Kodi Community Forum
XBMC PulseAudio passthrough support (including Nvidia) is available - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: XBMC PulseAudio passthrough support (including Nvidia) is available (/showthread.php?tid=96316)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

- aragorn - 2011-11-05

actually i lie, simply typing "pulseaudio" at the commandline causes a seg fault...

If i start pulse with the -nC switch, and manually feed in the "load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,7" command, I can then use the play-file command to successfully play music...

Confused now!

- John Obaterspok - 2011-11-05

Hi,

I started with instructions provided first in this thread except that I didn't compile pulseaudio since I have pulseaudio 1.1 already installed.

Then I launched xbmc and set audio output & passthrough both to Pulse Audio (standard).

Now I *finally* have 5.1 sound working on my Intel Sandy Bridge mobo with HDMI connection to TV.

So then the question is, when is this planned to get pulled into xbmc head?

Thanks!

//John

- cbxbiker61 - 2011-11-05

John Obaterspok Wrote:Hi,

I started with instructions provided first in this thread except that I didn't compile pulseaudio since I have pulseaudio 1.1 already installed.

Then I launched xbmc and set audio output & passthrough both to Pulse Audio (standard).

Now I *finally* have 5.1 sound working on my Intel Sandy Bridge mobo with HDMI connection to TV.

So then the question is, when is this planned to get pulled into xbmc head?

Thanks!

//John

So it's working with Intel's HDMI then?? If so that's great. I only have Nvidia to test with. ATI seems to work also.

As far as pulling into head... The main developers here are invested pretty heavily in the AudioEngine branch, which is a pretty big overhaul of the audio subsystem. My objective with my branch was to get something working ASAP with the hardware that I have. Realistically, any merging into head would probably come after AudioEngine is merged. I do rebase with head periodically, so an official merge with head is not too important.

- halfsane - 2011-11-06

Running Ubuntu 11.10 , Nvidia GT430, Onkyo 605

Compiled and installed audiofilter and xbmc from the first post. (I have PA 1.1 installed) Pasthrough does not work with any codec. I get loud static on all pulse settings.

Is there something that I missed?

I also tried custom hw:0,9 with no luck (works with speaker-test)

I will upload a log file later tonight or tomorrow if needd.

- John Obaterspok - 2011-11-06

cbxbiker61 Wrote:So it's working with Intel's HDMI then?? If so that's great. I only have Nvidia to test with. ATI seems to work also.

As far as pulling into head... The main developers here are invested pretty heavily in the AudioEngine branch, which is a pretty big overhaul of the audio subsystem. My objective with my branch was to get something working ASAP with the hardware that I have. Realistically, any merging into head would probably come after AudioEngine is merged. I do rebase with head periodically, so an official merge with head is not too important.

Yes, It's an Intel DH67GD media mobo with a Sandy Bridge CPU connected to TV via HDMI. I only tried a AC3 5.1 test and all channels were OK. Then I watched an old 2 channel movie and it was perfect as well.

Do you know if the merge will happen before Eden?

//John

- eternalsword - 2011-11-06

It will not make Eden as it is already past feature-freeze. I believe AudioEngine is planned for the release following Eden. I would expect the merge would happen for that release.

- cbxbiker61 - 2011-11-10

I just rebased my branch with master.

I had some issues with the previous rebase version, some lockups, some abnormal aborts, unusual disk activity slowing down operations.

In the couple of hours that I've tested it after the new rebase these problems seem to be resolved.

- John Obaterspok - 2011-11-12

Hi,

Master required libcec 1.0 at least a week ago.

configure:23269: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libcec = 0.7.0"
Requested 'libcec = 0.7.0' but version of libcec is 1:0:0

Perhaps you missed this with your last rebase?

//John

- cbxbiker61 - 2011-11-12

This is what's in configure.in.

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([CEC],[libcec >= 1.0.0],,[use_libcec="no";AC_MSG_RESULT($libcec_disabled)])

configure shouldn't be in the repo, did you forget to "autoreconf -vif"?

- John Obaterspok - 2011-11-12

cbxbiker61 Wrote:This is what's in configure.in.

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([CEC],[libcec >= 1.0.0],,[use_libcec="no";AC_MSG_RESULT($libcec_disabled)])

configure shouldn't be in the repo, did you forget to "autoreconf -vif"?

Strange, I reran configure and this time it didn't complain.

Thanks!

//John

- sjongele - 2011-11-14

Hi,

Using a GT425M, Ubuntu Oneiric, options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=-1,0x2 in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, "HDA Nvidia hdmi (ALSA)" selected as passthrough device, I get correct DTS, DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-HRA passthrough. DTS-HD MA fails however; my receiver keeps switching between DTS and DTS-HD and is not able to detect the incoming bitrate.

Any idea where I should start looking for a mistake?

Sander

- cbxbiker61 - 2011-11-15

sjongele Wrote:Hi,

Using a GT425M, Ubuntu Oneiric, options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=-1,0x2 in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, "HDA Nvidia hdmi (ALSA)" selected as passthrough device, I get correct DTS, DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-HRA passthrough. DTS-HD MA fails however; my receiver keeps switching between DTS and DTS-HD and is not able to detect the incoming bitrate.

Any idea where I should start looking for a mistake?

Sander

Is PulseAudio running on that machine? Probably not, since you have selected "hdmi (ALSA). You may have a pulseaudio config problem. If you've upgraded PulseAudio make sure that you are using the latest files in /etc/pulse. In my case I have to update those files when the PulseAudio version changes.

My current setup with a GTX460 and PulseAudio 1.1 lists my passthrough device as "GF104 High Definition Audio Controller Digital Stereo (HDMI) (PulseAudio)".

- sjongele - 2011-11-15

Thanks for the quick response!

I have a "GF108 High Definition Audio Controller". If I set that to stereo (which feels counter-intuitive) passthrough does indeed work with Pulse. Same issues as with the ALSA setting though; everything up to and including DTS-HRA seems to work reliably.
What I did find though, is that DTS-HD MA works for one movie, but not for others.
I'm using Pulse 1.0 (as included in Oneiric). Is there any specific fix in 1.1 that should help, or any buffer setting(?) I should try?

- cbxbiker61 - 2011-11-15

sjongele Wrote:Thanks for the quick response!

I have a "GF108 High Definition Audio Controller". If I set that to stereo (which feels counter-intuitive) passthrough does indeed work with Pulse. Same issues as with the ALSA setting though; everything up to and including DTS-HRA seems to work reliably.
What I did find though, is that DTS-HD MA works for one movie, but not for others.
I'm using Pulse 1.0 (as included in Oneiric). Is there any specific fix in 1.1 that should help, or any buffer setting(?) I should try?

There is no specific fix in 1.1 that would address this issue. It's more of an issue where specific movies are exceeding the bandwidth that can be currently passed through the PulseAudio implementation as it is today. I've tried in the past to get higher bandwidth through Pulse, but have so far been unable to make it work.

Different tuners exhibit this problem differently, some have an ugly distorted sound coming out of some of the speakers (most likely the rears). Yours appears to toggle between DTS and DTS-hd.

On the movies that you have problems with, one way to workaround the issue it to strip the DTS-HD track (just get the DTS core) when you rip the movie. That would keep you working until we can get a higher bandwidth Pulse implementation working.

- sjongele - 2011-11-15

Clear; keep up the good work!

Having XBMC pre-Eden and your pre-Eden HD Passthrough installed in parallel allows to switch between the two as a work-around.