Kodi Community Forum
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled. (/showthread.php?tid=98037)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-08-27

RXP91 Wrote:Is anyone else having issues with randomly dropped frames on the latest nightlies using DXVA? I'm on an Ion box, never had issues in Dharma but Dharma didn't work with Web DL's which kept falling out of sync Sad

just installed nightly build (8/26)

dxva2 works on my build BUT im getting the 23.976 repeated frame bug. about every 40 seconds you get a little video hiccup (when i have debugger on it will show the fps around 23.976-24fps but when the hiccup happens, it will bump to 25fps or sometimes drop down to 23fps for one frame then be back to normal.

XBMCRocksMyBoat

what build are you running? ill download that one and see if im getting the dropped frame every 40 seconds. its kinda annoying Sad im stuck at what to do. just live with getting a repeated frame every 40 seconds or go back to using software decoding Sad Huh?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested/7

what i dont understand is that i dont have my tv refresh rate set to 24 or 23.976.HzHuh so why would i get the repeated frame?

- RXP91 - 2011-08-27

I think that's the behaviour I'm getting on all the last week builds I've tried including the August 26th one. It's frustrating because Dharma was working fine for me in everything except for Web DL rips which kept falling out of sync. I'm sadly going to have to revert back to my Popcorn Hour due to this Sad

Edit: Trying it out on my server which has a Nvida GeForce GT430 in it and I'm not getting any dropped frames at all with DXVA. Maybe it's an Ion/Sandy Bridge thing.

- lash78 - 2011-08-27

Same problem here but i can play 24p movies without judders with these settings:
vsync: disable, auto refresh rate: enable, sync to display: enable audio clock or video clock (drop/dupe audio)
Unfortunately, with vsync enabled there in no way to play perfectly in xbmc at 23.976Hz refresh rate. I hope it will be fixed.

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-08-27

RXP91 Wrote:I think that's the behaviour I'm getting on all the last week builds I've tried including the August 26th one. It's frustrating because Dharma was working fine for me in everything except for Web DL rips which kept falling out of sync. I'm sadly going to have to revert back to my Popcorn Hour due to this Sad

Edit: Trying it out on my server which has a Nvida GeForce GT430 in it and I'm not getting any dropped frames at all with DXVA. Maybe it's an Ion/Sandy Bridge thing.

Which build allowed for dxva for intel but didn't have the duplicate frame issue?

- RXP91 - 2011-08-28

Sorry don't mean to confuse, I wasn't using Sandybridge. But none of the builds work without dropping frames, that one I had was a fluke.

- DragonQ - 2011-08-28

It's a fairly well-known fact that the integrated graphics chips in Intel Core i3/i5/i7s (Clarkdale & Sandy Bridge) cannot correctly output 23.976 Hz, hence the ~40 second hiccups - it's actually outputting at 24 Hz. I'd have thought this would be a primary reason to immediately discount these chips when considering an HTPC build (unless you wanted a separate GPU)!

Perhaps you can use ReClock to run all of your 23.976p content at 24 Hz instead (you wouldn't notice such a speed-up)?

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-08-28

RXP91 Wrote:Sorry don't mean to confuse, I wasn't using Sandybridge. But none of the builds work without dropping frames, that one I had was a fluke.

Damn. Well I can only hope that the drop frame issue with xbmc's codecs not an intel issue

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-08-29

DragonQ Wrote:It's a fairly well-known fact that the integrated graphics chips in Intel Core i3/i5/i7s (Clarkdale & Sandy Bridge) cannot correctly output 23.976 Hz, hence the ~40 second hiccups - it's actually outputting at 24 Hz. I'd have thought this would be a primary reason to immediately discount these chips when considering an HTPC build (unless you wanted a separate GPU)!

Perhaps you can use ReClock to run all of your 23.976p content at 24 Hz instead (you wouldn't notice such a speed-up)?

i play my videos at my tvs default refresh rate so why do i get the 40 second hiccup? tv is set to 60 Hz.

- accountabc - 2011-08-29

DragonQ Wrote:It's a fairly well-known fact that the integrated graphics chips in Intel Core i3/i5/i7s (Clarkdale & Sandy Bridge) cannot correctly output 23.976 Hz, hence the ~40 second hiccups - it's actually outputting at 24 Hz.

