Kodi Community Forum
NOX - an ATV like skin [BETA for testing] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: NOX - an ATV like skin [BETA for testing] (/showthread.php?tid=98060)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

- Baswazz - 2011-04-26

Glorion Wrote:Image

A good example, as you can see, the vertical alignment of the text: <None> is not in the middle of the image.

- Glorion - 2011-04-26

It is absolutely great. I made a background myself, but yours are so great, i'm using one of them now.
I think you solved the background-changing-thing in a very good way.

Edit: The navsounds are there, my speakers had been unplugged. *facepalmingmyself*

- Japaja - 2011-04-26

Nice, but how come this second beta is not public too? Smile

- gobbledigook - 2011-04-26

pecinko Wrote:Would you like to test new release?

sure send me a link Smile

- bole5 - 2011-04-26

Hi Pecinko,

I did the initial testing on my ATV2. The skin is snappy and looks more "polished" than the nox. I am using original apple remote control that came with the unit. Now to the feedback:

1. +/- options under settings look very similar to check boxes
Example: In the Settings/Appearance/Skin I don't see a big difference between the arrows +/- (ie. Fonts) or checkbox (Show RSS news feeds). It would be better to use different shapes for different functions and maybe make checkbox square.

2. Backgrounds
You provide nice selection of backgrounds. I personally would prefer if you would also include grey/black background from the nox instead of the default grey one as I was constantly under impression that I didn't adjust the brightness on my TV correctly Smile

3. Custom shortcuts
I just can't seem to get it working. I have icefilms addon installed and added to my favorites. It is visible if I look at the list of favorites under XBMC menu.
When I try to add this addon as a shortcut on the movies:

1. I went to Settings/Quartz/Movies/Shortcuts and selected Custom
  2. Five empty slots appeared
  3. I clicked on the first slot and got to the screen where it says "Please, add items you wish to assign...". On the right hand side it only stands "List empty".
  4. If I press menu(to go back) I get to "browse for image" dialog.
  5. From that dialog if I press menu(to go back) I see the "Enter the new label" dialog
  6. Only now I can really go back by pressing Menu.
I don't see why I can't see my favorites. The same empty list is shown when I try to create shortcut in TV Series, Music or Add-ons. Also when I switch back to nox I can see and modify my shortcuts without any problems.

4. Two dots to see "parent folder items"
IMO these dots are too big. It is much nicer the way it is on the nox.

5. Main menu
I prefer the way menus are displayed in nox. The current main menu item should be highlighted IMO.

6. Dialogs with three rows
In occasions where addons use 3 rows for the custom dialogs, the last row is not correctly aligned. (Example: Do a fresh install of the icefilms addon and see the metadata containers dialog)

7. Buffering progress
Is not visible on this skin.

8. Download subtitles & viewing other options in OSD
I need to click on "..." to get to the option to download subtitles in the video OSD. I prefered the way it is on nox

As you can read, my comments are mainly cosmetic and can be attributed to "personal taste" Wink Great work!

- Baswazz - 2011-04-26

bole5 Wrote:Hi Pecinko,
5. Main menu
I prefer the way menus are displayed in nox. The current main menu item should be highlighted IMO.

I agree Big Grin

- pecinko - 2011-04-26

@bole5

Thanks for report and suggestions.

1 and 2. You might be right.
3. You are doing everything right. For some reason favourites script does not run on your ATV. I've done it manually (hacked it, would be alternate wording) in NOX and link assignment was done without any script being involved. That's nice if you have a few items and if you don't intend to support skin :-) Can you wait a bit when "list empty" is shown just to make sure we give script some time to populate list?

5. I wanted something that will look different than ATV2, but judging from the post it is probably better to revert to old design.

7. Are you sure? :-) There is no progress bar, but there should be a label (maybe too subtile) saying Buffering xy%

- tomwrob - 2011-04-27

Really really good work! Love it

1 Even after ticking 'always show clock' the clock doesn't show in main menu items other than settings (it works in submenus though)

2 the 'shortcut' option for 'recently added' doesn't seem to work for me, custom shortcuts do however work.

