Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-02

h2sammo Wrote:is there a way to select what crystalhd driver or xbmc revision i use? from reading in the xbmc forums and from reading http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-osx/updates/list it seems as if the latest crystalhd driver revision uses 16 DMA when it has been shown that 8 DMA works best for the low mem atv has.

also, i read in the forums davilla advises crystalhd revision 156 for xbmc 10.1 when using the first generation BCM video decoder (like I am).

Latest CrystalHD uses 8 DMA buffers (I check out the latest STABLE revision from Davilla's SVN and compile)

fodos Wrote:You are right Sam, but not that is the problem. I have 24 (23,976) FPS and 25 FPS videos. The best setting to playback smoothly all would be the "automatic refresh rate change to the video fps", I think that is what you said. But in that setting, when the system tries change the refresh rate, the system crashes often (not all time). The effect is the same when I try to change the refresh rate manualy.
Do you think it is a configuration problem?

It works fine. Every time with my Onkyo amp and hdmi passthrough -- there is a noticeable flicker at the start however.

Paulkai Wrote:Figured out most thing what I would like to do now is transfer my movie files to atv is this easy to do??
Yep, either over SFTP which is slow or an FTP server.

bass63 Wrote:It is a known bug of HDMI handshake with ancient nVidia drivers used in the image. You can update them, but you will loose HDMI audio (not working in other versions). I got this bug WITH EVERY TV I OWN (Sharp, Samsung and Panasonic)

I use this command to update drivers and can confirm they're working fine (though it's not latest version)

ps aux|grep -v grep|grep -i xbmc.bin|awk '{print $2}'|xargs kill -9
sudo wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/256.25/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25.run
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.25.run

People also suggest changing modes in xorg.conf, but I couldn't figure it out.

But there's a quick and dirty temporary solution to a problem - just turn your TV off and on, or replug HDMI cable every time you got that black screen. Changing inputs works too on some TVs. System is not crashing, just freezing when changing refresh rates.

Not sure updating drivers will fix the problem.

bass63 Wrote:OK, just tried a new image.
First thing - exit and restart DO NOT WORK. System hangs or shutting down. Can I somehow fix it myself, Sam? Thanks!

Yeah -- I omitted this functionality intentionally incase people wanted to access a TTY session -- see manual to make changes

ajayrockrock Wrote:I just hacked up the /home/atv/scripts/crystalUpdater.sh script and made "downgradeCrystal.sh". All it does is checkout revision 170 from the trunk instead of the release version. You should also disable the updates so it the driver doesn't get upgraded the next time you reboot.

NOTE: I just did this and ran it in the hopes that it solves my crashing issues. (it didn't, the search goes on...)

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#get current SVN tag if updating
CurrTag=trunk
echo Checking out latest tag
mkdir chd
cd chd
svn checkout -r 170 http://crystalhd-for-osx.googlecode.com/svn/"$CurrTag"
echo Compiling lib
cd "$CurrTag"/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install
echo Compiling driver
cd ../../driver/linux
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe crystalhd
cd /home/atv
echo Cleaning up directory
sudo rm -rf /home/atv/scripts/chd

Why are you checking out r170? I have configured the script to checkout the version considered most stable. Do you have significant evidence to suggest r170 is more stable? Also: if you are modifying the script, be careful, as it will probably be called every time as it is not the latest version, therefore, you'll be wasting time compiling every boot

I won't support any problems occurring from these changes

pmcd Wrote:Hmm... this doesn't seem to be working out. I have tried several times with different media. I plug the usb hd (sdc) in a hub along with the bootable flash drive (sdb) created by the script. The ATV boots, updates happen on the sdb flash drive but the sdc drive (the hard drive I eventually want to boot the ATV) isn't touched. The flash drive boots the ATV just fine and XBMC has been updated and everything works great. But it doesn't seem to be restoring to the sdc drive.

philip

No. That won't work, sorry. You need to make sure that /dev/sda is the device you want to image and /dev/sdb is source. But why you are doing it this way I don't know? Just restore to the USB HDD within the Installer directly rather than going Installer > Flash Drive > USB HDD

Hope this clears stuff up

- funkdr_1999 - 2011-04-02

Worfje Wrote:I had the same problem. First unplug the power card and then remove the usb stick.
For me this fixed the problem.

I guess it's that simple! Thanks a lot for the quick reply. This distribution is working great. I guess all 5 times of installing onto the HDD, I had pulled the USB stick out first prior to unplugging. Hope this helps others and I feel dumb it was something that simple.

The system must initialise with USB from the earliest instance of startup.

- steve1977 - 2011-04-02

First of all, thanks a lot. This appears really cool!!!

How long is it taking for you to download the image through the installer? How big is it? I am already downloading for 3 hours or so (via 2Mbit connection).

Image is 400-500MB depending on choices made. Server has a 100Mbit connection.

- bass63 - 2011-04-02

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Not sure updating drivers will fix the problem.

It does. I have 2 AppleTVs and 3 TV-sets - all the last year models from different vendors. That refresh rate change bug exists on EVERY installation with EVERY image (even first one) on EVERY TV i own. Updating drivers fixes the bug.

I'm really curious, Sam what kind of TV or connection you're using?

