Kodi Community Forum
Finally, the waiting is Over!! Here's my HTPC!! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Finally, the waiting is Over!! Here's my HTPC!! (/showthread.php?tid=96489)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- eskro - 2011-07-14

which card? GT210? you'll be fine with those games..

- spong_miester - 2011-07-14

No i meant the Asus GT520 sorry

- eskro - 2011-07-14

same no worries

- karl10247 - 2011-07-17

Great thread Eskro, im just doing my research into a my own custom HTPC now but i have some questions if you dont mind?

1. I've looked at all the HTPC cases on newegg, half have IR receivers half do not. On those that have a receiver the stock remotes are generally poor so is it possible to use any other remote i.e. a logitech harmony with the onboard receiver?
2. Following on from 1) if i went with a case that does not have an onboard receiver is there a seperate internal (i dont want external usb) receiver i can get and then get whatever custom remote i want?
3. Can XBMC receive digital free to air tv providing you have a tuner? (im not talking cable tv). I am looking at doing away with my topfield PVR all together and using the HTPC as the PVR perhaps using media center which i know can receive tv
4. Is your build "powerful" enough to run commercial removing software? (commskip, show analyzer)
5. Finally in continuation of 1) and 2) i reckon i'll get a remote for tv/media center use and keep my current (yet crappy) wireless logitech keyboard/mouse for browsing or windows general use. Down the line i reckon i might get an ipad though which as i am aware can control a HTPC, so which items of these 3 would i no longer need/use? trying to plan for the future...

Cant wait to get my beast assembled!!!!
Thanks in advance

- eskro - 2011-07-17

Hi karl10247,
best to create a new thread about your questions....
Many could then have a look at it!

- poofyhairguy - 2011-07-18

karl10247 Wrote:1. I've looked at all the HTPC cases on newegg, half have IR receivers half do not. On those that have a receiver the stock remotes are generally poor so is it possible to use any other remote i.e. a logitech harmony with the onboard receiver?

A Harmony can copy any IR remote as long as the OS can support it.

Quote:3. Can XBMC receive digital free to air tv providing you have a tuner? (im not talking cable tv). I am looking at doing away with my topfield PVR all together and using the HTPC as the PVR perhaps using media center which i know can receive tv

There is a PVR branch, but it is a work in progress.

Quote:4. Is your build "powerful" enough to run commercial removing software? (commskip, show analyzer)

Yes.

- karl10247 - 2011-07-18

poofyhairguy Wrote:A Harmony can copy any IR remote as long as the OS can support it.

So for cases that do not have a receiver, the only seperate internal receiver i could find is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999191

So is this the only option for an internal receiver in a case that does not come with one as stock?

Btw thanks for the replies Poofy Big Grin

- poofyhairguy - 2011-07-18

karl10247 Wrote:So for cases that do not have a receiver, the only seperate internal receiver i could find is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999191

So is this the only option for an internal receiver in a case that does not come with one as stock?

Yes, but that is considered to be a pretty good one.

I will say that personally I think the only other options are external ones via USB. They are easier to hide then you think.

Quote:Btw thanks for the replies Poofy Big Grin

Glad to help.

- kaha - 2011-07-18

Hi!

One Questsion...

When you are in the video overview and you scroll over a video the discription of this video pops up and you get a background from the video. How do you do this? Are there any Options? I have to go in the video folder to see the discription etc.

I hope you understand what i mean Big Grin

Thanks!

- eskro - 2011-07-18

your in the wrong forum section kaha

- kaha - 2011-07-18

eskro Wrote:your in the wrong forum section kaha

i know, but i saw your video and thought so you are better understand what i mean Smile

btw. thanks for your HTPC guide, i build my new HTPC after them Smile

- eskro - 2011-07-18

well, i use AEON MQ2 skin in my video,,,,

- Beer40oz - 2011-08-11

Eskro FTW!

- eskro - 2011-08-11

Beer40oz Wrote:Eskro FTW!

hahaha,, thx

- anarchoi - 2011-08-25

can you power ON the HTPC with the remote ? or its just for "sleep" mode
does it get hot with AMD processor ? whats the temperature at ? i'm building a htpc and i'm not sure if i should go with intel processor or AMD... i heard AMD generates more heat

can you control all xbmc features with the remote ?
i'm not sure if i should buy this case and use the remote for xbmc, or buy a case without remote and invest in a better remote....
any suggestions?