Kodi Community Forum
sigma or ion - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: sigma or ion (/showthread.php?tid=97007)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

sigma or ion - katwax - 2011-03-16

Hi,

I was wondering what would give me the best picture quality, sigma chip or ion2?

I have a pch110 and it works goed, but it's slow and xbmc doesn't work on it.

Will be using it only to playback mkv, iso and sometimes divx up to 1080p on a pioneer 50" plasma.

So I was thinking on waiting for the new sigma chip with the xbmc support, but for the same money as a popcorn I can have a htpc like zotac zbox, ... with the ion2 gpu.

Question is will it be worth waiting for the new sigma chip or is the video quality of the ion2 as good or better than the current sigma chips (and hopefully the xbmc supported sigma chip)?

- eskro - 2011-03-16

video quality is already perfect here...

if your thinking of moving from POPCORN hour to a ZOTAC mini PC

its because u know u can have better stronger stuff ....

and not to mention, the possibility to Surf the NET FULLY to your liking!!

- katwax - 2011-03-16

What do you mean with better? That even when the new chip is implemented that a zotac will preform better?

I've done some searching and some people moved from htpc to dune or pch, some claim the picture is better, sharper and better upscaling. But you also see it other way arround, but those people only do it because the interface is faster and the extra stuff they get/could get Smile

- topfs2 - 2011-03-16

Sigma has just begun porting and it may take years before it reaches out to consumer hardware. You'll just have to wait and see, if you want xbmc box now then ION is a solid piece of hardware and will most likely be the best piece of hardware for a while longer.

- eskro - 2011-03-16

i dont like PopCorn hour or anything else besides a real HTPC,,,

why? because of the Price/Performance/Feature ratio....

with something like a PopCorn hour, your closed to that platform and thats it!

where on a HTPC, the sky's the limit!

- katwax - 2011-03-16

Ok seems clear :p

So if I go with a ZOTAC ZBOX HD-ID11 or a asus eee with same specs it will blow away my A110 (after good setup with xbmc live)?

- >>X<< - 2011-03-16

I've read a few posts on here where people have made the switch from PCH to HTPC and thought PQ was inferior I guess its mainly SD stuff

- eskro - 2011-03-16

its funny because,
im still watching highly compressed 700mb movies in AVi format
and picture is amazing on my SAMSUNG HDTV lol..

- joethefox - 2011-03-16

@>>X<<, maybe NVIDIA VDPAU Temporal/Spatial (motion detection/compensation) helps on deinterlacing and
Lanczos3 helps on upscaling... which are the algorithms used by a PopCorn Hour? Smile

- PatrickVogeli - 2011-03-16

high compressed 700mb in avi and amazing picture quality?? To me, 700mb 2 hours film look like garbage.. sorry.

Quality stuff is something that everybody has a different point of view, what for someone can be absolutely perfect for somebody else is average at best.

I don't think you'll ever get better Picture Quality and better decoding abilities with a Sigma XMBC chip than with a real HTPC.

- BORIStheBLADE - 2011-03-16

I owned a PCH and moved to a XBMC device because I was irritated with the bugs they never fixed.

Picture quality is very close between them both with blu-ray rips. I couldn't pick which one looked better.

- katwax - 2011-03-16

BORIStheBLADE Wrote:I owned a PCH and moved to a XBMC device because I was irritated with the bugs they never fixed.

Picture quality is very close between them both with blu-ray rips. I couldn't pick which one looked better.

With blu-ray rips you mean mkv?

It seems you all agree that it wouldn't be a step backwards.
As long I take a htpc with an atom cpu and an ion2 gpu.

- linko - 2011-03-16

Why not a Fusion based htpc? Should be better and more efficient than ion/ion2 as long as your os i windows anyway

- katwax - 2011-03-16

Because I want to use xbmc live. I just think windows 7 is overkill for a device that only needs to play movies.
So after looking into this board, it seems that for xbmc live ion is the best gpu.

- BORIStheBLADE - 2011-03-16

katwax Wrote:With blu-ray rips you mean mkv?

It seems you all agree that it wouldn't be a step backwards.
As long I take a htpc with an atom cpu and an ion2 gpu.

Ya they were rips with MakeMKV. I don't remember which movies I test because it was a while ago.

Yes I will say it is definitely not a step back. At the worst on par.