Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- magnetism - 2011-05-21

quotaholic Wrote:Can linux on the Zacate platform bitstream the higher end surround formats like DTS-MA and True-HD? My board is the Asus e350-M1-Deluxe.

The hardware can, xbmc can't yet. Wait for the audioengine branch afaik. Not sure if other linux software might be able to bitstream hd sound.

Downgrade? - SDM2011 - 2011-05-21

MTroi, what sort of issues did downgrading to 10.10 solve for you? I have the exact same board, and my issues on natty include video stuttering, particularly for online streams, leading to frequent non-clean shutdowns.

- MTroi - 2011-05-21

SDM2011 Wrote:MTroi, what sort of issues did downgrading to 10.10 solve for you? I have the exact same board, and my issues on natty include video stuttering, particularly for online streams, leading to frequent non-clean shutdowns.

First of all, I didn't want the "Composite Disable" Option, since I use VNC to connect to and use the system beyond xbmc and hence, I need a taskbar. Second, the clean shutdown issue did happen to me, but I did no shutdown from xbmc with 10.10 yet (just normal closing). Can tell you more in a few days.

The VLC Player 1.1.9 in natty keeps freezing my PC (Not only this one, but also my desktop and laptop PC) and google search validated a bunch of bugs for vlc with natty. All in all, Natty just didn't feel like a good stable release yet, I hope you can understand that.

By the way, the graphical installation of 10.10 was not possible (alternateCD needed!) and even after the latest updates, the system only booted into console. After installing the catalyst drivers, the boot to desktop was possible. Since then the system just runs and runs and runs... :-)

- SDM2011 - 2011-05-23

Quote:I did no shutdown from xbmc with 10.10 yet (just normal closing). Can tell you more in a few days.

I mean halting linux as a whole causes either a kernel panic, or a hard lockup, once video stuttering starts. When I have to kill xorg, I get hard lockups more often than not. If I pause any video, stuttering starts immediately upon resume. Seeking forward or back sometimes triggers stuttering as well. It usually plays flawlessly if I just leave it alone, and audio always plays flawlessly, even while the video is stuttering.

I'm going to try running the maverick kernel on natty to see if that solves the issue. Perhaps downgrading AMD's fglrx driver will help as well. I used to have fewer issues before I started keeping current with natty updates. Later xorg, kernel, xbmc and fglrx versions started causing me progressively more problems.

I also noticed that the wireless reception and/or bandwidth, seems relatively poor. Where laptops have no trouble with streams from a given physical location, this board constantly goes into buffering mode. I only get 2MB/s transfers speeds over windows file sharing to a router in the next room. Have you noticed any such problems?

Edit: maverick kernel is even buggier than the natty kernel, unfortunately. Going to try updating to 2.6.39 which was recently released.

- MTroi - 2011-05-23

SDM2011 Wrote:I mean halting linux as a whole causes either a kernel panic, or a hard lockup, once video stuttering starts. When I have to kill xorg, I get hard lockups more often than not. If I pause any video, stuttering starts immediately upon resume. Seeking forward or back sometimes triggers stuttering as well. It usually plays flawlessly if I just leave it alone, and audio always plays flawlessly, even while the video is stuttering.

I didn't experience any stuttering yet. I just had a missmatch of audio/video after changing the audio language, but that had been only the case once. A rewind helped. Had no issues with X11 crashes yet.

SDM2011 Wrote:I'm going to try running the maverick kernel on natty to see if that solves the issue. Perhaps downgrading AMD's fglrx driver will help as well. I used to have fewer issues before I started keeping current with natty updates. Later xorg, kernel, xbmc and fglrx versions started causing me progressively more problems.

A new version of xbmc got released by Lars Op den Kamp and since then, no crash logs appear in my home dir (dirty shutdowns of xbmc). I use the latest versions of the fglrx drivers (11.5) here.

SDM2011 Wrote:I also noticed that the wireless reception and/or bandwidth, seems relatively poor. Where laptops have no trouble with streams from a given physical location, this board constantly goes into buffering mode. I only get 2MB/s transfers speeds over windows file sharing to a router in the next room. Have you noticed any such problems?