3 can I re-order my custom list items? I want the 'TV Shows' item to be top of TV Shows, rather than below my custom items.

4 the fanart backgrounds seem to be crossfading with the selected background? I have a light grey fade bg, which merges into the fanart.

5 I sort of like the new playback controls, but there is a error. When you pause, the total film time (eg: 02:37:49) has a vertical line through it. Please can you also add a dvd cover picture to screen when paused (I had this on a previous skin & thought it looked vv good).

6 What is the mysterious left arrow in the top left of the screen (I am ATV2 so I can't click it!)

7 Agree with previous, please make the current main menu top level selected

- bole5 - 2011-04-27

pecinko Wrote:@bole5

3. You are doing everything right. For some reason favourites script does not run on your ATV. I've done it manually (hacked it, would be alternate wording) in NOX and link assignment was done without any script being involved. That's nice if you have a few items and if you don't intend to support skin :-) Can you wait a bit when "list empty" is shown just to make sure we give script some time to populate list?

I waited more minutes without any difference. Where is that script? I could have a look and try to understand why it doesn't work on my setup.

pecinko Wrote:7. Are you sure? :-) There is no progress bar, but there should be a label (maybe too subtile) saying Buffering xy%

I checked again and I don't see the buffering progress. The progress I am talking about is similar to the one when you are watching a video on youtube and press pause. To see that in XBMC use nightly shapshot and crank up the buffer by adding following code to advancedsettings.xml:
Code:
<!-- set the memory buffer size to 0 to force CFileCache.cpp -->
        <cachemembuffersize>0</cachemembuffersize>

Now restart, go to your favorite video addon, play a video and then press pause.
You should be seeing buffering progres if you are running default Confluence skin.

- pecinko - 2011-04-27

@bole5

Thanks, I will take a look.

Script is in addons dir, it's supplied by XBMC.

- alexdzn - 2011-04-27

If anybody has problem with favorites, than delete old one file and add once favorites again, the new one file will be proper to use with any skin.

- pecinko - 2011-04-27

@s364266
Kiosk mode also disables Favourites, as my boys could invoke it by mistake, and as you have plenty of room to make links to your favourite items on Home screen...

@Baswazz
Vertical alignment: Just a quick note. List labels are not vertically centered on purpose. If you center it, text would get optically cut horizontally. Trust me, I had it centered and it was not easy to read. At first I didn't get it. I looked at Front Row, only to realize Apple moved text a few pixels down for the same reason. This is NOT me saying I won't fix other alignment problems! :-)

@Japaja
Beta2 will be available only to those willing to test and help. Their suggestions will shape up final look of the skin.

@tomwrob
Clock behavior on Home will remain as in NOX.

Recently added will work only with newer Xbmc builds. It was added roughly 10 days.

Can I re-order my custom list items? You'll have to make your own link to TVShows if you want it added to a 1st slot. Reordering of items are not available in skin engine ATM.

What is the mysterious left arrow in the top left of the screen? It's mouse/touch screen navigation button shown to you only when mouse input device is enabled in Xbmc system settings.

@s364266 Does the Kiosk mode actually have any other effects? It disables Favourites, as my boys were entering there by accident and there is plenty of room for favourite items on Home screen.

Big thanks to all for helping out with bugs and suggestions.

- Baswazz - 2011-04-27

I checked the buffering proces on my Windows 7 pc there it does work. On my xbmc live i haven't checked it yet.

- pecinko - 2011-04-27

Could somebody pull XBMC logo that's show on ATV2, or tell me how to pull it out? I thought I give it a try in Quartz.

- pecinko - 2011-04-27

bole5 Wrote:I waited more minutes without any difference. Where is that script? I could have a look and try to understand why it doesn't work on my setup.

If you copied skin instead of "install from zip", it might not pulled script dependency (../addons/script.favourites).