Kodi Community Forum
ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring (/showthread.php?tid=93514)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- apw2607 - 2012-02-11

Memphiz Wrote:yeah ... some dvds are interlaced and if you have set your atv2 to auto deinterlace it would buffer/stutter on that dvds then because the deinterlacer is to much for the atv2 cpu... (you could test by turning deinterlacing off for beeing sure)

Yes, I've found exactly that. I've got loads of VOB files .. essentially SD PAL and NTSC MPEG2 interlaced music videos. Some even have DD 5.1 sound tracks.

On my ATV 2 (4.4.4) with Eden B2 and B3, if interlacing is switched on or auto, it tips the ATV2 over the edge and endless buffering issues. A shame, cos that little box with XBMC rocks !

- Memphiz - 2012-02-11

apw2607 Wrote:Yes, I've found exactly that. I've got loads of VOB files .. essentially SD PAL and NTSC MPEG2 interlaced music videos. Some even have DD 5.1 sound tracks.

On my ATV 2 (4.4.4) with Eden B2 and B3, if interlacing is switched on or auto, it tips the ATV2 over the edge and endless buffering issues. A shame, cos that little box with XBMC rocks !

should be improved when using beta3 on ios 4.4.4 ... you sure its not better?

- Manuel_W - 2012-02-12

Memphiz Wrote:yep ... maybe interlacing is the problem then ...

Where can i find this option in the menu?

- Memphiz - 2012-02-12

its in the video osd during video playback (hold center button and click the movie roll icon)

- kitus_san - 2012-03-04

kitus_san Wrote:Hello guys,

will the new Eden version handle this sort of files without constantly buffering? what do you think?

@davilla, have you by any chance tried the sample I provided with this new Eden?

Thanks a million for your hard work. XBMC is absolutely awesome!!! Smile

Hello,

is it possible to upgrade from Nightly Build to Eden without losing user settings? I have many plug-ins that I want to keep, network shares, etc. Could you possible point me to the right source?

Anyone got experience on Eden playing large m2ts Full Bluray files like the one I reported I was experiencing troubles with?

thanks a million in advance,

- DejaVu - 2012-03-04

Nightly builds are Eden.
Just update as the Wiki says and everything should be cool.

Only thing really noticable is the move with MySQL database.
kitus_san Wrote:Anyone got experience on Eden playing large m2ts Full Bluray files like the one I reported I was experiencing troubles with?
On an ATV2? Streaming via Ethernet to a device that supports 720p and is already being pushed towards it's limits? Forget it.

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - oomka - 2012-04-11

I think I'm also having problems with interlaced content.
My setup consists of (ATV2 5.1 with nightly build XBMC over wired connection) connecting to windows share for TS and mkv.

Experiencing buffering issues every few seconds with TS files.
H.264 content works and streams without a problem (including 1080p based material).

TS files are recordings of TV in MediaCenter.
The files are TS some contain interlaced content (1080i), some are (720p).

Tried disabling interlacing in video osd, just to notice interlaced lines with same amount of buffering.
Updated advancedsettings.xml, set audio to 16bit, and tried ftp for an alternative way of delivering content to atv2.

Any other suggestions or ATV2 just cannot handle 1080i based material? Any alternative ways to play my content without re-encoding? Any other tips on how I can make this work?

Thanks in advance.

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Ned Scott - 2012-04-12

I believe it cannot handle the interlaced content. That is to say, it can't be hardware decoded, and it's too much for a CPU/software decode.

Interesting note: In theory the hardware could (according to the GPU's specs, I believe), but it's not something that XBMC can access via iOS. Or at the very least, how to do it is something only Apple knows about and is very hard to figure out, if possible at all (it might not be).

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - IT-King - 2012-04-22

Since the 4.3 ios AppleTV executable is lighter, would it not be easier to reload that ? (or if possible create a loader)

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Memphiz - 2012-04-23

Don't get that question...

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - DLeavy - 2012-04-23

I'm guessing, but I think they are asking if we would just take the iOS files from a 4.3 device and move them onto another ATV2 (running 4.3+) and essentially run iOS 4.3 on that device.

I doubt this would work. It'd be a curious experiment.

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - davilla - 2012-04-23

it would be an epic failure Smile

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - DLeavy - 2012-04-23

(2012-04-23, 16:10)davilla Wrote: it would be an epic failure Smile

I know, but it'd be fun Wink

RE: ATV2 and XBMC bufferring - Memphiz - 2012-04-23

Go for it Big Grin ... NOOTT!!!

RE: - infamouskiller - 2012-05-21

(2011-02-15, 22:43)roygbiv Wrote:
chad473 Wrote:My issue is that I can stream higher bitrate, larger files through frontrow and iTunes just fine. That seems to contradict the wireless bandwidth theory.

Exactly, if I use UPnP I can stream 1080p .mkvs on the ATV2 with no buffering.

Also, if I use XBMC on my laptop, I can stream the same 1080p .mkvs via SMB with no buffering.

Something is up with the SMB protocol on XBMC ATV2.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata/advancedsettings.xml

You have to make your own buffering settings or xmbc uses its default.

How can you tell if you have a low buffering or default setting?

If you can only reverse/fast forward 9 min or abouts. and you will freeze crash or get a buffering cache message.

To fix this you remove the cache to 0 which tells the ATV2 to load the entire CACHE.

This does increase memory usage. Long as your XBMC isn't full you should be fine.

Changing your region sources opens up more dns/bandwidth as well. a setting of 3 is best.

Tested on ATV2 Most sources like some of the other laggy sources now play no problem.

please let me know if you are experiencing the same benefits.

/private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/

Create advancedsettings.xml if needed

putty command

apt-get install nano
nano /private/var/moblie/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/advancedsettings.xml

Quote:<advancedsettings>

<network>
<cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>
</network>

<samba>
<doscodepage></doscodepage>
<clienttimeout>10</clienttimeout>