Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

Now getting easy - chessplayer - 2011-08-02

Hello everybody,

yesterday, I decided to give a simple approach a go which is based on many a post in this thread and you know what: IT WORKS!

So, first of all, thanks a lot for the lively discussion and then, here are the steps I took:

1. Natty install (from mini.iso but with gnome desktop, audio, video, tone, samba, ssh)
  2. Kernel upgrade + Catalyst 11.7 (as suggested in Post 363 by Robotica)

UPDATE: You can skip the kernel update now! (see my new thread at AMD E350 Zacate with Video Acceleration -- Natty + XBMC PVR easy install

However, I need to add two things here: First, for my ASUS E35M-I board, I did not have all the firmware I needed. Therefore, I did the following
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install git
    mkdir Firmware; cd Firmware
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/romieu/linux-firmware.git
    sudo cp -r linux-firmware/rtl_nic/ /lib/firmware/
    before installing the new kernel (originally found here)

Also, as mentioned quite often, the xorg-edgers ppa must be disabled. In modification of what devil103 writes in his Post 360, you need to do
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xorg-edgers-ppa-natty.list
    and comment out the two lines (or move that file away), after which you have to
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    again.

3. xvba (vaapi) install including link to va-driver (as in Post 360 by devil103)
  4. set environment variables (as in Post 233 by wobu)
  5. XBMC + tvheadend install from Op den Kamps ppa

I am not sure whether the reason for it working is that apparently also yesterday Lars Op den Kamp uploaded a new version (odk44) to his ppa.:cool2::cool2:

And, lastly, for sound: there is a nice HowTo for getting HDMI sound in Natty to be found here. Right after doing that, XBMC worked well.

It uses vaapi when I watch "Das Erste HD" or "ZDF HD" and the CPU is hardly more engaged than for SD decoding!

Brilliant thread this! Big Grin

P.S.: Actually, later today I will do the same again on another partition but starting with the desktop CD. i expect that to go smoothly as well!

P.P.S: I should mention that I am using Sundtek DVB C/T Sticks for TV and these are just fantastic ...

P.P.P.S: :confused2: Now, what I must find out is how to get the computer to shut down properly. This must also be a driver issue, which I need to find out about :confused2:

---

Edit: I posted all the wrong links, since I did not have time to check before I went to the dentist. Will update soon ... --> done hopefully ...

- Robotica - 2011-08-02

chessplayer Wrote:Hello everybody,

yesterday, I decided to give a siple approach a go which is based on many a post in this thread and you know what: IT WORKS!

So, first of all, thanks a lot for the lively discussion and then, here are the steps I took:

1. Natty install (from mini.iso but with gnome desktop, audio, video, tone, samba, ssh)
  2. Kernel upgrade + Catalyst 11.7 (as suggested by Robotica in Post 363)
  3. xvba (vaapi) install including link to va-driver (as in Post 360)
  4. set environment variables (as in Post 233)
  5. XBMC + tvheadend install from Op den Kamps ppa

I am not sure whether the reason for it working is that apparently also yesterday Lars Op den Kamp uploaded a new version (odk44) to his ppa.

And, lastly, for sound: there is a nice HowTo for getting sound in Natty to be found here. Right after doing that, XBMC worked well.

It uses vaapi when I watch "Das Erste HD" or "ZDF HD" and the CPU is hardly more engaged than for SD decoding!

Brilliant thread this! Big Grin

P.S.: Actually, later today I will do the same again on another partition but starting with the desktop CD. i expect that to go smoothly as well!

thnx for sharing; update OP with your info. Success stories are a valuable thing overhere....

- MaRxMR - 2011-08-02

Ephon Wrote:Hi, I have an problem with this board:

Sapphire pure fusion mini E-350

I've followed the Robotica instructions in this thread and XBMC works with a PC monitor but, if I use a TV ( Panasonic ) something strange happen: I can see the bios image and GRUB but when xbmc seems to boot the tv don't display anything, black screen.
If I turn off the HTPC pressing the power button i can see the halting sequence; i've noted that the tv during the bios/GRUB sequence go 60 to 50 Hz at "random".

I use Ubuntu 11.04 x64 minimal now, but I had the same problem with the 10.04; also followed the minimal installation in the wiki and the first one in this post, but the result are the same.

