Kodi Community Forum
NOX - an ATV like skin [BETA for testing] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: NOX - an ATV like skin [BETA for testing] (/showthread.php?tid=98060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- Shoesy - 2011-05-05

Just to answer your answers...

What screen are you experiencing this lag on? Home screen? Library?
I think it's basically when I send a lot of clicks at once to move through the menus, cursor just gets a little bit jerky - bit difficult to explain really, prolly something that may well resolve itself as the iOS builds improve.

AFAIK, ATV2 doesn't have the ability to repeat cursor movement or are you saying that you are able to hold and scroll in Confluence?
No - you're right, same behaviour in Confluence. I guess because your skin is so close to the normal ATV UI that I make the comparison with that automatically.

This happens only on ATV2, AFAIK, with fanart on?
I don't use the large fanart in background option, problem can be repeated with covers, seems ok with just small fanart.

Not sure what you have in mind. 3 dots below list?
Personal thing I guess, I just feel they might match the typeface weight a little bit more closely- although I do like their vertical alignment.

Yep, thumbs could be scaled to square size. Episode titles are added. Slots are configurable individually and you should be able to add playlist name them as you like and assign your own thumbs as log as you add them to favourites firstly (shortcuts option just below recently added)
This was just a feature suggestion really, from my own selfish point of view I'd quite like to change the slots to fill up from a smartplaylist all at once like you've done with the 'recently added' feature.

ATV2 problem.
No worries.

Red text could be replaced with other color, but what's the problem with "please wait" :-) ?
Just not feeling the progress bar- I like the spinny round one that appears. Again personal choice really.

Do you happen to have one at hand? It should be free to distribute and with unicode support.
I know that's a real difficulty and you probably know a whole lot better than I what can and can't be used, but would something like Nimbus Sans be suitable? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nimbus_Sans_L

Thanks again

- pecinko - 2011-05-05

I think it's basically when I send a lot of clicks at once to move through the menus, cursor just gets a little bit jerky - bit difficult to explain really, prolly something that may well resolve itself as the iOS builds improve.

Go to settings, first item. Press and hold down. It that what you're refering to?

I don't use the large fanart in background option, problem can be repeated with covers, seems ok with just small fanart.

I'll take a look. It seams that fadetime must be adjusted differently for ATV2.

I know that's a real difficulty and you probably know a whole lot better than I what can and can't be used, but would something like Nimbus Sans be suitable?

It's not unicode and I can't seam to find free ttf version of it. Try to overwrite supplied font with Nimbus and post your findings.

No - you're right, same behaviour in Confluence. I guess because your skin is so close to the normal ATV UI that I make the comparison with that automatically.

:-) I might change the name once more to tinyATV (This Is Not Your ATV) :p

==========================

@to ALL

On a serious note, let me make something clear. This is never going to be ATV2 replica skin. I'm clearly inspired by it's design*** and I followed it to some extent as I find it ergonomically good. Design must serve function - is my stand.

Now, that's not me saying I will not alter design or add a feature. I did implement or changed most of suggestions posted here. It's just that I need to be sure it will improve looks or ergonomics, wouldn't come with noticeable speed penalty and it would be useful to more than a one or two users.

So, post your suggestions freely but be ready to explain and prove your point.

***I think it's Moovida that came with this kind of home page layout first, before Apple, but I'm not sure and I'm lazy to search the forum.

===============

- tomwrob - 2011-05-05

Good points.

- Kiosk loses ability to fast scroll (press right and skip an entire screen) - would be nice to have this.

- Sometimes when you pause a video (maybe long films I will investigate), the video length & end time aren't aligned properly:

They should be displayed: movie length | end time

but the | divider is in the wrong place & hidden behind the numbers.

- Can amend the view option in the library, so that the video/dvd cover remains the same size after the initial load? I have large fanart in the background, and movie info below, but the cover reloads a smaller size (unnecessary - there is space for the original cover above text)

- Echoing a previous comment, if I only have one movie library (local files) under my movies tab, it seems odd to have to select the sub-menu below, couldn't the main Movies header simply be the button? I know this might be different for each user, but it is elegant & simple. The 'Movies' header should be the button.

- pecinko - 2011-05-05

@tomwrob

- Kiosk loses ability to fast scroll (press right and skip an entire screen) - would be nice to have this.

I see your point but I'll have to check with my kids first.

- Sometimes when you pause a video (maybe long films I will investigate), the video length & end time aren't aligned properly:

Fixed.

- Can amend the view option in the library, so that the video/dvd cover remains the same size after the initial load? I have large fanart in the background, and movie info below, but the cover reloads a smaller size (unnecessary - there is space for the original cover above text)

What view do you have in mind? Could you make a mockup how you would like it to look?

- Echoing a previous comment, if I only have one movie library (local files) under my movies tab, it seems odd to have to select the sub-menu below, couldn't the main Movies header simply be the button? I know this might be different for each user, but it is elegant & simple. The 'Movies' header should be the button.

Am I understanding you rightly - you Movie menu looks like Pictures - only one item?

If so, it can't be changed in a sane way. I wonder how this mixture of Aeon and Quartz menu would look like.

You could put a custom shortcut with icon of your choice above TV Shows and hide Movies altogether. ...Or add a link to your favourite plugin as a second item to Movies submenu.

- tomwrob - 2011-05-05

Big Grin

1. Check with the kids! my friends who have used the skin love it, but when I put in kiosk (to stop muppets messing with settings), we miss the fast scroll...

