Kodi Community Forum
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux) (/showthread.php?tid=97949)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Using Component Output - defiler - 2011-04-03

steve1977 Wrote:Any thoughts how I can get it working with Component-out? Thanks!

I'm sure I saw this mentioned earlier on the thread, but I can't find it so here's the bottom line. You need to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I'm using a component screen at 720p, and this is the "Screen" section of my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
    Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
    Option         "TVStandard" "HD720p"
    Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "NoLogo" "True"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Tweak the TVStandard and Modes to suit, but I've not deviated from this so I can assure you that it works.

- fodos - 2011-04-03

bass63 Wrote:It is a known bug of HDMI handshake with ancient nVidia drivers used in the image.
But there's a quick and dirty temporary solution to a problem - just turn your TV off and on, or replug HDMI cable every time you got that black screen. Changing inputs works too on some TVs. System is not crashing, just freezing when changing refresh rates.
Yes, the TV turning off and on works for me too, thanks! Not nice but effective solution.

- steve1977 - 2011-04-03

defiler Wrote:I'm sure I saw this mentioned earlier on the thread, but I can't find it so here's the bottom line.

Thanks for your help. You are right, it has been covered in one thread and I even used it earlier to tweak my settings. Just couldnt find it anymore. Now, it is working!!!

One very stupid question: can someone remind what the code is to set the ATV IP to a fixed IP?

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

- thermobaric - 2011-04-03

Sam, thank you.

- chris_b - 2011-04-03

steve1977 Wrote:One very stupid question: can someone remind what the code is to set the ATV IP to a fixed IP?

This is something you will need to set in your router. Somewhere in your router's configuration menus there should be an option to assign static IP's to your devices. You just need to identify your ATV, probably by MAC address.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-03

pmcd Wrote:Sorry to be picky here, but if you do Installer--> USB HDD you end up with a 4 gig hard drive which does not occupy the whole drive ( unless one manually uses parted, etc... and that does work fine). What I am saying is that installer-->USB HDD processes a 4 gig hard drive which works perfectly well but the expansion to the whole drive doesn't happen automatically. At least it doesn't for me. It isn't hard to expand the 3rd partition to fill out the drive but the script doesn't seem to do it unless you are saying it will do it once that HDD boots up the ATV.

The reason I am going the external route is just to make sure things work fine before wiping the internal drive. So far, using an external USB HHD ( actually an SSD) the performance of your install is fantastic at 1080p. It's given my ATV a whole new character. However I did have to manually resize the 3rd partition Smile. Certainly well worth a donation ... ( forthcoming).

philip

run from SSH:

e2fsck /dev/sdb3
resize2fs /dev/sdb3

The Linux installer does this when imaging the USB -- obviously Windows cannot resize these partitions, because it cannot identify them. Injecting the distro choice into the file was hard enough

steve1977 Wrote:Thanks for your help. You are right, it has been covered in one thread and I even used it earlier to tweak my settings. Just couldnt find it anymore. Now, it is working!!!

One very stupid question: can someone remind what the code is to set the ATV IP to a fixed IP?

Thanks a ton in advance!!!

Either make your router / DHCP assign a set IP address based on MAC or edit /etc/network/interfaces on your aTV.

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-03

Those that have got a blinking question mark after trying the IDE Image, I am very sorry. Please read more about what I'm doing here

- ArthurBrazil - 2011-04-03

Currently I have the blinking questions mark, waiting on update. Thanks for releasing* the great installer.

- defiler - 2011-04-03

I just DD'd the USB image onto my internal hard drive. Still only a 4GB image, but my database is on MySQL on my linux server, and my Thumbnails folder is on an NFS export on my linux server. I just need space for updates - wheee!

One issue I'm still having, though, is that any BluRay rips with VC1 encoding don't play. They just flicker between the menu screen and black, although sound plays just fine.

Should I be able to play VC1? I've not tampered with anything except setting it for component output, but that works fine with H264. I have the CrystalHD 70012 - had it about a year. I've not been able to play VC1 since SVN 28256 or something, but I just guessed I'd screwed my install at some point.

- defiler - 2011-04-04

Oh, and another thing (that's a separate issue, and something of a feature request). Is there a way to have XBMC restart as/when it crashes?

Otherwise, good job, Sam. Nice, light distro - it seems to use less RAM (and certainly uses less drive space) than my old installation on Pin's ubuntu image.

- ArthurBrazil - 2011-04-04

I tried installing again and it worked fine. XBMC booted up. I the rebooted and it took me to the text based login.

apptetv-ubuntu login:

A few lines up I get cd:14 can't cd to /home/atv/scripts

- pmcd - 2011-04-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:run from SSH:

e2fsck /dev/sdb3
resize2fs /dev/sdb3

The Linux installer does this when imaging the USB -- obviously Windows cannot resize these partitions, because it cannot identify them. Injecting the distro choice into the file was hard enough

I have always run the installer from Linux and it has never resized the USB hard drive. I see those lines in the script but the defaults for fixing the GPT table seem to be "no" so you can't have an unattended imaging. I assume if you answered Fix to the question it would work? If so, perhaps that should be the default?

Using the cli version of parted and fixing the gpt table does work with those two commands.

philip

- Sam.Nazarko - 2011-04-04

defiler Wrote:I just DD'd the USB image onto my internal hard drive. Still only a 4GB image, but my database is on MySQL on my linux server, and my Thumbnails folder is on an NFS export on my linux server. I just need space for updates - wheee!

One issue I'm still having, though, is that any BluRay rips with VC1 encoding don't play. They just flicker between the menu screen and black, although sound plays just fine.

Should I be able to play VC1? I've not tampered with anything except setting it for component output, but that works fine with H264. I have the CrystalHD 70012 - had it about a year. I've not been able to play VC1 since SVN 28256 or something, but I just guessed I'd screwed my install at some point.

VC1 is supported by the BCM 70012, but whether it works in XBMC is another story.

defiler Wrote:Oh, and another thing (that's a separate issue, and something of a feature request). Is there a way to have XBMC restart as/when it crashes?

Otherwise, good job, Sam. Nice, light distro - it seems to use less RAM (and certainly uses less drive space) than my old installation on Pin's ubuntu image.

For the Xth time Smile, to have it restart when it crashes, read the manual!

- defiler - 2011-04-04

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:VC1 is supported by the BCM 70012, but whether it works in XBMC is another story.

Okay - I've posted into the "problems with CrystalHD" thread anyway, so I'll get watching the logs and take my issues over there.

Quote:For the Xth time Smile, to have it restart when it crashes, read the manual!

Aha - touche! Annoyingly, I'd read that before I got it running so I'd forgotten again. Oops! Blush

Hmm - one of my 2-year-old twins is wandering around, triumphantly holding a big building block aloft like the Sword of Omens. Just felt I had to share that. Smile

- bigjuggler - 2011-04-05

I am enjoying this complete XBMC solution. Thanks again Sam. I tried to enabled DDS by executing the following over SSH (as recommended on your the Google Project page):

cd .xbmc\userdata
sudo touch advancedsettings.xml
[Here I get the error "no such file exists"]

Still it seems to have created the file. I then use:
sudo nano advancedsettings.xml

and edit the advancedsettings.xml to include this:

<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

All seems happy, but nothing happens. I have viewed each fanart image onscreen (which I believe should prompt XBMC to create the DDS version) but nothing happens. There is no drive activity, I cannot find any DDS fanart and it does not load in that lovely snappy way that DDS normally allows.

Does DDS work with your new image? Is there a way to check the logs or something?

Thanks again Sam.