Kodi Community Forum
Start XBMC on ATV2 at boot. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: iOS & tvOS (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+---- Thread: Start XBMC on ATV2 at boot. (/showthread.php?tid=95191)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- activate - 2011-10-18

Earlier today I saw an app in the nito tv repo that describes what you guys want. I think it's called xbmcboot.

- TheStretchedElf - 2011-10-18

deanmv Wrote:You can't. The sleep function isn't implemented into XBMC and can only be started from the iOS and as you can never get into iOS you can't put it to sleep.

Then what exactly is "start XBMC on ATV2 at boot"? Once this is enabled it isn't possible to exit XBMC (without going straight back into it, therefore negating the exit). Huh

- Ned Scott - 2011-10-18

Booting is when the ATV2 powers on. Some people like to completely power off their devices to save every ounce of power, or they like to take the ATV2 with them to other people's houses, or something else like that. It's pretty much just if you physically power the ATV2 off/on a lot and want to save a few clicks on the remote. I don't use it, but I guess some people thought it was handy.

- TheStretchedElf - 2011-10-18

So do the people who have this enabled leave XBMC running 24/7?

- davilla - 2011-10-18

TheStretchedElf Wrote:Then what exactly is "start XBMC on ATV2 at boot"? Once this is enabled it isn't possible to exit XBMC (without going straight back into it, therefore negating the exit). Huh

users asked for the ability to "boot into xbmc", this does that... but it's a one way street, once into xbmc, there is no return to appletv.app.

- deanmv - 2011-10-18

TheStretchedElf Wrote:So do the people who have this enabled leave XBMC running 24/7?

Either yes they do or they pull the plug out to power off the ATV and then when it boots back up it will go straight into XBMC.

- g-off - 2011-10-19

I can honestly say that I have only ever used lowtide to set networking/timezone settings and for nitotv. It is not worth turning off the apple tv - it only uses 6 Watts.

- gulo101 - 2011-12-08

I made my XMBC on ATV2 start automatically today and I am also don't like the fact that there is no way to put it to sleep now.

I understand that it uses very little electricity but it stays fairly warm. Is that normal ? When I used to put it to sleep via apple menu it would not stay warm

- DLeavy - 2011-12-08

Might want to look into enabling dirty regions - from what I understand, the XBMC GUI is constantly "redrawing" the screen, which would mean the CPU is doing work. Dirty Regions should help lower your CPU usage.

- davilla - 2011-12-09

gulo101 Wrote:I made my XBMC on ATV2 start automatically today and I am also don't like the fact that there is no way to put it to sleep now.

I understand that it uses very little electricity but it stays fairly warm. Is that normal ? When I used to put it to sleep via apple menu it would not stay warm

Then you have one and only one choice, revert the boot into xbmc.

- ChimChim - 2012-02-25

OK... I SSH'ed into my ATV2 and used:

apt-get remove org.tomcool.xbmc-booter

The booter is now definitely not installed, but my ATV2 continues to boot into XMBC. I've tried rebooting from my remote and by unplugging the thing. Same if I click the power icon in XMBC. I'm running Eden beta 3.

How can I restore my original boot menu? I can't find anything in the forums about this problem.

Thanks!

- deanmv - 2012-02-25

ChimChim Wrote:OK... I SSH'ed into my ATV2 and used:

The booter is now definitely not installed, but my ATV2 continues to boot into XBMC. I've tried rebooting from my remote and by unplugging the thing. Same if I click the power icon in XBMC. I'm running Eden beta 3.

How can I restore my original boot menu? I can't find anything in the forums about this problem.

Thanks!

You sure you used exactly

I've used it a few times and it's been fine for me. What was the output of terminal?

- ChimChim - 2012-02-26

I'm sure. I cut and pasted into the terminal window.

I did see a broken pipe notice. I tried twice...

Quote:Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get remove org.tomcool.xbmc-booter
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
org.tomcool.xbmc-booter
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
After this operation, 16.4kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
(Reading database ... 3245 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing org.tomcool.xbmc-booter ...
Apple-TV:~ root# Write failed: Broken pipe

On second try:
Quote:Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get remove org.tomcool.xbmc-booter
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package org.tomcool.xbmc-booter is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.
Apple-TV:~ root# 0
-sh: 0: command not found
Apple-TV:~ root# Write failed: Host is down

Maybe I should reinstall it and then remove it? I did a backup of my settings folder already, but I'm hoping i don't need to do a new jailbreak/install of XBMC.

- davilla - 2012-02-26

in some other thread, I outlined how to manually remove it. search.

- ChimChim - 2012-02-26

Took me a little while, but I found that thread. Thanks!

So it's here for everyone... I SSH'ed into the ATV2 and deleted the library as such:

Quote:rm /Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries/xbmcbooter.dylib