Not completely true. Sandy Bridge is capable of outputting 23.98hz, which is quite close to 23,976 and should only cause a hickup every 1/0.004= 250 seconds. And since people running at 60hz have the problem too, I suspect something else is going on

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-30

Valkyrie743 Wrote:just installed nightly build (8/26)
XBMCRocksMyBoat

what build are you running? ill download that one and see if im getting the dropped frame every 40 seconds. its kinda annoying Sad im stuck at what to do. just live with getting a repeated frame every 40 seconds or go back to using software decoding Sad Huh?

I'm running the august 17th version. Did you turn off the UAC? It is supposed to make the 23.976 bug less obvious (it will be 23.98).

However, it is not ideal. When I start XBMC and play h264 (23.976) material, it plays 'perfectly' at 23.98. But after a while (say 15 mins), it plays (stable) at 23.95 and keeps at that framerate until I restart XBMC. I have to say that I don't notice any hickups. It seems smooth.

For now, I've put my discrete graphics card (Radeon HD6750) back in.

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-08-31

Addendum:

Yesterday I experienced the same behaviour with my discrete graphics card, so it seems that it might not be a problem with the Sandy Bridge, but with XBMC.

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-09-01

XBMCRocksMyBoat Wrote:Addendum:

Yesterday I experienced the same behaviour with my discrete graphics card, so it seems that it might not be a problem with the Sandy Bridge, but with XBMC.

ive tested mpc hc last night and it plqys back all my content without any repeated frame but the video quality is horrible. parts pf the movie were blocky like it was poorly encoded also cpu usage was around 12- % while xbmc would only hit 4 % max. and were talking a 26mbps 1080p file. also note that i have htt off on my cpu so its just 2 cores and 2 threads.

so im thinking its an issue with xbmc. ill test it tomorrow with my 480gtx on my gaming rig and see if the nightly build causes any issues. that will confirm an issue with xbmc and not sandy bridge

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-09-01

XBMCRocksMyBoat Wrote:Addendum:

Another addendum:
I've tried it on my ZBox HD-ND22 and it also had the same behaviour. So it still does seem to be an XBMC issue (I've used the same nightly build version).

- Valkyrie743 - 2011-09-02

well i just got done testing august 26th build on my main gaming computer (specs in sig)

tested my highest bit rate movie (around 28mbps) and did not have one single dropped or repeated frame. im using a 480gtx and the settings were set to dxva2 and dxva for both play back settings.

cool thing i also noticed is that my 480 was also hardware accelerating the main menu that runs at 60fps. i noticed this cause my msi afterburner program was running (like fraps shows fps but also gpu stats like usage) and i saw that my gpu was being worked and my cpu was at 1 to 0 %. while both playing the movie or in the menus.

so im thinking that its just a intel and lower end graphics card issue. lower end graphics like ION and low end amd stuff does not allow for some hardware acceleration and has a stripped down video engine.

an other part of me is thinking that its a codec issue though because when i tested my HTPC with MPC HC i enabled the options to show stats and the dxva was using some clear video codec of some sort? i have to go check again but it ran videos without repeated frames at the cost of higher cpu usage than it should and very poor video quality

once i get some money, i may just say screw it and buy a GT 430
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/discrete-htpc-gpus-shootout/1

here is a screen shot i took of testing. frame rate stuck at 23.98-24.00 the whole time (good 20 mintues)

- XBMCRocksMyBoat - 2011-09-02

Valkyrie743 Wrote:so im thinking that its just a intel and lower end graphics card issue. lower end graphics like ION and low end amd stuff does not allow for some hardware acceleration and has a stripped down video engine.

I don't think it is a hardware issue. The Radeon HD6750 that I've got, might be a mediocre gaming card, but it is a high level decoding card. I get the same stats as you with the Radeon in XBMC.

I'v also noticed that it has nothing to do with Mb/s. If I play the Avatar BluRay it stays perfect. While, when I play mkv's (like The vampires diary) it begins perfect, but when I recheck after a while (say 20 min). it is not perfect anymore (constant 23.95).

I get this exact behaviour on three different configs: ZBox HD-ND22 (ion), i3 with HD2000 graphics, and i3 with Radeon HD6750..

Why would it play perfect on all systems in the beginning and not after a while. The hardware certainly didn't change in the mean time. Smile

Edit: I like to add that I never got framedrops