Kodi Community Forum
How to compile a PVR branch for iOS. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: How to compile a PVR branch for iOS. (/showthread.php?tid=94905)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

- dedu - 2011-12-29

Jester Wrote:@devs

do we have like a VM image of a build env. around ?
I used to code and compile win32 stuff in a previous xbmc life Wink but I don't own a mac...

let me know

thanks

+1

I actually want to contribute code, but cannot since it's impossible to test.

- Jester - 2011-12-29

Jester Wrote:@devs

do we have like a VM image of a build env. around ?
I used to code and compile win32 stuff in a previous xbmc life Wink but I don't own a mac...

let me know

thanks

Right, Ive answered my own question in the mean time (yes it's possible using VM) question is, can we compile xbmc in Xcode 4 already ? or are we stuck on Xcode 3.x ? (per the README.ios file)

- davilla - 2011-12-29

Right now, Xcode 3.x is the only supported method and will remain that way until after Eden release. Once Eden is out, then we bump to 10.6SDK and move on.

There is an Xcode 3.x for Lion but having both Xcode 3.x and 4.x present is troublesome and not recommended. There is also a way to bring back 10.4SDK into Xcode4, google for it. Again, not supported.

As for a complete VM for building, there's no way XBMC as a Foundation can support the distribution of something like that. While Xcode itself is 'free', OSX is not and distribution of such would be piracy.

- Jester - 2011-12-29

davilla Wrote:Right now, Xcode 3.x is the only supported method and will remain that way until after Eden release. Once Eden is out, then we bump to 10.6SDK and move on.

There is an Xcode 3.x for Lion but having both Xcode 3.x and 4.x present is troublesome and not recommended. There is also a way to bring back 10.4SDK into Xcode4, google for it. Again, not supported.

As for a complete VM for building, there's no way XBMC as a Foundation can support the distribution of something like that. While Xcode itself is 'free', OSX is not and distribution of such would be piracy.

Obviously I don't want OSX etc. the piracy way, upgrade is like what 30 bucks, ill order it

Thanks for the insight, ill stick with snow leopard and xcode 3.2.6 and ios sdk 4.3 for now while i'm in iOS kindergarten Smile

- Jester - 2011-12-30

Right,

one step closer, old vmware 6 workstation, sponsored from work didn't do the trick.
(reminds me to get a new license next year....any excuse Wink

- got vmware workstation 8 (free trail available btw)
- bought mac os x snow leopard license (30 bucks)
- made vmware image
- became a Apple developer (oh boy, the horror....)
- downloaded and installed xcode 3.2.6 and iOS SDK 4.3 (free at apple dev. site)
- download and installed git (http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/downloads/list)
- followed the iOS readme
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/README.ios

now waiting on github to pull in the source and then onto my first compile to say "Done" Smile

- Jester - 2011-12-31

First Build done Smile

(Settle down, no take 12 or whatever, I used the normal xbmc tree first)

question, is there a script or something that creates the .deb package ? or is this a manual process....

thx

- davilla - 2011-12-31

See tools/darwin/packaging/xbmc-ios/mkdeb-xbmc-ios.sh or tools/darwin/packaging/xbmc-atv2mkdeb-xbmc-atv2.sh . Both should mentioned in README.ios but I see they are not.

- Jester - 2011-12-31

davilla Wrote:See tools/darwin/packaging/xbmc-ios/mkdeb-xbmc-ios.sh or tools/darwin/packaging/xbmc-atv2mkdeb-xbmc-atv2.sh . Both should mentioned in README.ios but I see they are not.

that readme needs some updating anyway, more is missing (most of that you can get around with some unix knowledge etc.)

however, thanks davilla, in the mean time I found that one by messing around Smile

ps.
would be nice to call the buildbot scripts to give the package the same naming conv. as used on the mirror.xmbc.org site (github rev+ date)

but now that I have my compile github env. going, I will get off my lazy butt and do a pull request for those Wink

- davilla - 2011-12-31

buildbot scripts pull a generic name, then adds the specific details when it mv it to the final location. makes the scripts easier. you can see what it does by clicking on the individual build steps.

- rivo - 2012-01-03

Are there plans to launch the new "take x" based in current Eden beta 1?
Could it to include the new 4TheRecord addon developed by Red_F?
After several months it seems that there is an pvr client that works fine with a Windows backend.

Thank you very much to Memphiz, Davilla and other developers.

- rivo - 2012-01-04

nobody?

- Skindred - 2012-01-04

rivo Wrote:nobody?

rivo; we have been waiting for this feature for years now.

This is how development of such big open source projects go.
Clear milestones and a slow overall pace of new features.

Surely, a few more days wait won't hurt, now will they?

Bumping within 24 hours is a big no-no Wink

But, I aswell am anxiously waiting for this feature, to be able to stream from my FTR backend to my iDevices.
And wish to thank all devs associated with XBMP/XBMC and all that has sprouted from it.
Also magro and Red_F deserve big thanks, for catering to the needs of Windows PVR users.
Not to forget the entire FTR crew!

- Red_F - 2012-01-07

I tried to help out our impatient Rivo Big Grin

I can compile my repo for ATV2 just fine. The XCode project compiles OK too (3 or 4 minor warnings, no big deal).

Packaging produces just two warnings about user specific control fields, no problems there.

After scp-ing the resulting .deb to the ATV2, I install the package as root using:

dpkg -i <mynicenewxbmc>.deb

usual messages about reading database, preparing to replace, etc. etc.

At the end of the installation "/Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV" is re-started, and when the screen re-appears the "XBMC" menu-item is missing.

Re-installing "Take 11" using dpkg -i restores the menu-item. Installing the 11.0.0~b1 version using apt-get restores the menu-item.

So I must be doing something wrong in producing my package. Can anyone give me a pointer?

The symlink to "/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/" is present in "/Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances". Info.plist is present in "/Applications/XBMC.frappliance/" when I install my package. File permissions, owners, groups etc. are identical.

I'm using XCode 3.2.6 with iOS SDK 4.3.

- davilla - 2012-01-07

if "XBMC" menu-item is missing, then frontrow could not load the frapp, see syslog as to why.

- Red_F - 2012-01-07

davilla Wrote:if "XBMC" menu-item is missing, then frontrow could not load the frapp, see syslog as to why.

Thanks Davilla! That's just the type of advice from a truly seasoned apple dev I was looking for. On to the the syslog we go Wink