Kodi Community Forum
[AppleTV2] Disable Auto Updates - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Thread: [AppleTV2] Disable Auto Updates (/showthread.php?tid=93604)

[AppleTV2] Disable Auto Updates - bnazza - 2011-02-08

Total newbie here.

Bought the ATV2 (4.2.1) yesterday

Backed up the SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella
Jailbroke using seas0npass
Installed XBMC

Everything works. Hurrah and Huzzah Nod

Now. How do I prevent the ATV2 from auto updating next week when Apple releases 4.3?

I realise thats an Apple question as opposed to an XBMC question but I thought maybe there is a setting in XBMC somewhere that would allow me to do it, or perhaps an add on to install?

Thanks for any help....

- amet - 2011-02-08

bnazza Wrote:Total newbie here.

Bought the ATV2 (4.2.1) yesterday

Backed up the SHSH blobs with Tiny Umbrella
Jailbroke using seas0npass
Installed XBMC

Everything works. Hurrah and Huzzah Nod

Now. How do I prevent the ATV2 from auto updating next week when Apple releases 4.3?

I realise thats an Apple question as opposed to an XBMC question but I thought maybe there is a setting in XBMC somewhere that would allow me to do it, or perhaps an add on to install?

Thanks for any help....

Code:
apt-get install nano
nano /etc/hosts

add below code to the end of the file and reboot
Code:
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com
127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com
127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net
127.0.0.1 itunes.apple.com.edgesuite.net

- bnazza - 2011-02-08

Thanks Amet..

just to make sure I understand correctly..

to run the update I can use Terminal to get to the root of the ATV and run that command.

how then do I add the lines to the hosts file?

and when you say reboot, I'm assuming the tethered reboot with seas0npass?

Thanks again.

- amet - 2011-02-08

bnazza Wrote:Thanks Amet..

just to make sure I understand correctly..

to run the update I can use Terminal to get to the root of the ATV and run that command.

how then do I add the lines to the hosts file?

and when you say reboot, I'm assuming the tethered reboot with seas0npass?

Thanks again.

just run terminal, ssh into the atv2.

run "apt-get install nano" to install nano, text editor

then run "nano /etc/hosts" to open hosts file

c/p the 4 lines to the end of hosts file

hit ctrl + x and answer "y" to save the file

reboot, tethered as there is no other way Smile

- bnazza - 2011-02-08

Perfect, thanks Amet, you the man

- bnazza - 2011-02-09

Ran into an issue with this Amet, it seems that it prevents the ATV from accessing the web at all, so the menus don't load for ATV Movies etc. and it can't connect to youtube or netflix etc.

Do all 4 urls have to be repointed?

- amet - 2011-02-09

bnazza Wrote:Ran into an issue with this Amet, it seems that it prevents the ATV from accessing the web at all, so the menus don't load for ATV Movies etc. and it can't connect to youtube or netflix etc.

Do all 4 urls have to be repointed?

you can remove

Code:
127.0.0.1 itunes.apple.com.edgesuite.net

- bnazza - 2011-02-10

Thanks Amet, left the other three lines in and the interface is working properly now.

Fingers crossed they can't force 4.3 on me now.

Cheers fella.

- amet - 2011-02-10

Cheers mate, they can't do much harm, you have shsh saved Smile

- reggiesfriend - 2011-03-16

hi i found this thread through another thread:

afmonaco Wrote:Let me just start off by saying that I am not a programmer so a lot of this terminology is confusing to me. So thanks for your patience!

I have an ATV2 with XBMC and it has worked well with the hulu addon for the past few days. Now I have installed IceFilms and then I went to open the add on and it asked me to update the product images 230mb and i did that. However the screen started flashing on and off about 2/3 the way through and then went back to ATV home screen. Now my XBMC only works for about 10 mins before it crashes back to ATV home screen.

I tried using nitotv to uninstall xbmc and reinstall but it didnt seem to make a difference and all my addons/settings were the same as before.

Is there any way to fix this or to completely unistall xbmc and start from scratch?

and this was the only reply:

Eric_S Wrote:See Amet's post in below link for a solution. You can also go NitoTV/Settings, and choose the option to update NitoTV. Then go NitoTV/Install software, and choose the option (you'll see it up top) that stops the Apple TV from prompting you to update (this is the cause of the crashes).

Please post any further questions or requests to the iOS forums, as this issue really has nothing to do with plugins. Good luck.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93604

so this is how i got here (sorry in advance if i'm in the wrong place

but i'm in the same place as this guy: installed icefilms now my netflix bucks me back to the main atv screen after 10mins of play time

i tried this fix, but it's still kicking me back: is this the correct fix for this?

- jd2157 - 2011-03-23

reggiesfriend Wrote:hi i found this thread through another thread:

and this was the only reply:

so this is how i got here (sorry in advance if i'm in the wrong place

but i'm in the same place as this guy: installed icefilms now my netflix bucks me back to the main atv screen after 10mins of play time

i tried this fix, but it's still kicking me back: is this the correct fix for this?

It probably is being caused by the autoupdate. That being said, you don't need to manually edit the /etc/hosts file. Once you have nitoTV installed just install the updatebegone package from the list of available software and it'll do it for you (no need to go to the command line to fix this, unless you want to). I've done a couple atv2 installs this past week and didn't touch the /etc/hosts file manually and didn't have any issues.

If you do go to the command line, to be safe you should make sure everything is current with "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade".

- soppdk - 2011-10-16

i have updated my host fil and it no more ask to auto update Atv2, so thx alot for the nice guide Smile