I think that it is something related to the Xorg.conf, but I don't know what to do; several attempt of the " aticonfig --initial -f " haven't do "nothing".

I'll post the logs you want, tell me what to do, I'm going to be crazy. Angry

PS: Sorry for bad eng, not my language.

Thomas

I also have a Sapphire Pure AMD Fusion APU E-350 and a Panasonic Viera TC-FullHD LCD L32S20B, but does not work.

When the driver is loaded TV shows black screen. Fusion and Panasonic are not compatible with 1290x1080p@50Hz? Sad

Ps. This text was translated by Google.

- Balinus - 2011-08-02

MaRxMR Wrote:I also have a Sapphire Pure AMD Fusion APU E-350 and a Panasonic Viera TC-FullHD LCD L32S20B, but does not work.

When the driver is loaded TV shows black screen. Fusion and Panasonic are not compatible with 1290x1080p@50Hz? Sad

You could try setting manually metamodes in xorg.conf. I personally use 1920x1080@60. Just find a mode that you know is supported by your TV.

- MaRxMR - 2011-08-02

The TV supports 1290x1080p@60Hz. http://www.panasonic.com.br/ims/institucionais/Manuais/TC-L32S20B.pdf (pag. 50)

I used in Acer Aspire 1410 11.6 "

My xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "aticonfig Layout"
        Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Module"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "0-DFP1"
        Option      "VendorName" "Panasonic"
        Option      "ModelName" "TC-L32S20B"
        Modeline "[email protected]"  148.50  1920 2448 2492 2640  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline "[email protected]"  148.50  1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline "[email protected]"  148.35  1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline "[email protected]"   74.25  1920 2558 2602 2750  1080 1084 1089 1125 +hsync +vsync
        Modeline "[email protected]"   74.25  1920 2008 2052 2200  1080 1085 1095 1125 interlace +hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        Driver      "fglrx"
        Option      "Monitor-DFP1" "0-DFP1"
        BusID       "PCI:0:1:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
        Device     "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        Modes     "[email protected]" "[email protected]" "[email protected]" "[email protected]"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

But it only works if you use 1290x1080i@60Hz (1290x1080p@30Hz).

Exactly Modeline "[email protected]" 74.25 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1085 1095 1125 interlace + hsync + vsync

Modeline traveled from cat / var/log/Xorg.0.log

- Balinus - 2011-08-02

Quote:But it only works if you use 1290x1080i@60Hz (1290x1080p@30Hz).

I assume that 1290x1080 is a typo and you meant 1920x1080 (?)

I would delete all reference to modelines that you don't want to use and maybe just keep the ones at 60Hz and 24Hz (if your TV support it well, which is not the case of my Panasonic G25 -> it flickers at 24Hz).

How about ZBOX AD02 with Fusion E350? - zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-02

Hi, I need some help

I got ZBOX AD02 with Fusion E350, video acceleration didn't work though, Great discussion here, I appreciate if I can get some advise from you guys.
Here is what I did:
1- Install Ubuntu using unetbootin, choose Ubuntu 11.04_NetInstall_x64, I didn't use mini.iso because I have problem installing from USB and didn't figure out how to fix it.
2- upgrade the kernel to 3.0.0-7 according to the instructions from Robotica.
3- installed libva and xvba from .deb from splitted desktop.
4- installed (compiled) ATI 11.7 driver from instructions here.
5- there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf, I guess I use something else (Unity)
After reboot, the unity desktop looks not so good, some toolbars looks like windows ME theme almost.

If I install VLC directly from repositories or even compile it with vaapi enabled, when I reboot it says you don't have the hardware to run the unity desktop to it reverts to ubuntu classic.
and the acceleration doesn't work since VLC and Mplayer crashes once I use option --ffmpeg-hw in VLC or -va vaapi -vo vaapi in MPlayer so I guess it is not the player thing.

Here are some results before I install the VLC:
Code:
icu@icu:~$ vainfo
libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.8.0
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD

icu@icu:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.1.10907 Compatibility Profile Context

During VLC installation I get this message:
Code:
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/libva-x11.so.1', which is also in package libva1 0.32.0-1+sds2
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libva-x11-1_1.0.12-1~xorgedgers_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

then I get broken package in update manager and the system want to report the problem.