I don't use the WLAN interface yet (No WLAN AP in use), Gigabit Ethernet would still be my favorite.

SDM2011 Wrote:Edit: maverick kernel is even buggier than the natty kernel, unfortunately. Going to try updating to 2.6.39 which was recently released.

Been there, done that. Wink
That was my reason to go back to Maverick!

- SDM2011 - 2011-05-24

Quote:A new version of xbmc got released by Lars Op den Kamp and since then, no crash logs appear in my home dir (dirty shutdowns of xbmc).

I'm using this release as well, but now I can't change any settings.

Quote:I use the latest versions of the fglrx drivers (11.5) here.

I uninstalled all the xvba, libva, xbmc, and fglrx, then installed the x-updates ppa, and used their newest fglrx and libva1 drivers, and the xvba-va-driver provided by Andrew Hunter. A packaging bug for fglrx/libva1 blocks the standard install for this package. Stock natty kernel.

The stuttering is almost gone now with the new libva1/fglrx combo, though I can still trigger it on occasion. Online streams are much better too. It's a shame that the team-xbmc unstable ppa doesn't build with vaapi support. Could have saved a lot of these headaches.

I noticed the odd audio distortion in this new setup (pitch goes up and down minutely), presumably to sync audio stream with the video. I can't tweak the settings to confirm though, because they're all greyed out due to the above bug.

- dazombie46 - 2011-05-25

OMG i dont understand any word in this forum, i never used linux or smthg. god dammit....

I JUST want a working ISO for downloading!!!!!!!! .....so plz can someone give a link.?? ofcourse with the newest drivers!

Nemeks ISO didnt work for me. Some guy managed to make it work, but arent they offering it here? heee?

I have a ZBOX AD02 plus / Zacate <---------------

PLZZZSad

- Robotica - 2011-05-25

Updated the OP with more up-to-date info. Now, I changed my ASUS-mobo for a netbook (HP) and I have Nemeks build up and running. Now I want to build a mini Natty install. This weekend I spend some time to test this (and hopefully to finish the last part).

Thnx for participating in this topic.

- Krautmaster - 2011-05-27

@Robotica

if i dont install libdrm-dev right before the libva packages, ill get an error on libva-dev.

Maybe you should include this into your how to.

- Darakian - 2011-05-27

User nemek built a custom iso for this. It works great on my MSI board. Also I made a torrent for anyone interested.

Thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81286&page=16

Torrent:
http://www.filedropper.com/xbmc-100-live-amdiso

- Robotica - 2011-05-27

Darakian Wrote:User nemek built a custom iso for this. It works great on my MSI board. Also I made a torrent for anyone interested.

Thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=81286&page=16

Torrent:
http://www.filedropper.com/xbmc-100-live-amdiso

Thnx. You made it even easier for a lot of people to get this started. See the updated OP for reference:

- E35M1-I - 2011-05-27

I don't want to run this as a live cd but inside my normal linux system , can somebody explain how to launch this if you mount it?.

- Darakian - 2011-05-27

Hey Robotica, is there any chance you can find a better place to host the torrent file? File dropper will delete that after a few weeks.

- ajayrockrock - 2011-05-27

dazombie46 Wrote:OMG i dont understand any word in this forum, i never used linux or smthg. god dammit....

I JUST want a working ISO for downloading!!!!!!!! .....so plz can someone give a link.?? ofcourse with the newest drivers!

Nemeks ISO didnt work for me. Some guy managed to make it work, but arent they offering it here? heee?

Is there anyway you could use windows instead of Linux? The instructions here are obviously a little advanced as the hardware is still fairly new and the drivers are improving daily. In a few months (or next year) this bleeding edge software will make it's way into easy to use distributions.

Or if you wanna learn what's going on here, then you have a lot of googling ahead of you and a lot of fun learning all this cool shit. Smile

Have Fun!

- deform - 2011-05-28

lots of googling - check! Smile

> team-xbmc PPA can be used as long as you use a git build.
does that mean that an rebuild is required? Just installed the binaries, but no vaapi acceleration enable checkbox in the video settings.