2. I will try to mock up a pic for you. As you scroll through the library a dvd cover is displayed to left. When you stay on an item for a few seconds, the fanart background & movie info text load, with the cover above text (slightly smaller). It might be nice to have the cover stay the same size & location?

3. Yes, my movies has one item only, so it seems odd to have to select the object below the header 'Movies'. I liked Aeon's menu to go straight to the object you want.

Maybe I will re-arrange my menus, but I like having Movies for Movies only (HD local films). TV will contain all my other options (Local file library, iPlayer, YouTube, Vimeo, IceFilms...) but I like the top level header to be the local library button.

4. Will have a final look through tonight. Still not sure I like the new media control buttons (top of screen), and the inability to go straight to video options etc from these controls. I liked the old layout with options buttons there directly.

5. Please may you implement something like Aeon has when you pause a video, the dvd cover is displayed bottom left of seek bar - looks really nice. I like the new seek bar btw Wink

- pecinko - 2011-05-05

Guys, I could use some feedback on:

1. Fanart in list+info - should I keep it delayed (better performance) or do I make it appear imediately
2. Speeding up Info in icons+info or list+info renders skin almost unusable on ATV I could leave list+info as is and make icons+info display media informations without cover animation?
3. I could hide NON info views from library and leave it only for files and such - seams nicer to me to scroll only through relevant views and we want info when in library?

Please, post your opinions.

- Baswazz - 2011-05-05

pecinko Wrote:Guys, I could use some feedback on:

1. Fanart in list+info - should I keep it delayed (better performance) or do I make it appear imediately
2. Speeding up Info in icons+info or list+info renders skin almost unusable on ATV I could leave list+info as is and make icons+info display media informations without cover animation?
3. I could hide NON info views from library and leave it only for files and such - seams nicer to me to scroll only through relevant views and we want info when in library?

Please, post your opinions.

1. That's a hard one. I think it would be nice if it does show up the same time, the poster change the the info.

2. I think it is perfect now.

3. Hmm i think it is one strong thing about this skin. Keep it in Big Grin

- Shoesy - 2011-05-05

Hey Pecinko, as we were saying...

Go to settings, first item. Press and hold down. It that what you're refering to?
No keypress repeat on my ATV, but I tried it on my mac os x box and I guess it is the same problem (selector goes down, up, then carries on down), just a bit more glitchy on ATV because of the multiple key presses

Try to overwrite supplied font with Nimbus and post your findings.
I cheated and added my own licensed Helvetica.ttf - looks beautiful, definitely keeping that here, I guess this one falls into the category of not an ATV UI clone though.

And for your more recent post-

1. Keep the performance at max.
2. I like the little zoom animation (if that's what you mean) but it's certainly not essential. I don't tend to use banners and this view looks a bit weird with my covers. (I realise this isn't much help- sorry).
3. I like to use the non-info view for top level tv shows, having the option is always cool IMO.

Cheers- hope al is going well for the next version.

- tomwrob - 2011-05-06

Keep the speed.

I went through everything last night, nothing to fix atm. Just a few suggestions on features/layout - but that's a different story

- pecinko - 2011-05-06

tomwrob Wrote:Big Grin

2. I will try to mock up a pic for you. As you scroll through the library a dvd cover is displayed to left. When you stay on an item for a few seconds, the fanart background & movie info text load, with the cover above text (slightly smaller). It might be nice to have the cover stay the same size & location?

3. Yes, my movies has one item only, so it seems odd to have to select the object below the header 'Movies'. I liked Aeon's menu to go straight to the object you want.

Maybe I will re-arrange my menus, but I like having Movies for Movies only (HD local films). TV will contain all my other options (Local file library, iPlayer, YouTube, Vimeo, IceFilms...) but I like the top level header to be the local library button.

5. Please may you implement something like Aeon has when you pause a video, the dvd cover is displayed bottom left of seek bar - looks really nice. I like the new seek bar btw Wink

2. please do
3. remove movies and add 2 custom submenu items Movies at pos 1 and Icefilms on 2nd
5. I have a few ideas but it you will need to wait a bit

- pecinko - 2011-05-06

Baswazz Wrote:1. That's a hard one. I think it would be nice if it does show up the same time, the poster change the the info.

2. I think it is perfect now.

3. Hmm i think it is one strong thing about this skin. Keep it in Big Grin

Tnx.

- pecinko - 2011-05-06

Shoesy Wrote:Hey Pecinko, as we were saying...
I cheated and added my own licensed Helvetica.ttf - looks beautiful, definitely keeping that here, I guess this one falls into the category of not an ATV UI clone though.

Hahaha It's not about tinyATV section.

I'll gladly change font to something else but it has to have unicode, look nice, be easy to read and free to use. Your (or mine) Helvetica hardly comply. But, as you see, you can have it in skin in other way:-)

If you are using posters for TVShows, goto general settings and tell Quartz you use them.

Thanks for feedback.

- pecinko - 2011-05-06

OK just changed that custom submenu items will appear above files, thus:

Movies
Recently added
In progress
Custom 1
Custom 5
Files
Library

Seams as most logical way to do it.

- tomwrob - 2011-05-06

I think Lowvetica looks quite nice, is this possible? http://www.fontspace.com/mario-arturo/lowvetica

- pecinko - 2011-05-06

tomwrob Wrote:I think Lowvetica looks quite nice, is this possible? http://www.fontspace.com/mario-arturo/lowvetica

Go try it in skin.