Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- Robotica - 2011-10-13

The patched libVA must be installed on the system prior to building the patched MPlayer. The libVA installation must be complete; it is not sufficient to copy the libva.so and corresponding symbolic links because the updated VA header files are required during the build of the modified MPlayer. Complete installation requires “make install” of libVA.

- Redsandro - 2011-10-13

Thanks for the pointer. They won't build or install due to files already existing with newer file names. I thought those were good. Can I just remove all packages it complains about?

Also, in stead of building, there are also .deb files in the same Splitted-Desktop directory. But same story. Can I remove the stuff with newer filenames, without breaking Xubuntu or XBMC, which works extremely nice right now?

Quote:# dpkg -i libva-dev_0.32.0-1+sds2_amd64.deb
dpkg: warning: downgrading libva-dev from 1.0.12-2 to 0.32.0-1+sds2.
(Reading database ... 226187 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libva-dev 1.0.12-2 (using libva-dev_0.32.0-1+sds2_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libva-dev ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libva-dev:
libva-dev depends on libva1 (= 0.32.0-1+sds2); however:
Version of libva1 on system is 1.0.12-2.

- Robotica - 2011-10-13

I am not sure about breaking your install... Clone it so you can play a little..

Do you have Symlink:
ln -s mplayer-vaapi /mplayer/mplayer

looks like you need to refer to libva source

And if you set the environment variable:

export LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba

before starting mplayer?

Or last option:
install a front-end for MPLayer by running the following in a terminal:
sudo apt-get install smplayer

and then changing the video out device in the SMPlayer preferences:

Options --> Preferences --> General --> Video --> Output Driver

mplayer -vo help will also get you a list of output devices

- Ragtreme - 2011-10-13

Used RedSandro's Guide from the previous page.

Had to disable vaapi in the settings to play mkvSad

Seems to run okay (not great) Anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Thanks a lot by the way, I'm a absolute Linux-Newbie.

Had to look up how to create the xbmc list, but it worked in the end.

UPDATE: 11.10 is official, maybe it's now going to be easier...

Optical or Analog out - MarsianMan - 2011-10-14

I am really excited to get the ZBox AD02 working with XBMC, but I am having some issues. So far I have been able to get HDMI audio working, but it is very static filled. My speakers are Logtiech z-680 (similar to the z-5500 I believe). the only inputs are 1 optical, 1 coax, 6ch / 2ch in. In order to get HDMI audio to the speakers, it has to go through the TV and then to the speakers, which is creating a very loud static noise.

Ideally I would like to bypass the TV by whatever means possible. I am fine with 2ch or using optical but none of the options in XBMC seem to work. I was able to get mplayer to work over analog (I had to disable Azalia in bios to get the HDMI audio working).

Is there a way to get XBMC working with non-HDMI audio? Does anyone have some suggestions? I would think Analog would be the easiest, but I would prefer optical. What kind of options are accepted by "custom" audio devices? Would it accept what I give to mplayer after -ao alsa:device=xxxx=#.#?

I have spent over 25 hours this week on getting this box running already!

- Hack_kid - 2011-10-14

Hi, ive recently made the switch to linux/xbmc-live from windows and love it. it was a pain but it got it working with one little thing.

the only way i can get xvba/vaapi to work is by using xvba 0.7.8-2 if i use 0.8.1-1 i get no picture at all when xbmc starts the screen just blinks and blinks like its trying to get a refresh rate but never does, i have tryed multiple installs and isos to base my install off of its always after the install of xvba_video_0.9.1-1.deb and a reboot that i get this. ive tryed the symbolic link thing even though it was already there fron an older install ive tryed remaking a xorg config file and i'm using the latest catyalst drivers 11.9. iibva is v 0.32. if i stay with 0.7.8 everything works.

my specs are (i know its more info then needed but..)
cpu: intel pentum d dual core e6500 2.93.ghtz
2gb dd2 800 ram
ati radeon hd 5830

now i'm always testing the git versions of xbmc so my question is this. if i dont update xvba will i start to loose compatibily with xbmc and new vaapi fixes etc? should i persue fixing this or just leave it. any ideas?

thanks

- belrik - 2011-10-14

Hack_kid Wrote:Hi, ive recently made the switch to linux/xbmc-live from windows and love it. it was a pain but it got it working with one little thing.

the only way i can get xvba/vaapi to work is by using xvba 0.7.8-2 if i use 0.8.1-1 i get no picture at all when xbmc starts the screen just blinks and blinks like its trying to get a refresh rate but never does, i have tryed multiple installs and isos to base my install off of its always after the install of xvba_video_0.9.1-1.deb and a reboot that i get this. ive tryed the symbolic link thing even though it was already there fron an older install ive tryed remaking a xorg config file and i'm using the latest catyalst drivers 11.9. iibva is v 0.32. if i stay with 0.7.8 everything works.

my specs are (i know its more info then needed but..)
cpu: intel pentum d dual core e6500 2.93.ghtz
2gb dd2 800 ram
ati radeon hd 5830

now i'm always testing the git versions of xbmc so my question is this. if i dont update xvba will i start to loose compatibily with xbmc and new vaapi fixes etc? should i persue fixing this or just leave it. any ideas?

thanks

Oyyy..... I've been running with the Ubuntu build of libva1 for ages and it works fine on my HD 4200 (with lars' PPA). Also I filed a bug to get VAAPI submitted into the Unstable branch; it seemed to have been skipped.

