Kodi Community Forum
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring (/showthread.php?tid=93514)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- lakie1982 - 2011-03-02

I found out that the same movie, which was buffering with XBMC is playing good with PLEX.
To bad cause i like XBMC more. But more important is that you can watch a movie without interruptions.

- PressureDrop - 2011-03-02

lakie1982 Wrote:I found out that the same movie, which was buffering with XBMC is playing good with PLEX.
To bad cause i like XBMC more. But more important is that you can watch a movie without interruptions.

What format is the movie in? I originally installed PLEX, but found that playing back a mkv file resulted in a "jerky" picture. Not too dramatic, but definitely noticeable -- especially in panning shots. Plus, it maxed out my Macbook Pro doing the transcoding on the fly (fan going full blast). That's where XBMC has a leg up: it doesn't need to transcode mkv files.

- panos74gr - 2011-03-05

I sometimes have contant buffering on the files that used to work.

Restarting (smb) file sharing on my mac book pro (snow leopard) seems to solve the problem.

(My ATV2 is connected to my macbook pro through a wireless router on wireless N)

- swissfraser - 2011-03-06

panos74gr Wrote:I sometimes have contant buffering on the files that used to work.

Restarting (smb) file sharing on my mac book pro (snow leopard) seems to solve the problem.

(My ATV2 is connected to my macbook pro through a wireless router on wireless N)

I had buffering issues which was a complete deal-breaker and nearly the end of my xbmc adventures, but these completely disappeared after I installed the nightly build from feb 27th. I've had no issues since the update and also enjoy the audio-downmixing fix. Worth a go, no?

- Capecodmacguy - 2011-03-06

swissfraser Wrote:I had buffering issues which was a complete deal-breaker and nearly the end of my xbmc adventures, but these completely disappeared after I installed the nightly build from feb 27th. I've had no issues since the update and also enjoy the audio-downmixing fix. Worth a go, no?

and where is this nightly build ??

- Defbref - 2011-03-06

Very first sticky at top of the forum explains where and how to get the nightly builds.

- RaginBajin - 2011-03-06

I actually think this is a file share locking issue with SMB on both sides. UPNP works because only one server/program (Windows) is holding on to the lock of the file.

When you start doing SMB, now Windows is now watching the file, and the ATV is now also constantly watching the status of the file. This is causing contention. It is usually not a big deal because normally file transfers are only happening and that little bit of transfer delay is not noticeable.

Now the people with NAS running with SMB are fine because SMB (samba) is being configured correctly to remove these locks. They probably have a setting called oplock turned off. This allows for faster transfers because SMB and the OS and the Client all don't all have to contend for a particular file lock.

I can't figure out how to mount anything with SMB just yet, but I bet that if we turn Client Side SMB cache off (not XBMC's video cache) that we will probably see an improvement. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the oplock or something similar on the Windows side. I'm curious to know if the same issue happens on a Windows 2008 Server vs a windows xp or windows 7 box.

- elcaballo - 2011-03-08

Just for fun, I restored and re-jailbroke with greenpois0n RC6.1. Installed latest (3/05) nightly. Buffering is worse, if anything. Now I'm noticing that even 2 gig h264 mkvs (~45 min 720p TV shows) are unwatchable in SMB library mode. Files play for a couple minutes and then buffer every minute after that.

Load them up in PS3MediaServer and they play perfectly. This is a pain, though, as PS3MS doesn't seem to scan folders for new files unless the program is restarted, which means remote desktop-ing in to quit the program.

Maybe the ATV2 just lacks the memory to handle HD file streaming across a home network?

- pmcd - 2011-03-08

elcaballo Wrote:Just for fun, I restored and re-jailbroke with greenpois0n RC6.1. Installed latest (3/05) nightly. Buffering is worse, if anything. Now I'm noticing that even 2 gig h264 mkvs (~45 min 720p TV shows) are unwatchable in SMB library mode. Files play for a couple minutes and then buffer every minute after that.

Maybe the ATV2 just lacks the memory to handle HD file streaming across a home network?

It would be strange if it were the ATV2. I have never had any buffering issues for 720p TV on either a wireless or a wired connected ATV2. Something is up with your network and these things are very hard to figure out. You have to narrow down the possibilities.

philip

- akid1 - 2011-03-08

i finally found out that re-jailbreaking my atv2 solved my buffering problems.

i had been problems since using the Greenpois0n jb, but after doing everything again while doing the jailbreak with seas0npass untethered, everything works without buffering now.

I saved my complete XBMC folder before reseting, so i only jailbreaked again and installed XBMC (official) via SSH. Then i simply transfered my XBMC folder back to his place, so that i don´t needed to setup anything at all.

Now, everything (up to 1080p) works very nicely - just a litte buffering on 1080p material.

If there is anyone with the same problem of a lot of buffering, try seas0npass with a manual install of XBMC!

- BritBloke - 2011-03-08

akid1 Wrote:i finally found out that re-jailbreaking my atv2 solved my buffering problems.

i had been problems since using the Greenpois0n jb, but after doing everything again while doing the jailbreak with seas0npass untethered, everything works without buffering now.

I saved my complete XBMC folder before reseting, so i only jailbreaked again and installed XBMC (official) via SSH. Then i simply transfered my XBMC folder back to his place, so that i don´t needed to setup anything at all.

Now, everything (up to 1080p) works very nicely - just a litte buffering on 1080p material.

If there is anyone with the same problem of a lot of buffering, try seas0npass with a manual install of XBMC!
That's good to know akid. Perhaps it is a problem with greenpois0n.

- T800 - 2011-03-08

BritBloke Wrote:That's good to know akid. Perhaps it is a problem with greenpois0n.

Both my AppleTV's had a teathered jailbreak with Seas0npass and un-teathered with Greenpois0n.

I haven't had buffering problems on either ATV's or jailbreaks.

Wouldn't it be good for two people who live close with and without the problem to try the others AppleTV?Big Grin

- myXBMC - 2011-03-08

Please provide some insights with the following file types and setup.

Do I need to change some settings in XBMC system/settings?

.MOV (680 MB – length is 4 minutes)  it buffers approx. every 15 seconds
.MP4 (115 MB – length is 2 minutes)  it buffers approx. every 15 seconds
.rmvb (215MB – length is 43 minutes)  it buffers first few minutes, then it plays fine

XBMC PRE-10.0 Git: 4b032be (compiled: Feb 19 2011)
AppleTV2 Greenpois0n RC6
Dell Windows Vista (Basic) – with all of the above files
Wireless connections
SMB sharing – no scraping

- akid1 - 2011-03-08

Strange thing is that some jb works nice for one, but gives buffering issues to others (from what i read here).

I think for the moment it is best to try both jb-methods as well as both installation methods (ssh and via NitoTV).

For me, Seas0npass + SSH install worked out well.

- uomiarz - 2011-03-08

akid1 Wrote:Strange thing is that some jb works nice for one, but gives buffering issues to others (from what i read here).

I think for the moment it is best to try both jb-methods as well as both installation methods (ssh and via NitoTV).

For me, Seas0npass + SSH install worked out well.

According to information here:
http://blog.firecore.com/4144

there is no difference in seas0npass and greenpois0n.
I believe this is the website for actual seas0npass developers.
So it is kind of strange that it worked for you but definitely worth trying.

What seems to fix my buffering issues with ATV2 was setting up samba server correctly. It was mention by RaginBajin few post above where he talks about setting opportunistic locks. I added two lines to my samba config file
Code:
kernel oplocks = No
oplocks = No
and did not see usual buffering since.
I definitely need to do more testing.