Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

[RELEASE] Crystalbuntu: CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV + UI installer - Sam.Nazarko - 2011-03-28

Hey. It's here Smile

The Windows and Linux installers for AppleTV Linux distributions with CrystalHD drivers and XBMC are now complete. Read more and grab the installers from my blog here

I am grateful for the support in this community. Developers are undoubtedly encouraged to achieve their best.

If you have any questions or need any help, please feel free to leave them here. Please check the Ubuntu documentation here first, as most answers can be obtained from here.

Please consider making a donation on my blog if this software helped you.

May 2011 Service Update
Ubuntu Hardy goes End Of Life

Head over to a new Crystalbuntu specific forum. This allows wider discussion and to not be constricted to a single thread, meaning issues and queries can be better answered. This thread will not be used anymore

- brock_gonad - 2011-03-29

Thanks Sam!

I'm still using the original Crystalbuntu image on my own - but this will help noobs!

I've gotten as far as having Apple TV's mailed to me to update because friends / family toasted theirs trying to follow the confusing directions in the original monster thread.

Cheers.

- Slagfart - 2011-03-29

Hi Sam,

a) Will this clear the internal partitions and free the AppleTV to use the full 40GB or 120GB?

b) Can this be used on AppleTVs regardless of their current state? (working XBMC install, botched XBMC install, Factory-default)?

Thanks!

Asking to login - dnguyen77 - 2011-03-29

Hi Sam,

I am using a USB stick to run this setup. During the installation the screen went blank for a while so I rebooted ATV now when it boot up it asking me to login. How am I going to input the username / password since the usb stick already in the usb slot.

- Observer - 2011-03-29

Slagfart Wrote:Hi Sam,

a) Will this clear the internal partitions and free the AppleTV to use the full 40GB or 120GB?

b) Can this be used on AppleTVs regardless of their current state? (working XBMC install, botched XBMC install, Factory-default)?

Thanks!

Sam This looks like a cool solution for us non linux experts.

The corollary of @Slagfar's question a above:

c) Will this setup have the option to preserve existing Apple TV partitions, by reducing the size of the media partition ?

Additionally:

d) Are there any plans for an OSX based installer for us Mac folks that don't have a windows box ?

e) Will it set up the environment to support dual boot (hopefully via boot menu) so one can beet between Linux and the Default Apple TV OS, and not need to have a USB stick/disk plugged in to get to the Linux distro.

f) To make is more AppleTV like, will its also include and AFP Server, and perhaps even support AirPlay

Very Cool ! Thanks for dedicating your time to this ! Cool

- Bagheera - 2011-03-29

I was looking forward to see this thread - even made a twitter acc to follow you on this Wink

As you mentioned I am one of these guys who run xbmc on OS X, because I have no clue about linux. My knowledge is restricted on google / search this forum - and honestly most of the guides and hints just needs at least basic linux knowledge. Im looking forward to run linux xbmc on my aTV!!

For sure I will be one of the supporter via donation Wink

/I got one question: does your image support a USB hard drive (either with USB stick image & USB hub or install on the internal hard drive)?

- Paulkai - 2011-03-30

I have left a message on sams blog. What am I missing, I have downloaded the file which create a disc image anybody give me a few pointers

Paul

- h2sammo - 2011-03-30

does it have remote control support so that we can click through the installation since we will not be able to use the USB port for keyboard/mouse?

thank you for your contribution

- h2sammo - 2011-03-30

Paulkai Wrote:I have left a message on sams blog. What am I missing, I have downloaded the file which create a disc image anybody give me a few pointers

Paul

have the 4gb USB connected when you start the script. the installation will ask you if you want the image installed on a USB device or local disk. select the USB device if u want a live usb or internal hd if u want to use the usb to install onto atv hd and the script will download the image, extract it and put it onto the USB device.

- automated - 2011-03-30

Are there any performance issues running off a USB drive vs the internal drive?

Is there any documentation for this? Im running atv with crystal hd card and would like to switch to the linux build but I'm really not sure how to go about it.

- Paulkai - 2011-03-30

Hi h2

I have downloaded the rar file but when I extract that all I get is the image file, is this the one or is there another file I have to download first.

Paul

- Bagheera - 2011-03-30

@Paulkai
i used the files in this link Windows Installer

Well I created a USB stick with it (boot from USB); first boot on aTV went well. It took some time, but XBMC started. I only had one issue: No Sound via HDMI.

After that i tried to reboot the aTV (unplug it). This time XBMC didn't start - an error occurred.
I created a new USB Stick = same error.

Since I have no clue how to describe it, i just took a picture Wink

Can anyone help on this?

/i used Win7 Usb Drives with 4gb & 8gb

- pauljbent - 2011-03-30

I did the slightly more complex install prior to this version appearing and I just plugged in a mega cheapo unpowered USB hub and plugged in my USB Stick & USB Keyboard to that.
The ATV booted, detected the USB and allowed me to use the keyboard with no issues, so I assume that would work with Sams new installer as well.

Great work Sam by the way, my ATV now plays 1080P (outputting to 720P though as that's all my TV supports) with no problems other than some stuttering during the first few seconds as it buffers. With the prior install I had under the Apple OS I couldn't even get 720P to play Big Grin

- h2sammo - 2011-03-30

i wonder what the username/passwords are for ssh login into the USB live version or the on HD version.

- Bagheera - 2011-03-30

after you created the USB stick the PW/login was mentioned on the "sucess screen". Irrc atv / atv