Hopefully once this is done all you'll need to do is run Natty or newer and add the xbmc/unstable PPA and it will JUST WORK.

Fingers crossed....

My suggestion to you at this point is to remove the splitted desktop packages and just use the ones in the Ubuntu repos. They work as long as you have a recent version of catalyst.

- MaZZly - 2011-10-15

Correction:
When logged into gnome classic xbmc runs fine
When logged into Unity/Gnome-shell , xbmc only runs fine from terminal.

also in gnome-shell after installing the catalyst drivers, the top panel is full of artifacts.
Ideas anyone?

- jazzparadigm - 2011-10-16

I'm trying to get VAAPI acceleration running on my AMD A4. Tried it before using Ubuntu 10.10; which seems too soon, most PPA's do not have packages for Oneiric yet. So I reverted to Natty, following one of the guides in this thread.

vainfo, flgrxinfo etc. all return perfectly normal values. Using the xbmc prepackaged from the opdenkamp PPA I however cannot get VAAPI running.

When playing a movie, the following message shows up in the debug log:

Code:
# grep -i vaapi xbmc.log
20:10:22 T:140404060628736 M:3278905344   ERROR: VAAPI - failed executing vaCreateContext(m_display->get() , m_config , avctx->width , avctx->height , VA_PROGRESSIVE , m_surfaces , m_surfaces_count , &m_hwaccel->context_id) at line 396 with error ffffffff:unknown libva error

Google does not tell me much about this error. Has anyone run into this before?

- Hack_kid - 2011-10-17

So in natty you don't need to add any extra repos just install libva xvba and gasping or are those included

- mystefix - 2011-10-17

i ran since yesterday the xbmc-pvr version from opdenkamp PPA on 11.10.
Everything so far is working now, except i'm not able to shutdown the system over xbmc.

I tried the steps to allow the shutdown from xbmc from the xbmc wiki
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

but i had no luck to get it work. Unfortunatly i don't find any error messages that would indicate what is wrong.
Someone meantioned that this is possible with the xbmc-live version only. I hope that is not true, because i don't want to attach a keyboard every time to shutdown the system.

Maybe some of you guys have a hint for me where i can look for to get it work ?

Used Hardware:
AMD A6 3500
Asrock A75M ITX

Used Software:
Ubuntu 11.10 (used minimal installation)
opdenkamp PPA

- Robotica - 2011-10-17

Hopefullt, soon I can test Lubuntu: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

A more minimal install of Ubuntu...

- belrik - 2011-10-18

belrik Wrote:Oyyy..... I've been running with the Ubuntu build of libva1 for ages and it works fine on my HD 4200 (with lars' PPA). Also I filed a bug to get VAAPI submitted into the Unstable branch; it seemed to have been skipped.

Hopefully once this is done all you'll need to do is run Natty or newer and add the xbmc/unstable PPA and it will JUST WORK.

Fingers crossed....

My suggestion to you at this point is to remove the splitted desktop packages and just use the ones in the Ubuntu repos. They work as long as you have a recent version of catalyst.

Changes are now in the Natty Unstable PPA. This is WAY FASTER than the version in the opdenkamp PPA, which is now around 3 months old. Use the unstable PPA. Use 11.04 or 11.10, it should work out of the box except for adding this PPA "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable"

Make sure to delete the old repo (sudo del /etc/apt/sources.list.d/<whatever you opdenkamp repo is called).

then a "sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get remove xbmc; sudo apt-get install xbmc" (your configuration and library is untouched)

Sorted. If you have problems then force install the libva1 from Oeneric.

- belrik - 2011-10-18

MaZZly Wrote:Correction:
When logged into gnome classic xbmc runs fine
When logged into Unity/Gnome-shell , xbmc only runs fine from terminal.

also in gnome-shell after installing the catalyst drivers, the top panel is full of artifacts.
Ideas anyone?

Use gnome-classic, the others will only waste resources at present.

Wait for AMD and Gnome to get their acts together, I see these errors also.

You could try Unity-2D if you want eye-candy and XBMC.

- Balinus - 2011-10-18

Does it work out of the box with Ubuntu 11.10 ?