Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- htpcero - 2011-06-17

Robotica Wrote:SO XBMC logs tell it crashed. How does your xorg.conf/Xorg.0.log looks like? And aticonfig and glxinfo?

And I also think that it is not necessary to compile with VDPAU and ChrystalHD support. I also suggest not using PPA atm, so we all compile the same and have consitent results.

Lars' xbmc-pvr comes pre-compiled with vdpau/crystalHD supports; the HW is not present anyways and vdpau/crystalHD code is not used in my build.

I also tried XBMC GIT with only VAAPI enabled; the results are the exact same (including the crash logs).

Here's the config:

xorg.conf (this was buit by aticonfig --initial)

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
    Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    Option        "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
    Option        "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
    Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
    Monitor    "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
    DefaultDepth     24
    SubSection "Display"
        Viewport   0 0
        Depth     24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

glxinfo

glxinfo output: http://pastebin.com/jT7PCj3v

- Robotica - 2011-06-17

WytRaven Wrote:But I have not compiled xbmc yet. I'm still playing with mplayer and have no sound and -vo vaapi crashes it every time. I may just go straight for the xbmc build and then start figuring out the issues as I have no idea if the mplayer crash is it's fault or the vaapi libs at this point and I have no intention of using mplayer on this machine beyond this testing I'm doing.

Did you use the method provided in OP(bottom) to compile Mplayer?

- Robotica - 2011-06-17

Your vainfo was ok, right?

You have 2 problems:
1> How did you connect? Did you connect via HDMI?

This command gives you necessary info:
Code:
xrandr

You can check the modes detected by the kernel with:
Code:
dmesg |grep HDMI

And check EDID detection with

Code:
cat /proc/asound/card0/eld#3.0

2> no modlines in xorg. How does Xorg.0.log.old lookslike? It probably hangs also? If yes, you need a better xorg.conf.

Should be looking like this

Code:
Section "Screen"
  Identifier  "Screen0"
  Device      "Device0"
  Monitor     "HDMI2"
  DefaultDepth  24
  SubSection "Display"
    Depth       24
    Modes     "1920x1080@50p" "[email protected]" "1920x1080@24p" "1920x1080@60p"
  EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
  Identifier  "HDMI2"
  HorizSync   14.0 - 70.0
  VertRefresh 24.0 - 62.0
  Modeline    "1920x1080@24p"     74.230 1920 2560 2604 2752 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "1920x1080@50p"    148.500 1920 2448 2492 2640 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "[email protected]" 148.352 1920 1960 2016 2200 1080 1082 1088 1125 +hsync +vsync
  Modeline    "1920x1080@60p"    148.500 1920 2008 2056 2200 1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
EndSection

You can try above lines (or one of those) in your xorg.conf or read the EDID-data from you monitor/tv and manully add the modlines or don't use aticonfig switch when compiling.

For sound, probably the same problems.

In alsamixer unmute the spdif devices. Than we store this setting.
Code:
alsamixer
sudo alsactl store

- Robotica - 2011-06-17

oops

- yumz - 2011-06-17

quotaholic Wrote:Just went to install natty via unetbootin on my E35-M1. The install went fine but my sony tv gives me a no signal indication when I reboot. I used the alternate installer. The screen flickers a couple of times like it wants to show me something after a while though the standard sony check your input banner pops up. Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

Getting a similar problem after installing from the mini.iso. Ubuntu refuses to load normally and I have to mash F8 to boot into recovery mode and sometimes the screen will start to flicker or just die.

- WytRaven - 2011-06-17

yumz Wrote:Getting a similar problem after installing from the mini.iso. Ubuntu refuses to load normally and I have to mash F8 to boot into recovery mode and sometimes the screen will start to flicker or just die.

Just Alt-F1 to get to a console and you can go on from there (the mini.iso does not install GUI so you won't get to a desktop if that is what you are expecting).

- WytRaven - 2011-06-17

I have now tried disabling VA API in XBMC and sure enough I can now play videos as expected (with graceful handling of the "no audio" situation, but thats another thing altogether). So it is VA API that is the problem. However even with VA API disabled I am getting screen tearing no matter what the settings of refresh rate syncing are.

I am beginning to suspect the refresh rate stuff may have something to do with not having modelines in xorg.conf. I will have to experiment with that. Thanks to those that have recently provided some starting points for that experimentation.

