Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- ngiardina - 2011-04-20

Sam,
First off, thanks so much for this. I have a quick question. I had the blinking question mark issue, so I formatted my HDD and USB Stick, and started from scratch. Everything works again perfectly, except for that whenever I select anything on the home screen, (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, Pictures, Music) it takes approximately 30 seconds to respond. CPU usage is low, around 20%, and memory is at about 50%.

All other UI movement is smooth except for that (and no UI sounds over HDMI). Any thoughts?

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-21

ngiardina Wrote:Sam,
First off, thanks so much for this. I have a quick question. I had the blinking question mark issue, so I formatted my HDD and USB Stick, and started from scratch. Everything works again perfectly, except for that whenever I select anything on the home screen, (i.e. Movies, TV Shows, Pictures, Music) it takes approximately 30 seconds to respond. CPU usage is low, around 20%, and memory is at about 50%.

All other UI movement is smooth except for that (and no UI sounds over HDMI). Any thoughts?

That's really weird. My memory is never above 35% really (so yours is High) and CPU stables at around 17% (about normal for you as well). Made any modifications to the image (installed addons/software etc). If not, maybe you're getting bad IO throughput from your IDE drive: test with
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Backing up user settings ... - pmcd - 2011-04-21

I was about to move to the internal drive when I went to back up my settings. userdata in /usr/share/xbmc/... doesn't seem to have anything of interest ( sources, etc...). Is there an obvious way of saving my settings that I have and restoring them to the new install? Perhaps userdata is elsewhere as well?

philip

- ngiardina - 2011-04-21

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:That's really weird. My memory is never above 35% really (so yours is High) and CPU stables at around 17% (about normal for you as well). Made any modifications to the image (installed addons/software etc). If not, maybe you're getting bad IO throughput from your IDE drive: test with
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Thanks, Sam. I will give it a shot. Disk performance makes sense, because everything else is most likely loaded in memory. I will post results of test.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-21

pmcd Wrote:I was about to move to the internal drive when I went to back up my settings. userdata in /usr/share/xbmc/... doesn't seem to have anything of interest ( sources, etc...). Is there an obvious way of saving my settings that I have and restoring them to the new install? Perhaps userdata is elsewhere as well?

philip

DD the content of root partition directly to your HDD, only thing thats changed is start and end pos. Be sure to modify com.apple.Boot.plist and /etc/fstab and your good. This means you don't need to back anything up

- pmcd - 2011-04-22

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:DD the content of root partition directly to your HDD, only thing thats changed is start and end pos. Be sure to modify com.apple.Boot.plist and /etc/fstab and your good. This means you don't need to back anything up

Hmm ... the current version is living on a USB HDD. So I assume I boot my flash drive which has dd on it ( the one used for backing things up) and dd the sdb device to sda. I can see how to get at fstab, but com.apple.Bootlist.plist is on the hfs partition which isn't mounted. Do I mount it and edit the file?

I can't run dd from the currently installed xbmc HDD drive when it's already booted the ATV or can I?

In any case, I currently am getting >53% memory use so perhaps I should do a fairly clean install, though perhaps the USB usage is causing the high memory use? Eventually after running things for days it does run out of memory so there is a memory loss somewhere. I have an autoupdate addon which looks for any new addition to my library and I also use BackRow. Perhaps it's that. That, amongst other reasons, is the reason for wanting to know how to back up my setting ( scapings, etc...). Can I just back up /root/.xbmc and then restore that? Or perhaps just /root/.xbmc/userdata and then I would manually manually add back the addons I want?

As XBMC runs out of memory there is minor stuttering at the start of playback. Still works though which is impressive.

philip

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-22

pmcd Wrote:Hmm ... the current version is living on a USB HDD. So I assume I boot my flash drive which has dd on it ( the one used for backing things up) and dd the sdb device to sda. I can see how to get at fstab, but com.apple.Bootlist.plist is on the hfs partition which isn't mounted. Do I mount it and edit the file?

I can't run dd from the currently installed xbmc HDD drive when it's already booted the ATV or can I?

In any case, I currently am getting >53% memory use so perhaps I should do a fairly clean install, though perhaps the USB usage is causing the high memory use? Eventually after running things for days it does run out of memory so there is a memory loss somewhere. I have an autoupdate addon which looks for any new addition to my library and I also use BackRow. Perhaps it's that. That, amongst other reasons, is the reason for wanting to know how to back up my setting ( scapings, etc...). Can I just back up /root/.xbmc and then restore that? Or perhaps just /root/.xbmc/userdata and then I would manually manually add back the addons I want?

As XBMC runs out of memory there is minor stuttering at the start of playback. Still works though which is impressive.

philip

Yep. Mount and edit the file on the hfs+ volume. You can run dd from the already booted system, it'll work fine.

Yes you can backup /root/.xbmc

You shouldn't run out of memory. Ever. When I used it with confluence I was typically using 35% of RAM giving me 170MB free. Never ran out of memory 'after a few days'. Your setup seems atypical. The whole OS should take around 90MB memory in full operation.

- da-bitsch - 2011-04-22

I have a sound related problem...

All my movies and addons got sound over hdmi, but the menu sounds are not playing... How can i force ALL sound on the cyrstal ubuntu to go through hdmi?

(i did the plughw:0,3)

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-22

Did you create an .asoundrc file

- pmcd - 2011-04-23

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:If you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty then:

Boot into atv-bootloader. Connect via telnet and run:

dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -c > hdd.img.gz

If you ever want to restore, boot that same USB and run this over telnet:

gunzip -c hdd.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda

(Thanks for donation pmcd)

Ok, the usb bootloader has 3 partitions. The 3rd, sdb3, has a lot of space. So I made a directory in /mnt on the usb stick. I called it atv.
I mounted it mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sdb3 /mnt/atv
I changed directory to /mnt/atv

I then ran

dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -c > hdd.img.gz

When I first tried it, the process was killed because there isn't enough space in root's home on the usb stick.

I can now run md5sum on that file but that won't tell me if it's the same as the interal disk?

It would be nice to have the sdb3 partition mounted when the flash booted to /mnt/atv, but I can seem to get that. Any ideas? It's not crucial as I can always do it manually. Just makes it idiot proof and I won't have to remember all the details.

philip

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-23

Try md5sum, check result -- you'd have to parse gunzip output to md5sum, as compression won't match.

Code:
mount -t hfsplus -o rw,force /dev/sdb3 /mnt/atv
cd /mnt/atv

Put that in a file called patchstick.sh on /dev/sdb1 and it will auto mount and change the path.

- da-bitsch - 2011-04-23

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Did you create an .asoundrc file

I did that now Smile my atv is now running like this:

crystalubuntu via hdmi
airplayer
shairport

Thank you for the small trick Sam Wink

Good to hear.

You installed Airplayer, meaning you had to upgrade Python to 2.6. Did this break any addon functionality?

- da-bitsch - 2011-04-23

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Good to hear.

You installed Airplayer, meaning you had to upgrade Python to 2.6. Did this break any addon functionality?

so far i havent noticed anything not working... If you want me to test something specific i'll do that..

That won't be necessary but thanks for the offer. Debating whether or not to deploy Airplayer in the next update.