Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-26

Thomss Wrote:Amazing work thank you so much, I have it working just about to order a Broadcom Crystal HD Decoder Mini Card BCM70010/BCM70012 - once this arrives and my library plays I will be donating £££.

excellent stuff.

Good to hear. And thanks, donations always encourage me to put more work in and cover bandwidth costs too

nchall Wrote:Sam:

Thanks for all your work on this.

I am using your image on an ATV1 without a Crystal HD, and with a Harmony Remote and the recompiled atvclient.ccp. After a few problems I have it almost working the way I want currently.

Two questions though:

I'd like to be able to use the XBMC Android remote. It doesn't seem to be fully working with your image. Any ideas as to why? Specifically won't list TV shows and on screen remote doesn't function. Possibly related to keymap or changes to atvclient.

I'm trying to use a wireless keyboard app on my phone to input text to XBMC. Since this is Linux, should I just pursue this through Linux, or do you have any ideas how to do this? Maybe run a VNC service in the background?

Thanks again.

Regards android remote, are you allowing programs on this and other machines to control XBMC under System. Also. It might seem obvious, but Tv shows won't list properly if you don't have library mode on

The keyboard should work fine. You'll likely have to fix the layout in x11 as I set it up with a UK keyboard. That and dpkg -reconfigure locales should work. VNC could work fine -- remember x11 is loaded from ec.local though so append it there. I was using VNC to do some video capture of
Crystalbuntu in action (78MB/s is hard to render real time though..)

- pmcd - 2011-04-26

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Yup. You need to setup Policykit and hal (see comments on blog)

That seems to do much more than I want. I just want to be able to reboot the ATV from the restart/shutdown/quit command in XBMC. I would have thought that adding "sudo reboot" to the end of /etc/rc.local would work but it still drops me down to a Linux shell. I was sure I had this working using your older image by just adding that command.

Essentially I would rather not have to ssh in every time I want to restart the ATV. The only reason I want to restart it is that there seems to be some small memory loss with my install which may be related to boot from a USB HDD. I "only" have 50% memory left and that can get even lower as time goes by. Rebooting makes it go back to 70%.

Perhaps sudo reboot can't be the last line in rc.local?

philip

- illiac4 - 2011-04-26

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Ahh. You're using the CGI module -- this can be buggy and lighty soon loses its performance gain. lightppd is great for static pages but imo its cgi module is buggy at this time

Do you have any other suggestion so i can use php with? Is nginx better in this case? It has to be lightweight.

- illiac4 - 2011-04-26

Hi!

Well i have posted this before but now it seems that the installer does not work if no internal disk is attached in ATV and using USB pen only.

I have setup an ATV, removed the internal disk and created USB pen drive using your installer and it will not boot. When a reattcah the drive it works but not if unattached.

I assume i have to change something in com.apple.boot.plist

- bass63 - 2011-04-26

nchall Wrote:I am using your image on an ATV1 without a Crystal HD, and with a Harmony Remote and the recompiled atvclient.ccp. After a few problems I have it almost working the way I want currently.

Are you using Harmony remote to emulate original 6 button remote or have you managed to install lirc or something to program all available XBMC commands? If so, I would love to know how to do this in Sam's image. Thanks in advance!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-26

pmcd Wrote:That seems to do much more than I want. I just want to be able to reboot the ATV from the restart/shutdown/quit command in XBMC. I would have thought that adding "sudo reboot" to the end of /etc/rc.local would work but it still drops me down to a Linux shell. I was sure I had this working using your older image by just adding that command.

Essentially I would rather not have to ssh in every time I want to restart the ATV. The only reason I want to restart it is that there seems to be some small memory loss with my install which may be related to boot from a USB HDD. I "only" have 50% memory left and that can get even lower as time goes by. Rebooting makes it go back to 70%.

Perhaps sudo reboot can't be the last line in rc.local?

philip

Wouldn't advise this route. For starters, I'm updating the image with a new rc.local soon to be PVR build compliant, that's gonna get ugly if you make modifcations to the file that are not replicated. If you do want to do it, you add "reboot" (no sudo, already elevated), and then exit 0 on another line below (exit 0 must be last line). This means though that if XBMC ever crashes on startup due to say a bug in an addon, you will have an infinite reboot loop until you mount the volume manually on a different OS or machine.

- Andy S2K - 2011-04-26

everything works but i have some frame drops with ATV and 7015 Crystal HD on 1080p film.....Random frame drops that i also have with the older non Sam Image....

I also can't see the number of frame drops. How can we see the OSD with the information? I know that i have someframe drops but I can't motinoring this with this image...

- thnmnt - 2011-04-27

Andy S2K Wrote:I also can't see the number of frame drops. How can we see the OSD with the information? I know that i have someframe drops but I can't motinoring this with this image...

Did you try holding 'menu' on the remote? That should bring it up. (hold menu again to get rid of it)

- GuySie - 2011-04-27

Just used the installer, finally got crystalbuntu running on the internal HD! I was having serious problems with my db size and the amount of fanart on my 8gig USB stick. Feels a bit speedier and more stable when playing 720s too versus my old pin87 install! Thanks Sam!

bass63 Wrote:Are you using Harmony remote to emulate original 6 button remote or have you managed to install lirc or something to program all available XBMC commands? If so, I would love to know how to do this in Sam's image. Thanks in advance!

