Kodi Community Forum
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. (/showthread.php?tid=98037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. - ghostelement - 2011-03-29

Posted this in the windows specific forum too.

So, I just completed my new HTPC sandy bridge build, got XBMC loaded up and put on some movies to test it. Sad times. When DXVA2 is enabled, there is horribly pixelated video (macroblocking). I'm assuming this is an intel driver issue? Probably since this chipset is so new. The board I'm using is the ASRock H67M-ITX with a core i3 CPU. I made sure that I had the newest driver from the intel website.

Is anyone else successfully using hardware acceleration with a sandy bridge chipset?

- ghostelement - 2011-03-30

I tried playing videos with windows media player using hardware acceleration, and playback is fine. This seems like an issue between XBMC and the intel driver for dxva2.

- homewrek - 2011-03-30

Have you tried switching the render above the dxva2 option....software, auto, pixel shader?

homewrek Wrote:Have you tried switching the render above the dxva2 option....software, auto, pixel shader?

Yes, I tried all of those modes.

- homewrek - 2011-03-30

Sorry to hear that, I know the feeling.....but you are in the right place to get it solved. Things to add to your next post, so other senior members can help you.
Version of Windows?
Xbmc debug log
What type of file you tried playing?

This guy had the same problem as you and fixed it by using software as render
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1139543

- tboooe - 2011-03-30

ghostelement Wrote:Posted this in the windows specific forum too.

So, I just completed my new HTPC sandy bridge build, got XBMC loaded up and put on some movies to test it. Sad times. When DXVA2 is enabled, there is horribly pixelated video (macroblocking). I'm assuming this is an intel driver issue? Probably since this chipset is so new. The board I'm using is the ASRock H67M-ITX with a core i3 CPU. I made sure that I had the newest driver from the intel website.

Is anyone else successfully using hardware acceleration with a sandy bridge chipset?

I am planning an htpc build with the new i3-2105 when it comes out...supposedly with the i3 and i5, you dont need hardware acceleration nor a separate gpu. Does your build have a dedicated gpu? Are you running Windows or Linux?

- PatrickVogeli - 2011-03-30

I once read somewhere about how enabling smoothvideo AND dxva2 caused troubles...

However, I know what dxva2 is, but no idea about smoothvideo.

tboooe Wrote:I am planning an htpc build with the new i3-2105 when it comes out...supposedly with the i3 and i5, you dont need hardware acceleration nor a separate gpu. Does your build have a dedicated gpu? Are you running Windows or Linux?

You don't need hardware acceleration because the CPU is fast enough to decode the video, but the fact still remains that it's broken. I'm using the onboard graphics, and the OS is windows 7 ultimate x64.

- Stompp - 2011-03-31

Hmm, I'm assembling a similar build atm. Will post my findings we I have it up and running. Gonna be following this thread for I while I think Oo

- Cfishy - 2011-04-09

just came across this same issue. Sad

Hardware acceleration off = 13%-17% cpu usage and a viewable image

Hardware acceleration on = 5%-6% CPU usage and a totally unviewable image

- ghostelement - 2011-04-10

Well at least I'm not alone. I'm not sure if this needs to be fixed by intel or XBMC....

- Shike - 2011-04-10

Got the very same problem with an i3 2100T and dxva2.

The CPU isnt strong enough to run every movie, as soon as the bitrate exceeds 25Mb/s i start dropping frames. CPUutiliziation at around 55-60% and framedropping starts to occurr.

The picture looks very nice other than that though, really hope this problem will be fixed soon.

Could I have missed something somewhere since my CPU cant handle the load?

- nemek - 2011-04-10

Quote:CPUutiliziation at around 55-60% and framedropping starts to occurr.
Its cuz xbmc is using max 1 core for cpu decoding - thats why its almost impossible to use cpu for decoding (right now & with xbmc - there are other apps that can use multi-cores)

- Shike - 2011-04-10

nemek Wrote:Its cuz xbmc is using max 1 core for cpu decoding - thats why its almost impossible to use cpu for decoding (right now & with xbmc - there are other apps that can use multi-cores)

allright, thx..

So, either wait for a fix, or just return the cpu and the mobo in exchange for something that actually works Sad

- nemek - 2011-04-10

Quote:So, either wait for a fix, or just return the cpu and the mobo in exchange for something that actually works
I guess u may use external player (with MT support) together with xbmc - but have no idea how to do this so cant help you.