Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- de-wolff - 2011-08-05

good tutorial,
I tried to follow it starting with a empty harddisk.
I am missing 3 things:
1) somewhere before building libbluray a "sudo apt-get install libtool" has to be done
2) somewhere before building xbmc a "sudo apt-get install autopoint" has to be done
3) I can't get libcrystalhd-dev. I tried to add several xbmc repos, but that didn't change the problem

- SplishSplash - 2011-08-06

So I was hoping to just use the pre-compiled version here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=752888&postcount=109

But it fails to install saying that it can't load installer components from the CD. Any ideas on that?

- wsnipex - 2011-08-06

do you actually have a crystalhd card? if not just disable it.

- chessplayer - 2011-08-06

sraue Wrote:OpenELEC has initial TV support in our normal images, also there are experimental images with XBMC's PVR branch.

Hi,

could you post a link to the experimental images as well please? At least the AMD Fusion image from the link in your post #415 above (which is probably what most people in this thread are interested in) does not have PVR built in (and it sports the old vertical confluence skin; personally I prefer the new horizontal one Wink )

And thanks for the OpenELEC efforts. That is definitely a very interesting project.

- zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-07

SplishSplash Wrote:So I was hoping to just use the pre-compiled version here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=752888&postcount=109

But it fails to install saying that it can't load installer components from the CD. Any ideas on that?

Yeah, same here, wasn't able to fix it yet.
Some advises to zero the USB partitions first with command "dd", and some says press tab instead of enter to let the kernel try USB when it need content from CD.
Both suggestions didn't work though.
I guess it is something with unetbootin and xbmc_live_cd.

Tell me if you get it to work.

- wsnipex - 2011-08-07

you could try to remove to "install cd/usb" from apt sources. Furthermore you might have to enable universe and multiverse repositories, I don't remember if those are enabled by default on lucid.

- chrisk2305 - 2011-08-07

Hi everybody,

i'm trying to get vaapi running since a week, but no luck yet.

Before compiling xbmc and installing the dependencies i wanted to try out mplayer with vaapi patch, but i can't get it to work:

Code:
root@htpc:~# cd mplayer-vaapi-20*
root@htpc:~/mplayer-vaapi-20110127# ./checkout-patch-build.sh
ERROR: you need VA API headers for this project

vainfo and fglrxinfo report fine. I also noticed that after installing xbmc compile depencies, vainfo reports an error, so i skipped the xbmc part in first place and wanted to try out mplayer before that.

I hope you can help! Thanks!

- wsnipex - 2011-08-07

you probably need libva-dev

- zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-07

chrisk2305 Wrote:Hi everybody,

i'm trying to get vaapi running since a week, but no luck yet.

Before compiling xbmc and installing the dependencies i wanted to try out mplayer with vaapi patch, but i can't get it to work:

Code:
root@htpc:~# cd mplayer-vaapi-20*
root@htpc:~/mplayer-vaapi-20110127# ./checkout-patch-build.sh
ERROR: you need VA API headers for this project

vainfo and fglrxinfo report fine. I also noticed that after installing xbmc compile depencies, vainfo reports an error, so i skipped the xbmc part in first place and wanted to try out mplayer before that.

I hope you can help! Thanks!

have u tried to enable Backports and Proposed repositories in synaptic then run a full update for the system?
then see my previous posts to add a ppa to install xvba-va-driver.
from there install libva without errors and compile mplayer successfuly.
whats ur hardware and os?

- zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-07

wsnipex Wrote:you could try to remove to "install cd/usb" from apt sources. Furthermore you might have to enable universe and multiverse repositories, I don't remember if those are enabled by default on lucid.

thanks for the answer, but what do you mean by disabling Install Cd Usb?
i dont have x or shell access at that stage (boot up). so how to disable usb cd install?

- chrisk2305 - 2011-08-07

zbox_ad02 Wrote:have u tried to enable Backports and Proposed repositories in synaptic then run a full update for the system?
then see my previous posts to add a ppa to install xvba-va-driver.
from there install libva without errors and compile mplayer successfuly.
whats ur hardware and os?

Hardware:
Zotac Fusion ITX (E-350)
4 GB DDR3
64gb ssd
Asus Xonar DX
Software:
Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel 3.0.0, Catalyst 11.7

i already tried the xvba-va-driver from the rexbron repo, but no luck so far. I'll install the proposed and backports upgrade an report back. Thanks a lot!

while applying the vaapi patch for mplayer I get this ouput:

checking for vaapi.....no

why can't it find vaapi? vainfo is fine...

Edit: Full update of the system with proposed and backports didn't change a thing...

- craigdabbs - 2011-08-08

i just installed xbmc-nightly from the unstable ppa for my nvidia machine and it now has both vdpau and vaapi in the settings.

Can someone else confirm that they have finally enabled vaapi?

VAAPI Enabled confirmed. - zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-08

craigdabbs Wrote:i just installed xbmc-nightly from the unstable ppa for my nvidia machine and it now has both vdpau and vaapi in the settings.

Can someone else confirm that they have finally enabled vaapi?

On ZBOX AD02 (RADION graphics) with Linux Natty, VAAPI enabled successfully.
But the performance is poor when playing Killa-sample.mkv compared to Nvidia driver with ZBOX ND22.

- zbox_ad02 - 2011-08-08

chrisk2305 Wrote:Hardware:
Zotac Fusion ITX (E-350)
4 GB DDR3
64gb ssd
Asus Xonar DX
Software:
Ubuntu 11.04, Kernel 3.0.0, Catalyst 11.7

i already tried the xvba-va-driver from the rexbron repo, but no luck so far. I'll install the proposed and backports upgrade an report back. Thanks a lot!

while applying the vaapi patch for mplayer I get this ouput:

checking for vaapi.....no

why can't it find vaapi? vainfo is fine...

Edit: Full update of the system with proposed and backports didn't change a thing...

Fresh install is a healthy start, you don't need Kernel 3. and don't need to compile anything.

Here is the steps I got from Toesher who also got it to work on ATI video card, It worked on my ZBOX AD02:

- Install Natty ("alternate" "64" image, regular default install)
- Change apt / synaptic to include proposed and backports repositories
- Do a full upgrade
- Install the 11.7 driver from this post, follow only the Catalyst part from that post.
- Add the PPA: from rexbron (Andrew Hunder) to make xvba-va-driver work:
Code:
apt-add-repository ppa:rexbron/bugfixes
- Install all the vaapi and valib and xvba stuff from this post, again, follow only the vaapi part, don't go further.
- In my case I installed VLC from normal repositories and found VAAPI working.

If you do the above, copy each command you run so we can help you getting it running.

I'll post my script here as well when I get home.
Good luck !

- FernetMenta - 2011-08-08

zbox_ad02 Wrote:On ZBOX AD02 (RADION graphics) with Linux Natty, VAAPI enabled successfully.
But the performance is poor when playing Killa-sample.mkv compared to Nvidia driver with ZBOX ND22.

Can you point me to the Killa-sample.mkv? I am working on improvements for VAAPI.