Here is what I get if I run VLC with hardware acceleration

Code:
vlc --ffmpeg-hw /media/a/The\ Lord\ of\ the\ Rings\ Blu-ray\ Extended\ Editon\ Trilogy\ Trailer\ \(HD1080\).m2ts
VLC media player 1.1.9 The Luggage (revision exported)
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_ADDRESS")
Blocked: call to unsetenv("DBUS_ACTIVATION_BUS_TYPE")
[0x7e0120] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0) for PID 256
Warning: call to srand(1312171877)
Warning: call to rand()
Blocked: call to setlocale(6, "")

(process:2809): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 1, expected 0) for PID 256
libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
Segmentation fault
icu@icu:~$

Can you tell me what am I doing wrong?

- toehser - 2011-08-02

FWIW, I'm able to get vaapi video acceleration to work on Natty on AD02 with many less steps...

- Install Natty ("alternate" "64" image, regular default install)
- Change apt / synaptic to include proposed and backports repositories
- Do a full upgrade
- Install the 11.7 driver
- Add the PPA: from rexbron (Andrew Hunder) to make xvba-va-driver work
- Install all the vaapi and valib and xvba stuff
- And the video acceleration is working.

I didn't install the 3 kernel or anything from splitted-desktop, and yet, it is working.

- MaRxMR - 2011-08-03

Balinus Wrote:I assume that 1290x1080 is a typo and you meant 1920x1080 (?)

I would delete all reference to modelines that you don't want to use and maybe just keep the ones at 60Hz and 24Hz (if your TV support it well, which is not the case of my Panasonic G25 -> it flickers at 24Hz).

Ops! It is 1920x1080.

More 30Hz gives black screen. I tried to 24Hz, and does not charge. Only works with 1920x1080i@60Hz (1920x1080p@30Hz).

- chrisk2305 - 2011-08-03

hi everybody,

i also get this output from vainfo:

Quote:libva: libva version 0.32.0
libva: User requested driver 'fglrx'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_drv_video.so
vainfo: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/fglrx/libAMDXvBA.so.1: undefined
symbol: XF86DRIOpenConnection

Kernel is 3.0.0-7 and Catalyst Version is 11.7. I did the rest like mentioned in the first post. Also after rebooting ubuntu reverts to classic login because it says the my hardware is not capable for unity.

@toehser: Could you explain exactly what you did at these two steps:
Quote:- Add the PPA: from rexbron (Andrew Hunder) to make xvba-va-driver work
- Install all the vaapi and valib and xvba stuff

Can somebody help plz?

- toehser - 2011-08-03

chrisk2305 Wrote:@toehser: Could you explain exactly what you did at these two steps:

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106635 and if it still isn't clear enough let me know...

- chrisk2305 - 2011-08-03

@toesher: Thanks for your quick reply. I am new to Ubuntu (come from the gentoo world Wink ). I already added the repository you mentionend but it's not quite clear to me how to install the bugfix. Thanks again!

- zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-03

toehser Wrote:See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106635 and if it still isn't clear enough let me know...

Thank you for the advice, I'll try today and get back with the result.

By the way, my friend says the ZBOX AD02 outperforms the ND02, according to your benchmarking, it shouldn't.
ND02 is older technology but it is better for 1080p.
Is that correct?

New thread opened to summarize current state - chessplayer - 2011-08-03

You can skip the kernel update now! (see my new thread at AMD E350 Zacate with Video Acceleration -- Natty + XBMC PVR easy install

Thanks to every contributor in this thread without which I would never have gotten to this point!

- chessplayer - 2011-08-04

zbox_ad02 Wrote:Thank you for the advice, I'll try today and get back with the result.

By the way, my friend says the ZBOX AD02 outperforms the ND02, according to your benchmarking, it shouldn't.
ND02 is older technology but it is better for 1080p.
Is that correct?

I think the point is that VDPAU (for nvidia cards) is more advanced than xvba (VAAPI implementation for Zacate). Also, the CPU on the Zacate is dual core, while the Atom D525 (is that what is used in the ND02?) is also dual core, but multi-threaded (so has virtually 4 cores) and runs at 1.8 GHz instead of 1.6 GHz like the Zacate (and the older Atoms).

Pricewise, howver, the Zacate easily outperforms the Atom+ION2 platform ...