray in a player is so 2008 Wink Seriously, my kids would rather try to find a film on Netflix instant viewing than go searching for the disc. That's where XBMC is a nice solution: if you choose, you can have full quality copies of your movies all easily accessible via your Apple TV.

My two cents Smile

- pecinko - 2011-03-01

ktjensen Wrote:do not beat me up for this suggestion. But if you just want functionality in an archive of your movies, and are just interested in content (not pristeen quality):

No need for that. Use default ATV2 preset for both great quality and seamless (no buffering) play in XBMC on ATV.

- akid1 - 2011-03-02

i just had buffering on another file, but now i saved the log-file...

is it because it is an avi file (MPEG-4 Part 2)?

Here ist the link to the xbmc.log:
http://pastebin.com/Fc8b5KSv

Thanks for checking!