As for VA API problems. I would try removing Cat 11.6 and using the repos to install whatever one is in there, as per SDM2011's suggestion, but it would appear htpcero has already tried that to no avail.

I do have one question that I would rather not have to waste energy on investigating myself right now so if someone knows the answers please speak up. I want to use the Simplicity skin with XBMC but note that when I go to "more skins" it is listed as broken. In fact there is apparently only 1 (out of 3 available) other than Confluence that can be used? Is this something weird due to being an experimental XBMC that can be worked around or is that the end of the story; i.e. no Simplicity for me.

- WytRaven - 2011-06-17

Robotica Wrote:Did you use the method provided in OP(bottom) to compile Mplayer?

Yeah those are the instructions I followed.

- WytRaven - 2011-06-17

Robotica Wrote:In alsamixer unmute the spdif devices. Than we store this setting.
Code:
alsamixer
sudo alsactl store

Thanks Robotica, that's my audio issues fixed. Enabled pass through options in xbmc and set both audio output devices to hdmi (ALSA) and audio is being perfectly passed through to my surround receiver.

So that's one xbmc problem definitively solved! Nod

- Rapoza - 2011-06-17

I also tried some things last night.

It seems that or mobo has trouble with vaapi. Seems that the driver is not getting the correct ID from the gfx card and then some segfault errors related appear.

I'm completely sure that is directly related to the link about segmentation Robotica posted yesterday.

Raven, the audio and the net problems appeared when I used your driver installation method. But I realized that where apparently caused by "lack of configurations"
Net config app showed partial traces of may before settings (mask, gateway) but the networking file was totally empty.

For the audio, if you try running a mixer prog and while your adjusting volumes, the problem goes out. I managed to crash the mixer and then the system stay with 100% volume. That seemed to me not a volume amount, but a wrong value on config files.

Those are my guesstimations. But the Robotica fix I think goes for that.

So, what I do now? What kind of installation? I think the SDM2011 method will not work if no desktop is installed.

- jbo87 - 2011-06-17

I am using a AsRock E350M1 and XBMC w/ VAAPI works if i start it out of Gnome. It crashes on playback when i choose XBMC as session on the login screen though.

Another problem is wakeup from STR. It wakes up but there is no picture on the screen. It also does not respond to a ping.

- Rapoza - 2011-06-17

jbo87 Wrote:I am using a AsRock E350M1 and XBMC w/ VAAPI works if i start it out of Gnome. It crashes on playback when i choose XBMC as session on the login screen though.

Another problem is wakeup from STR. It wakes up but there is no picture on the screen. It also does not respond to a ping.

Maverick/Natty? Kernel version?

- jbo87 - 2011-06-17

Rapoza Wrote:Maverick/Natty? Kernel version?

I am at work. Will post ASAP

ASUS E35-I DELUXE Ubuntu 11.04 (GNU/Linux 2.6.39-0-generic x86_64) - Rapoza - 2011-06-17

@jbo: No hurry needed. Wink

Currently doing a complete installation as per OP instructions. Natty cli.
Arrived to the driver installation and seen this on the debs install:

Quote:Configurando fglrx (2:8.861-0ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: utilizando /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf para proveer /etc/ld.so.conf.d/GL.conf (gl_conf) en modo automático.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Loading new fglrx-8.861 DKMS files...
First Installation: checking all kernels...
Building only for 2.6.39-0-generic
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 2.6.39-0-generic

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.39-0-generic (x86_64)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/8.861/build/ for more information.
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Procesando disparadores para ureadahead ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot

Installing GIT:

Quote:W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8105e-1.fw for module r8169

When executing 2nd DEB dependencies for xbmc build (ppa missing?):
Quote:E: No se ha podido localizar el paquete libcrystalhd-dev

./Bootstrap of xbmc on 2nd post:
Quote:configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --enable-vaapi, --enable-libbluray

Does not missing a "cd /xbmc" between post 1 and 2 after ending with bluray?

- Robotica - 2011-06-17

WytRaven Wrote:Thanks Robotica, that's my audio issues fixed. Enabled pass through options in xbmc and set both audio output devices to hdmi (ALSA) and audio is being perfectly passed through to my surround receiver.

So that's one xbmc problem definitively solved! Nod

If your checks (vainfo, glxinfo, etc) are ok, your drivers ok are but the problem is x.org

So setup X.org and you have solved another (related to video)...