Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- Ason - 2011-11-13

I installed 11.04 yesterday, i didn't see the new post in here, sorry,
And have completed step 2 right now, should i go on or start over with 11.10?

- MTroi - 2011-11-13

*Updated to latest ATI drivers (11.12), included a driver update howto below*

I have spent this weekend to figure out, how to get all stuff running on my ubuntu 11.10 'oneiric' system. Finally, it all works but had some very frustrating experiences along the way.

Here is how I did it:

System: Asus E35M1-I DELUXE
Video out: DVI
Audio out: S/PDIF Out (optical)

System: Ubuntu 11.10 x64 Installation CD (no minimal for me)

1. Install Ubuntu

2. Boot to system and (optional) install good old aptitude as package manager

3. Update system to latest packages via (apt-get might have different commands)
Code:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude full-upgrade -y

4. Add new source for libva:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

5. Update sources:
Code:
sudo aptitude update

6. Before installing latest ATI drivers (11.12):
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases ia32-libs

7. Install latest ATI driver:
Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.12; cd catalyst11.12/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

8. Generate new X11 config and activate tear-free
Code:
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-video=on

9. Reboot the system

10. Check driver installation (should say something like: OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon ...):
Code:
fglrxinfo

11. Install libva:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 vainfo

12. Update environment:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/environment
Code:
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba
LIBVA_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/va/drivers

13. Add user to video and audio:
Code:
sudo adduser YourUserName video
sudo adduser YourUserName audio

14. Install xbmc (I used Rennie):
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/xbmc-nightly
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install xbmc

15. Reboot the system

16. Start xbmc and set Audio to "Digital/Optical" and ATI Southbridge as digital throughput

I hope everything is correct (did this from my memory) and hope it helps some other guys out there.

ATI Driver Update Howto (For users with versions older than 11.12)

1. Uninstall the old driver
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

2. Get & Install the new driver (for future releases just replace 11.12/11-12 with the current version):

Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.12; cd catalyst11.12/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

3. Update X11 config (might not be necessary, but I did that):
Code:

4. Reboot the system

5. Check your graphics driver
Code:
fglrxinfo

6. Check the vainfo output (My libva was broken after the driver update, so the output said something like 'libva: va_openDriver() returns -1'):
Code:
vainfo

If your libva is still fine, skip the next steps:

7. Remove the libva (Unfortunately xbmc is also removed, but at least the config is preserved)

Code:
sudo apt-get remove xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 vainfo

8. Reinstall the libva:
Code:

9. Reinstall xbmc:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

10. Reboot the system

11. Check vainfo again (some libraries like *h264* should appear now):
Code:
vainfo

12. Start xbmc :-)

- levster - 2011-11-14

I tried reading through this and other posts, and my head is getting ready to explode by now. I have two XBMC setups running on Zotac Intel Atom N330 chipsets without a hitch, and now when installing the new 10.1 download on a Zotac E-350 board, via Live CD, the home screen hangs. Is there a way for a Linux novice to be able to setup and run XBMC on this board without having to spend an entire weekend trying to peace-meal a working solution? Something simple? I downloaded the iso mentioned in the first post of this thread, but it seems to be a much older version, unless I am missing something. I guess what I want to find out - is there going to be a one-stop-shop installation, such a Live CD that does not need to be post configured.

Thanks,

Lev

- kobik - 2011-11-14

I've just started working on a script to automate all the process but I guess it will take a few tries to see everything is working fine.

- Boyz - 2011-11-14

Hi MTroi,
did you try 1080p24hz playback?

regards
Boyz

MTroi Wrote:I have spent this weekend to figure out, how to get all stuff running on my ubuntu 11.10 'oneiric' system. Finally, it all works but had some very frustrating experiences along the way.

Here is how I did it:

1. Install Ubuntu

Code:

Code:

5. Update sources:
Code:
sudo aptitude update

6. Before installing latest ATI drivers (11.10):
Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases ia32-libs

Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.10; cd catalyst11.10/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

Code:

9. Reboot the system

10. Check driver installation (should say something like: OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon ...):
Code:
fglrxinfo

11. Install libva:
Code:

12. Update environment:
Code:
Code:
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba

Code:

Code:
sudo aptitude update

15. Reboot the system

16. Start xbmc and set Audio to "Digital/Optical" and ATI Southbridge as digital throughput

I hope everything is correct (did this from my memory) and hope it helps some other guys out there.