I have used the options="-m" method to get more working Harmony buttons.
https://github.com/Evinyatar/atvclient/wiki/
and then
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=55660

On my old install this needed a recompiled atvclient, but on Sam's it worked out of the box.

Two things I'm wondering about are: what's this .asoundrc for menusounds trick that's mentioned a few times in this thread? I don't really miss the menu sounds (silence is golden and all), but i'm OCD enough that I want to have everything up and running, just in case... and: I'm also one of the people who have odd behaviour from advancedsettings.xml. My DDS fanart works (after the CPU chugged along for a few hours converting them all, poor thing) but the GPU temp is still a ?.

- GuySie - 2011-04-27

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Wouldn't advise this route.

So, you're saying to wait it out for your next PVR-related patch? Because I already edited mine after reading this in your manual:

"However, if XBMC is crashing, then this is likely due to a lack of memory available to the system. Therefore, a reboot is optimal. It does take notably longer before XBMC is restarted but ensures the system regains resources. This can be done by adding sudo reboot to the end of rc.local which can be edited via SSH with sudo nano /etc/rc.local. To regain access to the TTY session at any time, remove the reboot command."

- illiac4 - 2011-04-27

illiac4 Wrote:Hi!

Well i have posted this before but now it seems that the installer does not work if no internal disk is attached in ATV and using USB pen only.

I have setup an ATV, removed the internal disk and created USB pen drive using your installer and it will not boot. When a reattcah the drive it works but not if unattached.

I assume i have to change something in com.apple.boot.plist

Well i did it. Hope that i did not break something else with this Smile
I did:
Edit: com.apple.boot.plist (Using Gparted distro)
---------------------------------------
sudo su
cd
sudo umount /dev/sdb2
fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdb2
mkdir mnt
mount -t hfsplus -o rw /dev/sdb1 mnt
cd mnt
sudo nano com.apple.boot.plist

(edit from sdb3 to sda3 (because there is no internal disk in ATV))

cd
sudo umount /dev/sdXn
rm -rf mnt

Now it boots and also updates are working Smile

- pumkinut - 2011-04-27

GuySie Wrote:So, you're saying to wait it out for your next PVR-related patch? Because I already edited mine after reading this in your manual:

"However, if XBMC is crashing, then this is likely due to a lack of memory available to the system. Therefore, a reboot is optimal. It does take notably longer before XBMC is restarted but ensures the system regains resources. This can be done by adding sudo reboot to the end of rc.local which can be edited via SSH with sudo nano /etc/rc.local. To regain access to the TTY session at any time, remove the reboot command."

Why not just write a reboot script and save it as a favorite?
Code:
atv | sudo -S reboot

- Andy S2K - 2011-04-27

thnmnt Wrote:Did you try holding 'menu' on the remote? That should bring it up. (hold menu again to get rid of it)

yes, with the old mine release this works. Now with the Sam Image holding the menu on the remote open the video in a window and give me the possibilitity of navigation in the xbmc menu.....

A little help with airplay - cakeove - 2011-04-27

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Nice. Airplay sounds good.

I've said several times why I redownload the image every time. I won't repeat the lengthy explanation here.

You're right! No direct references to parted but there is to partprobe which synchronises the filesystems. I will therefore add an apt-get install parted to the top of the script (it doesn't have to be patched).

Sam, First of all excellent work. i could install the image on the internal hdd without any problems.

However i am experience some problems enabling airplay. i follow your recommendation installing python 2.6.

http://www.lysium.de/blog/index.php?/archives/229-Installing-Python-2.6-on-Ubuntu-8.04.html

the last commands where

ln -s /opt/python2.6/bin/python2.6 /usr/bin/python-2.6
ln -s /opt/python2.6/bin/pydoc /usr/bin/pydoc-2.6.

Are these ok? i am not very familiar with these links.

The second step its following the Pascal tutorial. I successfully install airplay on ubuntu 10.10 + XBMC 10.1 without any problem. I works perfect.

When i try in the apple tv the first problem that i found is
atv@appletv-ubuntu:/usr/bin$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package python-pip
atv@appletv-ubuntu:/usr/bin$

I try manually install it. but i am not very familiar with python. I could install the python-pip but i guest i was installed on the python-2.5 and when i try to run airplayer i get errors.

Do you have any idea to solve this? I read in the post that you have to make that only airplayer uses python 2.6. how can i do this?

Regards.

Can you put some guide - cakeove - 2011-04-27

Ilia Wrote:I have made it work Big Grin

You do need to update python to 2.6 -> http://www.lysium.de/blog/index.php?/archives/229-Installing-Python-2.6-on-Ubuntu-8.04.html
and the DNS updater from the install readme.

I try following the instructions but get this error.

atv@appletv-ubuntu:/usr/bin$ sudo apt-get install python-pip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package python-pip
atv@appletv-ubuntu:/usr/bin$

i will appreciate your help with this
regards.