Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- thnmnt - 2011-05-02

Hudson Hawk - just out of curiousity. Are you borrowing someone else's sig file?
Wink

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-02

signature file? you lost me...its been a stressful few weeks for me and its all hitting at once.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-02

I think he's saying that for a guy who says the best way of learning is by doing, you sure do ask a lot of questions. There's no harm in that but honestly, you should try things before asking if they work (i.e. you weren't sure if your remote would work with your aTV, yet you only had to try it on a 4GB USB which you could easily erase if you had no success).

I'll make this clear -- the very last time Smile

Code:
echo "atv" | sudo -s
nano /root/.asoundrc

Copy and paste

Code:
pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
pcm "plughw:0,3"
}
}

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-03

I want to thank you all for your help regarding my issue. I would also like to apologize if i ruffled any feathers. The fact is that I was flying blind in regards to this, I did not know where to start from and was not fully understanding what you all were telling me to try hence asking questions now that i have seen the commands needed i have used them and for me this has been chalked up to a learning experience and again thanks to all.

- thnmnt - 2011-05-03

Well I'm trying to decide whether to do round 3 of this install.

The first time, I followed the instructions on the screen and unplugged the USB stick before rebooting. It appeared that everything worked, except I couldn't add sources via the browse SMB function. (I've got another atv/linux based on pin87a's image that browses the SMB shares fine). I attempted to create the SMB shares via the sources.xml but although they showed up under video->files, I could not browse the shares. Weather worked fine so I had connectivity and I could ping internal and external address from the shell.

The second time I did this I didn't download a new installer onto the USB (was this my problem?) I simply re-inserted the USB and went through the re-imaging process. 2 hours later I'm staring at a blinking question mark. I thought this was fixed but I guess not.

Unfortunately, when everything is automated there's not much for me to do but cross my fingers before starting this multi hour process. So...my questions are:

1. should I re-download the installer before each installation?
2. at the end, do I unplug the POWER first or unplug the USB first? It is very unclear.

anything else I should know? The instructions seem fine once you've got a working system but I wouldn't know that yet.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-03

thnmnt Wrote:Well I'm trying to decide whether to do round 3 of this install.

The first time, I followed the instructions on the screen and unplugged the USB stick before rebooting. It appeared that everything worked, except I couldn't add sources via the browse SMB function. (I've got another atv/linux based on pin87a's image that browses the SMB shares fine). I attempted to create the SMB shares via the sources.xml but although they showed up under video->files, I could not browse the shares. Weather worked fine so I had connectivity and I could ping internal and external address from the shell.

The second time I did this I didn't download a new installer onto the USB (was this my problem?) I simply re-inserted the USB and went through the re-imaging process. 2 hours later I'm staring at a blinking question mark. I thought this was fixed but I guess not.

Unfortunately, when everything is automated there's not much for me to do but cross my fingers before starting this multi hour process. So...my questions are:

1. should I re-download the installer before each installation?
2. at the end, do I unplug the POWER first or unplug the USB first? It is very unclear.

anything else I should know? The instructions seem fine once you've got a working system but I wouldn't know that yet.

There is a very slight chance users do not get an atvrecv flag on their Recovery partitions, it usually clears up after the first failed attempt. Remove USB (ignore mount errors), off and then on after 5 secs. No need to redownload installer.

If you can't browse via SMB it's likely because:
  • You are using DNS names -- use IPs instead
  • You have view permissions to high at $

Just copy sources.xml off pin87a's old image or use the wiki to learn how to format sources.xml

- thnmnt - 2011-05-03

Thanks Sam, I'll give it another go. Just to clarify, does your image support browsing SMB shares from within XBMC? i.e. I click on Add source > SMB shares > HOME (my share name) and then the shared drives? This is how I had done it form pin87's image.

Also, I copied the sources.xml precisely from pin's image to yours (which should work perfectly since they're on the same network/workgroup etc) but it didn't work.

Regarding the view permissions - is $ meant to mean 'server'? I can't see how pin87's image would have no trouble browsing shares on the same server.

Anyway, I'm game for another try - I'll keep you posted and maybe make some suggestions to the manual to clear things up for others if I get it working!

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-04

thnmnt Wrote:Thanks Sam, I'll give it another go. Just to clarify, does your image support browsing SMB shares from within XBMC? i.e. I click on Add source > SMB shares > HOME (my share name) and then the shared drives? This is how I had done it form pin87's image.

Also, I copied the sources.xml precisely from pin's image to yours (which should work perfectly since they're on the same network/workgroup etc) but it didn't work.

Regarding the view permissions - is $ meant to mean 'server'? I can't see how pin87's image would have no trouble browsing shares on the same server.

Anyway, I'm game for another try - I'll keep you posted and maybe make some suggestions to the manual to clear things up for others if I get it working!