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-14

Seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST ! I have spent nearly everyday after work and all weekend for the past month trying to get my system up and running and this guide was finally the step-by-step procedure that worked!.....for the most part.. I am still having a few issues though. MTroi, are you experiencing any of the following with your setup?

If I turn on 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', everything seems to work well. However if I try to fast forward, when I stop the video is choppy and not watchable. If I pause and let it 'buffer', the video is still choppy. All HD and SD content plays fine otherwise. Sometimes after fast forwarding XBMC will freeze and I have to reboot from terminal. Other times XBMC will freeze on the main menu and I have to reboot via terminal. In this mode its like playing with a time bomb. Its not bad because I know how to fix it but when the GF is home alone trying to use XBMC, I cant have it crashing on her.

If I tun off 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', most of my HD @ 24hz stuff works flawlessly (resolution in ati catalyst set to 1080p @ 24hz probably helps Wink ). For some reason a few HD programs ( An Idiot Abroad which according to 'xbmc info' is @ 60hz) will be too choppy and unwatchable. A few SD programs will be OK (some HD broadcast converted to SD) while some will constantly loop between playing normal and like jumping a few frames (The Kids in the Hall old SD). Despite all this, menu navigation has never crashed on me while in this video mode.

I should mention that no matter what scenario I use above, the audio is perfect and synced and cpu usage never exceeds 20%. While this setup isn't perfect, its seems to work the best for the content I'm watching the most of atm (HD @ 24hz). I guess for now Ill chock up all the crashes to using a nightly build and that maybe these issues will be taken care of in the Eden release.

Off a tangent for a sec...Over the last month with nothing but problems trying to get ATI hardware to work with XBMC, learning Ubuntu, ditching Ubuntu for Windows Server 03, Learning Windows Sever 03 is complete shite for this sort of thing, Going back to Ubuntu, I often wonder if its all worth it. Seems I could spend $40 bucks on an NVIDIA card, slap it in my setup, and be done with it. Obviously the point of this thread is to get ATI hardware acceleration to work, but why if it takes weeks of trouble shooting for the new to average user after which its still not perfect nor guaranteed to work? Thoughts? /end rant.

I'm still very new to linux/ubuntu, but I will try to help out in anyway. if you need a test subject, I don't mind helping out. If you read my little spiel and would like me to post error logs or other info, just walk me through where to find it and I will. Here's my hardware setup:

(1) ASRock E350M1/USB3 AMD E-350 APU
(1) Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066
(4) SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI Drives in RAID5 (mdadm)
(1) SAMSUNG 500GB Drive (OS)
(1) Rosewill RC-216 PCI Express SATA Controller ( for OS drive)
(1) Fractal Design Array R2 W/ 300W SFX PSU Power Supply
(1) Sharp Quattron LED-LCD 1080p 120hz and 24p via HDMI cable
(1) Black Three Pronged Plug connected to the wall and PC :p

Other Settings:
ATI:
Tear Free enabled
Always Sync V enabled ( per your instructions)
Display set to 1080 @ 24hz

XBMC:
Allow hardware acceleration (vaapi)
Adjusts display refresh rate to match video (off/on, see above)
Sync Playback to display ( av mode = audio)

Full Screen 1080
Vertical Sync always enabled

MTroi Wrote:I have spent this weekend to figure out, how to get all stuff running on my ubuntu 11.10 'oneiric' system. Finally, it all works but had some very frustrating experiences along the way.