And by the way - you keep refering to the "manual" in your posts, but it is almost impossible to find it - you doesn't include it in readme.txt, you have no links to it in your blog and I had to google really hard to find it using your quotes as references Wink Just post the link to it somewhere, it may reduce volume of questions that already has been answered.

bass63 Wrote:It does. I have 2 AppleTVs and 3 TV-sets - all the last year models from different vendors. That refresh rate change bug exists on EVERY installation with EVERY image (even first one) on EVERY TV i own. Updating drivers fixes the bug.

I'm really curious, Sam what kind of TV or connection you're using?

And by the way - you keep refering to the "manual" in your posts, but it is almost impossible to find it - you doesn't include it in readme.txt, you have no links to it in your blog and I had to google really hard to find it using your quotes as references Wink Just post the link to it somewhere, it may reduce volume of questions that already has been answered.

Hi,

I'm running HDMI passthrough on an Onkyo amp. No refresh rate issues here, sound passes through fine.

Second. I have put a link to my manual up twice in the last 5 posts! It is on SVN, and I said save the file and open it (to avoid MIME type issues). It is also on the project page of my blog -- it says "See documentation here" with a link to SVN.

EDIT: Here is a link for documentation. I have amended the original thread. http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/ubuntu/hardy/ubuntu.html

- diegoap - 2011-04-02

Flawless install. Thanks !!!!! Smile

Good to hear

Media folder - quincer - 2011-04-02

First, thanks Sam for the great and easy image. I just got it installed with minimal knowledge of linux. But I was wondering about getting media files on the atv. Is there an easy way to copy files to the atv?

- pmcd - 2011-04-03

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:No. That won't work, sorry. You need to make sure that /dev/sda is the device you want to image and /dev/sdb is source. But why you are doing it this way I don't know? Just restore to the USB HDD within the Installer directly rather than going Installer > Flash Drive > USB HDD

Hope this clears stuff up

Sorry to be picky here, but if you do Installer--> USB HDD you end up with a 4 gig hard drive which does not occupy the whole drive ( unless one manually uses parted, etc... and that does work fine). What I am saying is that installer-->USB HDD processes a 4 gig hard drive which works perfectly well but the expansion to the whole drive doesn't happen automatically. At least it doesn't for me. It isn't hard to expand the 3rd partition to fill out the drive but the script doesn't seem to do it unless you are saying it will do it once that HDD boots up the ATV.

The reason I am going the external route is just to make sure things work fine before wiping the internal drive. So far, using an external USB HHD ( actually an SSD) the performance of your install is fantastic at 1080p. It's given my ATV a whole new character. However I did have to manually resize the 3rd partition Smile. Certainly well worth a donation ... ( forthcoming).

philip

- defiler - 2011-04-03

Hey, Sam. Glad to see your clock is still about 2 days ahead of mine. You released your original Ubuntu image 2 days before I resolved to set into doing my own, and here you are again two days before I decide I really need to reinstall!

Well, glad as I am to see you've got this out the door, I'm also having the flashing question mark issue. It's sitting there just now with the LED on the front flashing amber/off/white/off...

Tried removing the USB stick before and after the restart. Tried SSHing into it and halting the box before removing the USB stick. Nothing there seems to be working. I've tried installing it a half-dozen times, and also tried creating the patchstick twice. The USB stick is 16GB, so no problems there...

Any good ideas? Right now I'm creating the live patchstick to get my ATV running again. I may just get lazy and DD it onto the internal drive. And if I can be bothered I'll expand the partition table from there. (I don't need the space - my database is now on mysql, and my thumbnails are on an NFS export, both on my server...)

Update:

I've got it running directly from the USB drive. I may just transfer that across to the HDD rather than doing the whole reinstall again and again... However I can't get BluRay rips with VC-1 encoding to work. It just flickers between the menu screen and a black screen. Umm - help?!

Another update:

I see this problem has arisen with someone using a CF card. I'm using the stock 40GB drive that shipped with the ATV.

- steve1977 - 2011-04-03

pmcd Wrote:Sorry to be picky here, but if you do Installer--> USB HDD you end up with a 4 gig hard drive which does not occupy the whole drive ( unless one manually uses parted, etc... and that does work fine). What I am saying is that installer-->USB HDD processes a 4 gig hard drive which works perfectly well but the expansion to the whole drive doesn't happen automatically.

Good to know. Can you please help post a step-by-step guide how to manually increase the internal used HD from 4 to 40GB. Thanks, very much appreciated!

- steve1977 - 2011-04-03

I just completed installing with the installer directly to HD. After unplugging the USB, it continued installing and it looked that everything played out. However, I only receive a back-screen in the end. My guess is that this is due to me not using HDMI-video, but Component. Any thoughts how I can get it working with Component-out? Thanks!

- pmcd - 2011-04-03

steve1977 Wrote:Good to know. Can you please help post a step-by-step guide how to manually increase the internal used HD from 4 to 40GB. Thanks, very much appreciated!

Sam's process will produce an install that uses the whole internal drive. It does the expansion. I am talking about something different, which is to keep osx on the internal and produce a usb HDD which will boot into xbmc. It is this latter process which appears to require a manual expansion. The procedure I used is outlined in another post of mine not in this thread.

philip