Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- h2sammo - 2011-03-30

that didnt post for me.

what is the username/password ?

EDIT: sorry... just saw it your post they are atv/atv

what bit-torrent solution do you guys have in mind? i am thinking transmission daemon.

- moonwalker - 2011-03-30

Bagheera Wrote:@Paulkai
i used the files in this link Windows Installer

Well I created a USB stick with it (boot from USB); first boot on aTV went well. It took some time, but XBMC started. I only had one issue: No Sound via HDMI.

After that i tried to reboot the aTV (unplug it). This time XBMC didn't start - an error occurred.
I created a new USB Stick = same error.

Since I have no clue how to describe it, i just took a picture Wink

Can anyone help on this?

/i used Win7 Usb Drives with 4gb & 8gb

I have the same problem on an allready running crystallbuntu system! Never had any problems with booting.
Since a couple of days (I don't know exactly how many) I get the same screen as mentioned above.Sad

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-03-30

Slagfart Wrote:Hi Sam,

a) Will this clear the internal partitions and free the AppleTV to use the full 40GB or 120GB?

b) Can this be used on AppleTVs regardless of their current state? (working XBMC install, botched XBMC install, Factory-default)?

Thanks!

a) Yes. It will use the full size of your HDD be it the 40GB model, 160gb model or a custom sized HDD.
b) Yes.

dnguyen77 Wrote:Hi Sam,

I am using a USB stick to run this setup. During the installation the screen went blank for a while so I rebooted ATV now when it boot up it asking me to login. How am I going to input the username / password since the usb stick already in the usb slot.

You shouldn't have to do this. Try reimage the USB and see if the error persists.

Observer Wrote:Sam This looks like a cool solution for us non linux experts.

The corollary of @Slagfar's question a above:

c) Will this setup have the option to preserve existing Apple TV partitions, by reducing the size of the media partition ?

Additionally:

d) Are there any plans for an OSX based installer for us Mac folks that don't have a windows box ?

e) Will it set up the environment to support dual boot (hopefully via boot menu) so one can beet between Linux and the Default Apple TV OS, and not need to have a USB stick/disk plugged in to get to the Linux distro.

f) To make is more AppleTV like, will its also include and AFP Server, and perhaps even support AirPlay

Very Cool ! Thanks for dedicating your time to this ! Cool

c) No. You can easily backup with dd and gzip however.
d) No. I have developed a Linux and Windows installer - giving users a breadth of options. Theoretically, with patched parted and zenity the script would work on OS X.
e) No it will not. Doing so would either require redistribution of Apple's frontrow os (which is not legal), or severe modification to the partitioning layout (not every users wants this)
f) You can add AFP but AirPlay I do not think so -- I already answered this on my blog however.

Bagheera Wrote:I was looking forward to see this thread - even made a twitter acc to follow you on this Wink

As you mentioned I am one of these guys who run xbmc on OS X, because I have no clue about linux. My knowledge is restricted on google / search this forum - and honestly most of the guides and hints just needs at least basic linux knowledge. Im looking forward to run linux xbmc on my aTV!!

For sure I will be one of the supporter via donation Wink

/I got one question: does your image support a USB hard drive (either with USB stick image & USB hub or install on the internal hard drive)?

The system can work with the internal hard drive. To use a USB hard drive however, just plug the USB hdd in your system and restore it using the USB Image. This will work fine provided that the internal drive is still installed - else com.apple.boot.plist's references will need to be changed to /dev/sda.

If you do decide to donate, that's great.I have put a considerable amount of work into this and donations only encourage me to support the project.

Paulkai Wrote:I have left a message on sams blog. What am I missing, I have downloaded the file which create a disc image anybody give me a few pointers

Paul

See blog reply.

automated Wrote:Are there any performance issues running off a USB drive vs the internal drive?

Is there any documentation for this? Im running atv with crystal hd card and would like to switch to the linux build but I'm really not sure how to go about it.

USB is much slower than the internal drive. Not to mention, you are wasting space inside the device.

There is a Ubuntu FAQ here: http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for-atv/docs/ubuntu.htm. You'll have to save it to your PC before opening it as SVN does not have mime types for this document.

Bagheera Wrote:@Paulkai
i used the files in this link Windows Installer

Well I created a USB stick with it (boot from USB); first boot on aTV went well. It took some time, but XBMC started. I only had one issue: No Sound via HDMI.

After that i tried to reboot the aTV (unplug it). This time XBMC didn't start - an error occurred.
I created a new USB Stick = same error.

Since I have no clue how to describe it, i just took a picture Wink

Can anyone help on this?

