Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO use VAAPI HW Acceleration on AMD Zacate (Fusion) platform (/showthread.php?tid=99154)

- tuxfool - 2011-05-29

deform Wrote:lots of googling - check! Smile

> team-xbmc PPA can be used as long as you use a git build.
does that mean that an rebuild is required? Just installed the binaries, but no vaapi acceleration enable checkbox in the video settings.

Indeed. I believe that the ppas only contain releases. (default) Vaapi support can only be found in development versions. This means building with the "--enable-vaapi" configure switch.

- peterk2005 - 2011-05-29

Does any of you guys succeed to play hi-def material with vaapi, 24P mode and vsync on (so all three in action together) running on a zacate system? I have this problem, no matter what version I try, let it be binary or self-compiled. Sad

If yes, please share your configuration. Thanks.

- htpcero - 2011-05-30

epiped Wrote:@SDM2011: my system also hangs when i try to shutdown.

i use the asrock board without usb3, natty x64, catalyst 11.5, libva1+libva-dev+xvba-drivers from splitted-desktop, and xbmc-pvr from ppa.

vainfo output seems ok and the vaapi option is in the xbmc settings but attempted playback results in a crash.

other problems: screen tearing (i already enabled tear-free desktop), sound over hdmi doesn't work occasionally (i have to stop and restart the video)

could someone with a working natty x64 setup post the exact configuration?

-which xbmc (from source or ppa?)
-which catalyst version (from ppa?)
-which libva1 and xbva (ppa or directly from splitted-d?)
-anything else (other PPAs? xorg.conf)?
-the order of these steps (not sure if thats relevant)

TIA

Any luck finding a solution? I'm seeing pretty much the same issue with the crash when playing x264 content + vaapi enabled.

I compiled xbmc from sources yesterday, and got the vaapi from splitted desktop; natty amd64. the crash is really annoying. I also notice a kind-of-high cpu usage when on idle state (~20 to 50% in one CPU only) but not sure what is normal on this board; system load average is rather low though.

I'm runing an asus e35-M1I deluxe, latest catalyst.

Suspend though seems to be working fine.

Did you try enabling natty-proposed and grabbing the latest kernel? I didn't yet but I'm wondering.

PS: note there is one guy claiming to have 10.10 working AOK although he doesn't provide too many details - let's see if he provides more info
It may be that natty/64bits is not a good choice of a base OS at this time. I think i will try 10.10/32b next.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=807936&postcount=147

- xblitz - 2011-05-31

is this normal when I run vainfo??

Quote:libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA API version: 0.32
vainfo: Driver version: Splitted-Desktop Systems XvBA backend for VA-API - 0.7.8
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
VAProfileH264High : VAEntrypointVLD
VAProfileVC1Advanced : VAEntrypointVLD

because I used to run the nightly builds with VAAPI before without problems and now it crashes on play with VAAPI ... but I also updated some others stuff so im just not sure where to look...

Im currently on gentoo linux with ati driver 11.5 kernel 2.6.38

- htpcero - 2011-05-31

xblitz Wrote:is this normal when I run vainfo??

because I used to run the nightly builds with VAAPI before without problems and now it crashes on play with VAAPI ... but I also updated some others stuff so im just not sure where to look...

Im currently on gentoo linux with ati driver 11.5 kernel 2.6.38

ubuntu natty (2.6.38)/amd64 here. same crashes. I also see youtube streaming crashes xbmc - is this hapening to you as well?

Wondering what type of kernel you are running (32bits or 64 bits)?
And when you had no crashes - was it on that same kernel or a previous one?

- Robotica - 2011-05-31

Krautmaster Wrote:@Robotica

if i dont install libdrm-dev right before the libva packages, ill get an error on libva-dev.

Maybe you should include this into your how to.

Thnx. Will update this.

- Robotica - 2011-05-31

I don't have much time to do testing and writing my results to this topic. My conclusion so far:

First I tried Nemeks build and it works pretty ok for me. Just missing sound but that probably is a driver problem of my netbook. I didn't try to install to HD; just ran the Live edition and played some films (I didn't even setup network to start with).

Also, I tried Openelec (OpenELEC-Generic.i386-devel-20110518-r7005.tar) and that also works, except:
- tearing;
- WLAN;
- Sound.

Also mainly driver problems.

Since time is limited the comming weeks I don't see myself writing a complete guide on how to build a solution with minimal Natty. However, interesting info will be copied to OP.

- natto34 - 2011-06-01

I'm running Ubuntu natty 11.04, updated 2.6.39-generic kernel, latest xvba, libva1, libva-dev from SplittedD, and catalyst 11.5 ati driver. I kept having issues with mplayer -vo vaapi and xbmc crashing with vaapi enabled when I was logged into the default Ubuntu desktop. When I changed the desktop (at login) to Ubuntu Classic, viola, vaapi works! I'm not sure the exact reason for this incompatibility, but the issue is reproducible when I switch back to the standard Ubuntu desktop. This may partially explain a user's success with older versions of Ubuntu.

natty? - quotaholic - 2011-06-01

Just went to install natty via unetbootin on my E35-M1. The install went fine but my sony tv gives me a no signal indication when I reboot. I used the alternate installer. The screen flickers a couple of times like it wants to show me something after a while though the standard sony check your input banner pops up. Does anyone have any tips or ideas?

- waver123 - 2011-06-03

Some feedback on my e350 box.
I'm using the msi E350IA-E45, tried Nemeks build and intalled to HD, pretty much everything works, did hanged once while I was trying out different videos, have to tried it again to see if it's repeatable.

Robotica,
I've no luck with openelec though, I tried the generic version and it crashed booting up, something about host bridge window colliding with video rom....let me try the developer build and see if it's better.

- HansP - 2011-06-03

waver123 Wrote:Some feedback on my e350 box.
I'm using the msi E350IA-E45, tried Nemeks build and intalled to HD, pretty much everything works, did hanged once while I was trying out different videos, have to tried it again to see if it's repeatable.

Robotica,
I've no luck with openelec though, I tried the generic version and it crashed booting up, something about host bridge window colliding with video rom....let me try the developer build and see if it's better.

i got that prob too , had the same board , now gave it to my dad and got me an E35M1-I

untill there is no good solution for the Fusion , i stick with windows Smile

i tried and failed too many times allready :d

- Robotica - 2011-06-03

waver123 Wrote:Robotica,

Dev. build worked for me.

- pellepelster - 2011-06-05

Hi all,

I did a XBMC and Ubuntu install on an amd fusion based Zbox AD02, maybe someone can benefit from my experiences.

http://pellepelster.de/installing-ubuntu-11-04-and-xmbc-on-zotac-ad02/

regards,

pelle

- Robotica - 2011-06-05

Great guide

- jbo87 - 2011-06-06

pellepelster Wrote:Hi all,

I did a XBMC and Ubuntu install on an amd fusion based Zbox AD02, maybe someone can benefit from my experiences.

http://pellepelster.de/installing-ubuntu-11-04-and-XBMC-on-zotac-ad02/

regards,

pelle

Nice guide. I think you should apply the patch provided in this ticket before building xbmc though.