Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- chemical - 2011-11-17

Robotica Wrote:Is there more info on this?

Not as far as I know, I'm just silently following FernetMenta's git repository.

https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/commits/xvba

I'd like to give it a try but unfortunately it is missing the PVR part. But that will be merged sooner or later..

- FernetMenta - 2011-11-17

Robotica Wrote:Is there more info on this?

I will post more info on this soon (1-2 weeks).

- Robotica - 2011-11-17

Thnx. for the info. Are those improvements for XVBA or is this rewrite of rendering bypassing VAAPI?

Edit: @Fernetmetta: Thanks. Will wait....

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-17

Sweet, can't wait to see how this unfolds F.M. In the meantime is there anything that can be done as a crutch to prevent the random crashes ( aside from not using XBMC for about 2 weeks Tongue )? Like I said before this machine also houses my RAID 5 which has been taking a beating from all the hard resets. Ive been fortunate I haven't had any data problems as of yet...

Hmm come to think of it ( to answer my own question) I have a spare computer with NVIDIA gfx that I could use in the meantime...Its loud but should be stable till an appropriate fix arises. Those involved thanks for all your hard work !

Ubuntu 11.10 and xbmc - Boyz - 2011-11-17

Hi guys,

i installed yesterday ubuntu 11.10 x64, and followd the guide from MTroi.
Everything went fine.
I started xbmc, and tried to play a 1080p video with vaapi enabled, it is still shuttering!
And then with 24hz mode whole xbmc freeze and i had to reboot my machine.
Then i compiled xbmc from source but same error, without vaapi everything playing well but very slow.
Before Ubuntu i used Debian squeeze with VA API version 0.31, there i could watch all 1080p video at 60hz with enabled vaapi, without any trouble, only issue was 24hz.
This really sucks!Angry

regards
Boyz

- fritsch - 2011-11-17

@idtjes3:
Could you retry to install fglrx version 11.11? And recheck if this bug still occurs?

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-17

Hi fritsch,

Im still an Ubuntu noob so please bare with me. To be honest I thought I installed the 11.11 driver to begin with. I ran this code from MToris tutorial:

Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.11; cd catalyst11.11/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

In those lines it specifies the 11.11. Again, not sure why it would install 11.10 instead. When I get home tonight I'll attempt to uninstall and purge my current driver then try to run the above code again and see if it gives me version 11.11 this time. Is there another way I should be installing the fglrx driver if this doesn't work again? Thanks for your help !

- fritsch - 2011-11-17

This should in deed work. What does:
Code:
sudo dpkg -l |grep fglrx

tell?

- wsnipex - 2011-11-17

did you also run
Code:
sudo amdconfig --initial
or
sudo aticonfig --initial

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-17

@ fritsch: I will post those results tonight
@ wsnipex: Yes, I believe MTori had that in his guide. I basically ran what he did step by step on my machine.

- waver123 - 2011-11-17

idtjes3,
MTori updated his guide yesterday, most likely to switch to 11.11, the driver was released on the 15th, so his original post might have point to 11.10.

- MTroi - 2011-11-17

The original post was written with the 11.10 ATI driver, so everyone who went through this guide before yesterday has this version installed. I'm going to include a driver update tutorial now:

ATI Driver Update HowTo

1. Uninstall the old driver
Code:
sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*

2. Get & Install the new driver (for future releases just replace 11.11/11-11 with the current version):

Code:
cd ~/; mkdir catalyst11.11; cd catalyst11.11/
wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run
chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run
sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-11-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/oneiric
sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb

3. Update X11 config (might not be necessary, but I did that):
Code:
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
sudo aticonfig --sync-video=on

4. Reboot the system

5. Check your graphics driver
Code:
fglrxinfo

6. Check the vainfo output (My libva was broken after the driver update, so the output said something like 'libva: va_openDriver() returns -1'):
Code:
vainfo

If your libva is still fine, skip the next steps:

7. Remove the libva (Unfortunately xbmc is also removed, but at least the config is preserved)

Code:
sudo apt-get remove xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 vainfo

8. Reinstall the libva:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xvba-va-driver libva-glx1 vainfo

9. Reinstall xbmc:
Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

10. Reboot the system

11. Check vainfo again (some libraries like *h264* should appear now):
Code:
vainfo

12. Start xbmc :-)

I've notcied that the tear-free option was eating my CPU for breakfast, so I disabled it under the AMD Control Center (
Code:
sudo amdcccle
). I also deactivated the VDPAU option in XBMC only VAAPI and video text are enabled under the video option now. My 1080p test proved CPU usage below 20% for both processors and a jump forward by 10 minutes (within the movie) worked flawlessly.

Just to let you know, I still can't test the 24p stuff.

- idtjes3 - 2011-11-18

@ fritsch: Sorry I forgot to run the sudo dpkg -l grep fglrx code before I udated to 11.11

@Waver123: I saw he updated the guide. I remember reading in another thread 11.11 was available, so I thought I remember changing the 11.10 to 11.11 when I followed MTori's guide, must not of. My bad.

@MTori: Just did the latest and greatest guide of yours. Everything seems to be back up and ruining under 11.11. I have access to 1080P 2 24hz and 60hz. Over the next couple of days I'm going to run a few tests with different configurations. I will post my results here. For reference, here are a few of my settings:

fglrxinfo
Code:
ms01-john@media-server-01:~$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6300 series Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.1.11251 Compatibility Profile Context

vainfo
Code:
ms01-john@media-server-01:~$ vainfo
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
libva: User requested driver 'xvba'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 0.32 (libva 1.0.15)
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileH264High               :    VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            :    VAEntrypointVLD

Also, probably not related to the issue Ive been having but for some reason on the XBMC main page under recently added TV shows, there are no episode thumbs for new shows. The shows play fine, just kind of annoying seeing a blank square.

Also every time I launch XBMC I see these lines of code:
Code:
ms01-john@media-server-01:~$ xbmc

(FEH.py:2845): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

(FEH.py:2845): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "pixmap",

params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/ms01-john/.smb/smb.conf":
    No such file or directory
params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/home/ms01-john/.smb/smb.conf.append":
    No such file or directory
libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
libva: User requested driver 'xvba'
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/xvba_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0

Not sure what this all means but never saw it before this weekend. Again I'll post results of my tests.

Thanks all.

~ John

- fritsch - 2011-11-18

So, as a first impression, xbmc runs stable with fglrx 11.11?

If anybody still has a hang concerning "menu navigation", "press stopped and movie list did not come back", etc. please stand up now as eden is getting final in little more than 5 weeks.

In order to get this issue fixed - if fglrx 11.11 did not fix it, i hope it did cause the error was in rather deep in fglrx - we have to get good backtraces and stuff.

- waver123 - 2011-11-18

played around some more with the 11.11 fglrx driver tonight, still has not hung so far, looks pretty solid.