/i used Win7 Usb Drives with 4gb & 8gb

The fact that it worked initially but does not work now suggests some corruption of some kind. Your screenshot however shows the aTV's inability to communicate with the update server -- perhaps it was down? I have had high traffic since I released these images. Personally I would try start Apple TV and verify that my network cable is plugged in (it requires a network connection to start properly), and if that failed, I would try reimage the HDD with the IDE Installer image.

Hope this clears some things up!

moonwalker Wrote:I have the same problem on an allready running crystallbuntu system! Never had any problems with booting.
Since a couple of days (I don't know exactly how many) I get the same screen as mentioned above.Sad

Are you able to get the file manually?

wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for-atv/scripts/hardy/init/sync.sh

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Are you able to get the file manually?

wget http://svn.stmlabs.com/svn/crystalhd-for-atv/scripts/hardy/init/sync.sh

No, can not get the file manually!
Get the following response:
"Resolving svn.stmlabs.com... 87.106.100.246
Connecting to svn.stmlabs.com|87.106.100.246|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
ERROR 404: Not Found."

- Paulkai - 2011-03-30

Managed to finally install image on USB then I plugged it in to atv (openelec was on this ) I have used the cf to ide adaptor with an 8gb flash card worked ok with openelec but wanted to try sams, everything went fine told me to unplug the USB then reboot atv I did this but now all I get is a an atv image with a question Mark above it, any ideas??

Paul

moonwalker Wrote:No, can not get the file manually!
Get the following response:
"Resolving svn.stmlabs.com... 87.106.100.246
Connecting to svn.stmlabs.com|87.106.100.246|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
ERROR 404: Not Found."

Well this is the problem. No or limited network connectivity.You can edit network settings in /etc/network/interfaces and DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, though you shouldn't have to do so.

Paulkai Wrote:Managed to finally install image on USB then I plugged it in to atv (openelec was on this ) I have used the cf to ide adaptor with an 8gb flash card worked ok with openelec but wanted to try sams, everything went fine told me to unplug the USB then reboot atv I did this but now all I get is a an atv image with a question Mark above it, any ideas??

Paul

Partitioning has not worked correctly -- try again, perhaps this is an error that has occured as a result of using a CF card

- g00f - 2011-03-30

Same issue for me last night with windows hard drive install. After complete installation then reboot, the atv just shows the "?" hard drive symbol. This is with a 16GB Kingston USB stick as installation media.

I tried again, with same result, so next time after the install was completed, I SSH'd in and tried to run the "./crystalhd.sh" command... but it gave errors, or wouldnt allow me to do it because I wasnt admin, so then tried "su -" for admin access but it wouldnt work with "atv" PW....

Thats the total extent of my linux knowledge, so i dont know anything more for troubleshooting....sorry.

g

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Well this is the problem. No or limited network connectivity.You can edit network settings in /etc/network/interfaces and DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, though you shouldn't have to do so.

Sam, I've managed to get it going again!
I still was able to ssh into my atv. I manually made the file "sync.sh" and copy/paste the scripttext into it. Then "bash sync.sh" and all worked again!Big Grin

Thank you for your response!!

- dnguyen77 - 2011-03-30

automated Wrote:Are there any performance issues running off a USB drive vs the internal drive?

Is there any documentation for this? Im running atv with crystal hd card and would like to switch to the linux build but I'm really not sure how to go about it.

I initialy running this off the USB stick and the interface seem to be slow. I then try to run it off the internal hard drive it seem to be much smoother. This also free up the USB port which I can use to plug in my USB keyboard and mouse from time to time.

Great work SAM

- Bagheera - 2011-03-30

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Well this is the problem. No or limited network connectivity.You can edit network settings in /etc/network/interfaces and DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, though you shouldn't have to do so.

well ... how do i do that? Sry for the stupid questions, but as mentioned Im a linux noob Wink

tried to ssh into the atv but cant establish an connection :/

- Worfje - 2011-03-30

Sam, indeed great work! :cool2:

I used the windows installer, selected ubuntu 8.0.4, installation method 'USB Drive' and installed to a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB.

I forgot about the network connection, but after installing the cable and retrying, it worked like a charm! Wink

Now I will replace the original hard drive with a new one and try the installation method 'Internal Hard Drive'. I'll keep you posted.

Depending on how well this succeeds I will adjust the height of my future donation. Smile

- dc297spec - 2011-03-30

Ive been able to install the software onto the usb stick and it works fine but im unsure how i get it from the usb stick to the internal HDD. Can anyone assist?

Thanks

- Worfje - 2011-03-30

Sam, I noticed that installing it for a second time to the USB stick, it again downloaded the ubuntu image of around 500MB.

Maybe an optimization for a next version of the windows installer? If already downloaded, skip download?