Here is how I did it:

1. Install Ubuntu

Code:

Code:

5. Update sources:
Code:
sudo aptitude update

6. Before installing latest ATI drivers (11.10):
Code:

Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.10; cd catalyst11.10/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-10-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

Code:

9. Reboot the system

Code:
fglrxinfo

11. Install libva:
Code:

12. Update environment:
Code:
Code:
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=xvba

Code:

Code:
sudo aptitude update

15. Reboot the system

- MTroi - 2011-11-15

Boyz Wrote:Hi MTroi,
did you try 1080p24hz playback?

regards
Boyz

No I haven't, I'm missing a TV/Monitor that could handle this freq. Sorry, wanted to write that already in the post above, but forgot. Oo

idtjes3 Wrote:Seriously, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS POST ! I have spent nearly everyday after work and all weekend for the past month trying to get my system up and running and this guide was finally the step-by-step procedure that worked!.....for the most part.. I am still having a few issues though. MTroi, are you experiencing any of the following with your setup?

I've been looking for a step by step instruction myself but couldn't find any, so I thought of gathering all bits from different forums and posts and puzzle it out. I'm glad that my post might help others, especially linux/ubuntu beginners. I don't know if all the steps are necessary or if they are just optional.

idtjes3 Wrote:If I turn on 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', everything seems to work well. However if I try to fast forward, when I stop the video is choppy and not watchable. If I pause and let it 'buffer', the video is still choppy. All HD and SD content plays fine otherwise. Sometimes after fast forwarding XBMC will freeze and I have to reboot from terminal. Other times XBMC will freeze on the main menu and I have to reboot via terminal. In this mode its like playing with a time bomb. Its not bad because I know how to fix it but when the GF is home alone trying to use XBMC, I cant have it crashing on her.

I will try this on wednesday or thursday, I'm on a business trip right now and have no chance of testing it. The only crash I've noticed so far is an unclean quit to desktop. THere had been problems in the past in 11.04, maybe I've missed a post with a solution.

idtjes3 Wrote:If I tun off 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video', most of my HD @ 24hz stuff works flawlessly (resolution in ati catalyst set to 1080p @ 24hz probably helps ). For some reason a few HD programs ( An Idiot Abroad which according to 'xbmc info' is @ 60hz) will be too choppy and unwatchable. A few SD programs will be OK (some HD broadcast converted to SD) while some will constantly loop between playing normal and like jumping a few frames (The Kids in the Hall old SD). Despite all this, menu navigation has never crashed on me while in this video mode.

As mentioned above, I'm unable to test the 24p properly at my home.

idtjes3 Wrote:Off a tangent for a sec...Over the last month with nothing but problems trying to get ATI hardware to work with XBMC, learning Ubuntu, ditching Ubuntu for Windows Server 03, Learning Windows Sever 03 is complete shite for this sort of thing, Going back to Ubuntu, I often wonder if its all worth it. Seems I could spend $40 bucks on an NVIDIA card, slap it in my setup, and be done with it. Obviously the point of this thread is to get ATI hardware acceleration to work, but why if it takes weeks of trouble shooting for the new to average user after which its still not perfect nor guaranteed to work? Thoughts? /end rant.

I've been addited to Linux and especially to Ubuntu for 2-3 years now and I've started with debian. My first boot after debian installation ended in a terminal because the graphics driver didn't work, coming from that experience it is nearly a piece of cake with ubuntu nowadays. Big Grin

Although I would love to have an out of the box working xbmc with fusion support under a ubuntu release at the end of 2011, it was still fun to go through all the steps and try something out. Especially the helpful community behind ubuntu/xbmc makes it less frustrating to fail. I can't really remember a windows thread with a vivid and helpful discussion like this one and I doubt that this is due to always working out-of-the-box stuff in a windows environment. Big Grin

idtjes3 Wrote:I'm still very new to linux/ubuntu, but I will try to help out in anyway. if you need a test subject, I don't mind helping out. If you read my little spiel and would like me to post error logs or other info, just walk me through where to find it and I will. Here's my hardware setup:[...]