$ means the hidden share, i.e. $c in WS Active Directory administered domains. If you copied sources.xml precisely, it should work. Unfortunately SMB browsing Windows shares from *nix has always been iffy personally -- but fine in Windows. It means either:
  • problem with lib-smbclient
  • bad implementation in XBMC (not certain this is the case)
  • Bad interoperability between Linux and Windows (likely)

Nevertheless, I wrote a sources.xml and it works on any machine. Forget SMB browsing, it is very trivial to append \\server\share\folder @user:pass

- weejo11 - 2011-05-04

Hi Sam, a newbie here. After reading the entire thread and after trying 2 USBs, Ive finally accomplished the task of installing your masterpiece in my appletv (via USB not internal drive). Ive added a source via Windows Network (SMB) and specified a video folder in my drive connected via Airport extreme. All is working fine, I can play 720p videos in my smb/external drive. Then the ATV crashed and I tried to reboot it. The folder that Ive added is still working and I can view all videos and play it. But when I tried to add a source again and choose Windows Network (smb), its now getting an "error 2Confusedhare not available". But still, the initial source (my video folder in my SMB/external drive) is still working. Kind of puzzling. Maybe you can shed some light. Thanks

Is the Windows network (smb) a hit or miss thing?

- thnmnt - 2011-05-04

3rd time was the charm for me -

I copied the sources.xml again from my pin87 install but substituted the IP for the DNS name and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure why it's better this way as browsing for shares from the gui is really convenient sometimes but the point is it's all working now so cheers for that.

I'm a bit confused about having 2 userdata locations though. I have one at /root/.xbmc/temp and one at /usr/share/xbmc/userdata. Do I need both? Is one of these locations not used at all?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to get my advancedsettings.xml file loaded (basically just for DDS fanart) and I don't think it's working. at least according to My XBMC.log

I currently have it in /root/.xbmc/userdata

I have my RssFeeds.xml there also which I've edited and that shows up so I'm confused as to why advancedsettings isn't working.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll continue poking around.

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-04

at the moment I am having issues with permissions and creating files. right now I am trying to copy files to my home directory. is atv:atv the root user and password? At the moment I can only manipulate files that I have created inside directories I have created, as it stands right now I cannot change permissions of directories or files that originated upon install. When attempted creation of files I created placed in previously existing directories. no luck with the target dir being /home and using echo file.txt or using the touch command I get the following: touch: cannot touch 'file.txt' permission denied

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-05-04

thnmnt Wrote:3rd time was the charm for me -

I copied the sources.xml again from my pin87 install but substituted the IP for the DNS name and that seemed to do the trick. Not sure why it's better this way as browsing for shares from the gui is really convenient sometimes but the point is it's all working now so cheers for that.

I'm a bit confused about having 2 userdata locations though. I have one at /root/.xbmc/temp and one at /usr/share/xbmc/userdata. Do I need both? Is one of these locations not used at all?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to get my advancedsettings.xml file loaded (basically just for DDS fanart) and I don't think it's working. at least according to My XBMC.log

I currently have it in /root/.xbmc/userdata

I have my RssFeeds.xml there also which I've edited and that shows up so I'm confused as to why advancedsettings isn't working.

Anyway, thanks for the help and I'll continue poking around.

Use the /usr/share one.

Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:at the moment I am having issues with permissions and creating files. right now I am trying to copy files to my home directory. is atv:atv the root user and password? At the moment I can only manipulate files that I have created inside directories I have created, as it stands right now I cannot change permissions of directories or files that originated upon install. When attempted creation of files I created placed in previously existing directories. no luck with the target dir being /home and using echo file.txt or using the touch command I get the following: touch: cannot touch 'file.txt' permission denied

No. Ubuntu doesn't enable root. If you want root, type

Code:
echo atv | sudo passwd root

enter your desired password and now you can login as root via SSH. But its better to just use sudo prefix in front of a command when you need elevated privileges.

- thnmnt - 2011-05-05

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Use the /usr/share one.

Tried that but I finally had luck putting advancedsettings.xml in /root/.xbmc/userdata AND removing the cleanonupdate section you recommend in the manual. With just the DDS entry in the file it works fine (at least for me!)

also, if anyone is interested in having menu-hold bringing up the OSD and direction-up skipping 10min etc.. I created the file joystick.AppleRemote.xml in /root/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps and copied the contents from here

- weejo11 - 2011-05-06

Hi Sam, a newbie here. After reading the entire thread and after trying 2 USBs, Ive finally accomplished the task of installing your masterpiece in my appletv (via USB not internal drive). Ive added a source via Windows Network (SMB) and specified a video folder in my drive connected via Airport extreme. All is working fine, I can play 720p videos in my smb/external drive. Then the ATV crashed and I tried to reboot it. The folder that Ive added is still working and I can view all videos and play it. But when I tried to add a source again and choose Windows Network (smb), its now getting an "error 2Confusedhare not available". But still, the initial source (my video folder in my SMB/external drive) is still working. Kind of puzzling. Maybe you can shed some light. Thanks

- Hudson_Hawk04 - 2011-05-06

weejo11 Wrote:Hi Sam, a newbie here. After reading the entire thread and after trying 2 USBs, Ive finally accomplished the task of installing your masterpiece in my appletv (via USB not internal drive). Ive added a source via Windows Network (SMB) and specified a video folder in my drive connected via Airport extreme. All is working fine, I can play 720p videos in my smb/external drive. Then the ATV crashed and I tried to reboot it. The folder that Ive added is still working and I can view all videos and play it. But when I tried to add a source again and choose Windows Network (smb), its now getting an "error 2Confusedhare not available". But still, the initial source (my video folder in my SMB/external drive) is still working. Kind of puzzling. Maybe you can shed some light. Thanks

can you please post a complete debug log and crashfile?