Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? - Printable Version
+- XBMC Community Forum (http://forum.xbmc.org)
+-- Forum: Off-Topic (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: Hardware for XBMC (/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start? (/showthread.php?tid=94199)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101
- whjsdk - 2011-07-23 20:36
These are my requirements:
1) I want to be able to watch 1080p (2D) encodes.
2) I want to be able to watch TV
3) I want to be able to record TV
I have read eskro's excellent guide, and I think that this box is close to what i need:
I was not able to find all the exact parts, but I found the following hardware (from a danish store). The product descriptions are in english, so I think it's still possible to comment on them:
Are there any parts I should replace before ordering?
Thanks alot! :-)
Note: This post is moved to a new thread like eskro suggested.
- eskro - 2011-07-23 22:43
Like i asked many users by now,
could you please create a new thread completely about your build?
you'll have better support from users if u do,,
- Lexicon44 - 2011-07-24 03:12
eskro Wrote:something like this http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=93846
You proposed the above to be able to handle:
Sabnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato - DL and unpack files, then move to a directory on a USB connected Drive
Looking for the quietest, most power efficient and cool-running solution, will Zacate solution (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=727463#post727463) have trouble running these tasks?
Specifically, there may be an instance where a 1080p movie is being played while a Sabnzbd download is running and may subsequently be extracted.
- eskro - 2011-07-24 18:56
Honestly, i think i recall PoofHairGuy saying he's running those apps on his HTPC,,,
or at least, one of them,,,,
Maybe he could jump in here and tell us which CPU power he suggest for those tasks...
But, to my experience, the more u wanna do with your PC,
its always better to get 'more' powerful CPU...
So for multi-tasking, AMD Quad-Cores are great
and on the INTEL's side, i think you should be fine with a G620 CPU,,,,
- st graveyard - 2011-07-25 13:52
Are the AMD's APU's as powerfull as the Sandy Bridge Intel's? And you have any idea if XBMC has the same (DXVA) issues with the APU's onboard GPU's?
I'm currently looking into the Sandy Bridge processors. The raw processor speed really has me thinking, especially since I will be doing a lot of emulation in my HTPC. However, if I instal a seperate video card like an NVIDIA G-FORCE, i will not have the typical intel trouble in XBMC, I hope? Is that correct?
- yunti - 2011-07-27 17:55
eskro Wrote:Q. Out of those builds, which one can Bitstream DOLBY TRUE-HD & DTS-HD MASTER audio?
I'm a bit confused by the comment that XBMC can't natively bitstream HD audio. Does this mean this is only possible via an external player? Or in windows is this possible using the DSplayer in XBMC?
Also will the new audio engine make this native to XBMC?
3D using E-350 platform - The-Priest - 2011-07-28 19:33
In your Q&A section you say:
Quote:Q. Out of those builds, which one can play 3D 1080P movies?
Is this with the use of XBMC or do you mean in general?
Since in this review they do play a 3D blu-ray.
Albeit that's not with XBMC hence my question
- Superorb - 2011-08-01 17:57
I've gotten almost no help from the thread I created, so I figured I might get some more help here.
My 12 year old Pentium 3 HTPC has finally kicked the bucket, so I'm looking for recommendations on a new build. I'm fine with AMD or Intel, I've built systems using both. I have an 8400GS PCI card from the old box that I could use as long as I keep it mini-ITX. I'd like it to satisfy the following:
I do have a Microcenter 30 minutes away if it helps. I wish I got in on the Antec ISK-300 for $35 a few weeks ago, I would've just used that.
- bluray - 2011-08-01 20:43
Superorb Wrote:I've gotten almost no help from the thread I created, so I figured I might get some more help here.
I'm not sure what you are willing to pay, but this package might work for you:
1. ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
2. AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
3. G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB
4. SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB DDR3
5. Corsair Force CSSD-F40GB2-A
6. TOSHIBA 1TB USB 3.0
7. APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
8. SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm Case Fan
You can use this to calculate power consumption- eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5
- seand - 2011-08-01 22:04
Lexicon44 Wrote:Eskro,Sab does not take a lot of processor power. I ran it for while on Acer Revo in the background. Two things I would say to eliminate performance interference with XBMC.
1. Set SAB to pause downloading while unpacking (which is in config settings). Greatly reduces processor impact. As soon as its done unpacking most recent download it picks back up on the remaining ones. Really does not slow you down much.
2. Cap the download rate if you ever use XBMC with streaming plug-ins to give yourself just enough bandwidth so downloads don't interfere with video streams. Kind of obvious I know but the one time I noticed downloads was trying to watch icefilms while downloading on my Ion 330 Revo. Capping download rate in SAB settings made all the difference.