Thanks for the offer, but I think there are others guys here, who could use your installation as an test system. I know less about xbmc and right configuration to achieve this or that, just wanted to get my 1080p videos running without stuttering and an audio track in sync. Big Grin

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-15

OK, after a (frustrating) month of trying to get his to work I am FINALLY running a solid XBMC setup (for the most part, but Ill get into that at the end). I have 1080p @ 24hz and 60hz running flawless for both HD and SD content. For others using the Asrock e350m1/usb3 ( or similar platform) here are my settings. Hopefully you can use them in your setup if your having problems as I did. Assuming you have a 1080p 24hz compatible display:

1) Follow Mtroi's guide to a '"T" Smile Thanks again !
2) Once your done open the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) with administrative rights.
3) Make sure these parameters are set in the CCC:

Tear Free - Off ( Ive had it on and off,but I don't notice a difference either way.)
Vsync - Allow Application to decide
3D settings - All to low, performance, or off (cant remember off hand).

4) Now this is the important step. You need to configure video settings for both 24hz and 60hz 1080p settings. The reason for this step is when XBMC is set to 'adjust display resolution to video' the video will be full screen. For instance if you skip this step and your video changes to 1080p @ 60hz, the screen will have black bars all around the video ( annoying to say the least)

- Assuming the CCC automatically detected your display as 1080p @ 24 hz. (if not set it and restart CCC) find the over scan option and move the slider until the video is full screen. Hit apply and OK.

- Relaunch the CCC again this time under the resolution settings select 1080p @ 60hz ( may say preferred after it). Your display should flash as the new resolution is set. Once again find the over scan options and move the slider until the video is full screen

- You should now have 1080p @ 24hz and 1080p @ 60hz set for full screen.

- Since XBMC will control resolution based on the video source, you can leave the desktop at 1080p @ 24hz or 60hz. Its your choice. I would assume setting it to 24hz would make menu navigation smoother....Also come to think of it, it would be a good idea to set this to what ever content you play the most. That way the display changes resolution the least amount of times.

5) Launch XBMC and go to video settings

- Render Method - Auto
- Use VAAPI hardware acceleration (ATI )
- Disable VUPAU (since your using ATI hardware)
- Adjust display refresh rate to match video - on
- Sync play back to display - set to audio

Video Output:
- 1080 full screen
- Vertical blank sync - Enable during video play back ( I guess you could always enable if your experiencing navigation problems)

That's it ! Every once and awhile I experience an anomaly in the video, but for the most part both SD and HD @ 60hz and 24hz are rock solid. YMMV.

Now for 3 issues Im experiencing. Since this setup seems to be working for the most part, Im going to blame it on using a nightly build and not a stable release.

One, I cannot fast forward HD content. If I do the video becomes super choppy and unwatchable. If I pause it and restart, its still choppy ( no rebuffer?). Im forced to stop the video and restart it against. SD content will seek just fine. Ive tried a few different settings but I cannot clear this up.

Two, I am using the XBMC remote for android app. It is awesome and I highly recommend it. However I came across an odd scenario. It appears that if your battery is dying while using the android app in remote mode, it likes to send random rapid key presses to XBMC. What does this do? Well, if you happen to be watching HD content and it decides to press left or right rapidly (rewind/fast forward), your video will now be super choppy and you'll have to restart it in order to get smooth play back again. I think it has something to do with using WiFi and maybe loosing the connection due to not having enough power or something. Only speculation though.

Three, I don't know if its just me of what but all my HD content, for lack of better word, looks a bit on the soft side. I swear it used to 'pop' more and was crisper. I read this could be caused by DXVA2, but I don't see the option that its enabled or disabled, so again Ill chock it up to the nightly build. Maybe its the fact I have all my 3d settings to low, Ill test that tomorrow. For the most part my HD content is 720P, maybe ill give 1080P a try and see how that looks.

I hope this helps. I for one know the frustrations of this set up and all that comes with it. But in the end it does work, its just a PITA for a noob like me Smile.

ps The rest of the info in this thread was amazing too and thanks to everyone who have worked hard to get this all to work on such new hardware !

- John

- kobik - 2011-11-15

I tried the whole process again with Ubuntu Minimal 11.10.
I'm trying to compile from Lars's GIT and Running
Code:
./bootstrap
Returns the following error
Code:
configure.ac:146: warning: AC_LANG_CONFTEST: no AC_LANG_SOURCE call detected in body
../../lib/autoconf/lang.m4:194: AC_LANG_CONFTEST is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2591: _AC_COMPILE_IFELSE is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2607: AC_COMPILE_IFELSE is expanded from...
../../lib/m4sugar/m4sh.m4:606: AS_IF is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2032: AC_CACHE_VAL is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2053: AC_CACHE_CHECK is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:162: _AC_CHECK_HEADER_COMPILE is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:67: AC_CHECK_HEADER is expanded from...
../../lib/m4sugar/m4sh.m4:574: AS_FOR is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:249: AC_CHECK_HEADERS is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:1: _MAC_SAVE is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:434: MAC_PKG_PNG is expanded from...
configure.ac:146: the top level
configure.ac:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SHLIBEXT
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:47: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SHLIBPATH
configure.ac:48: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYSSEARCHPATH
configure.ac:50: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_DLLIB
configure.ac:51: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYMBOL_USCORE
configure.ac:52: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_DLSYM_USCORE
configure.ac:53: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Any idea what's wrong now?

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-15

Hmm,

It appears I'm still having issues with HD content. The show will play fine for about 30 minutes, then all of a sudden become choppy and unwatchable. Pressing "o" I can see a few things. One is that so called "24hz" broadcasts actually fluctuate quite a bit during play back ranging anywhere from high 22hz to low 25-26hz. Two, I am missing a boat load of frames. Not as much as I was when VAAPI wasn't properly set, but enough to make me think something isn't configured properly.

Not really sure where to go from here as it seems Ive checked, unchecked, and rechecked pretty much every option I can. Any advice would be welcomed Big Grin

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-15

I would follow MTroi's guide above. Its the closest Ive gotten to perfect play back. Maybe it will work for you.

kobik Wrote:I tried the whole process again with Ubuntu Minimal 11.10.
I'm trying to compile from Lars's GIT and Running
Code:
./bootstrap
Returns the following error
Code:
configure.ac:146: warning: AC_LANG_CONFTEST: no AC_LANG_SOURCE call detected in body
../../lib/autoconf/lang.m4:194: AC_LANG_CONFTEST is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2591: _AC_COMPILE_IFELSE is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2607: AC_COMPILE_IFELSE is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2032: AC_CACHE_VAL is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/general.m4:2053: AC_CACHE_CHECK is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:162: _AC_CHECK_HEADER_COMPILE is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:67: AC_CHECK_HEADER is expanded from...
../../lib/m4sugar/m4sh.m4:574: AS_FOR is expanded from...
../../lib/autoconf/headers.m4:249: AC_CHECK_HEADERS is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:1: _MAC_SAVE is expanded from...
acinclude.m4:434: MAC_PKG_PNG is expanded from...
configure.ac:146: the top level
configure.ac:46: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SHLIBEXT
      If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:47: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SHLIBPATH
configure.ac:48: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYSSEARCHPATH
configure.ac:50: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_DLLIB
configure.ac:51: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYMBOL_USCORE
configure.ac:52: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_DLSYM_USCORE
configure.ac:53: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LTDL_SYS_DLOPEN_DEPLIBS
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1

Any idea what's wrong now?

- kobik - 2011-11-15

I just don't want full Ubuntu install.
Oh well, going back to 11.04 where things were more simple.

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-15

Honestly I don't see any reason why his guide wouldn't work for you. I don't think there are any exclusive 11.10 64bit procedures in that write up...

- wsnipex - 2011-11-15

kobik Wrote:I just don't want full Ubuntu install.
Oh well, going back to 11.04 where things were more simple.

There is nothing "more simple" in natty. Actually its the other way round, in natty you must install a couple of things from external ppas, in oneiric everything is in the official repos.

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-15

wsnipex Wrote:There is nothing "more simple" in natty. Actually its the other way round, in natty you must install a couple of things from external ppas, in oneiric everything is in the official repos.

Couldn't agree more. I attempted this on Natty first and found myself going around in circles. Seemed like I read 5 different post telling me to do 5 different things all of which never worked properly. If your a pretty confident Ubuntu user (unlike myself) then by all means give it ago. If not, I'd recommend saving yourself the weeks of aggravation Wink .