Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Metropolis skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Metropolis (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Metropolis skin (/showthread.php?tid=99317)

- gekados - 2011-09-04

Hi Amra.

Really really nice skin! Has a great feel to it, and design is consistent. Most important though: it's smooth and fast !

Any chance of a fixed home menu when using icon view ? And perhaps hiding the subemenus untill you push down, instead of having them displayed all the time ? Would make home screen more 'clean' imo Smile

There is no recently added items availible in icon mode on home screen right ? Would be nice to have that added, perhaps showing by pushing up ?

In tvshows section, any chance that you'll make an episode view ?

A little bug in visualization, when pusing info, the top bar is still alaska white, though with golden letters (leather view). Perhaps you're considering that as a music issue ;-)

Otherwise, tried it out 'cause the screens looked good, and I liked your big alaska mod. Instantly became default skin here, my wife loved it from the start and now i'm not allowed to swap skins again, not that I would, hehe.

Really looking forward to next release with an updated music section !

And thanks for sharing your work, really appreciate it !

- metasynthie - 2011-09-04

Wow, this is a really amazing-looking skin. Your work on the art-deco-style icons and interface is incredibe!

I know it's a work in progress, and I'm using pre-Eden so I can't do much more than watch your videos at the moment, so I have some questions about future plans:

Are you planning on supporting Advanced Launcher with this skin?

Do you have any custom views for Pictures, like coverflows or poster-like views? (Thinking specifically about views designed for folders full of CBRs, since you seem to be a comic book fan -- some skins only have views with square thumbnails or lists, which doesn't work for viewing lots of comic-book covers.)

Any chance of a horizontal menu style?

- zepfan - 2011-09-04

I finally got power back and checked this skin out. It's amazing, I really love it! I look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future so I'll save my requests for a final version!

Thanks for sharing this!

- cainecollin - 2011-09-04

metasynthie Wrote:Wow, this is a really amazing-looking skin. Your work on the art-deco-style icons and interface is incredibe!

I know it's a work in progress, and I'm using pre-Eden so I can't do much more than watch your videos at the moment, so I have some questions about future plans:

Are you planning on supporting Advanced Launcher with this skin?

Do you have any custom views for Pictures, like coverflows or poster-like views? (Thinking specifically about views designed for folders full of CBRs, since you seem to be a comic book fan -- some skins only have views with square thumbnails or lists, which doesn't work for viewing lots of comic-book covers.)

Any chance of a horizontal menu style?

I'm using Pre-Eden and with the 2 changes from a few pages back (sorry forgot who made the changes) it works amazing, Runs smoothly, and looks spectacular.

- sialivi - 2011-09-05

[TV - Landscape]
Landscape view with landscape.jpg enabled doesn't have a fallback image. (Would be nice to use fanart.jpg as fallback if possible)

[Movies - Fanart View]
The posters for my Movie Sets doesn't show up and there's no fallback image either. They do show up in the Files viewtype though.

[Leather Theme]
This probably varies from person to person, but I noticed a slight eye-strain from reading text on top of the dotted pattern in the lower part of the screen.

[Cropped Scroll Nubs]
Amra Wrote:2. Yeah, I think all the scroll bars probably need some love. I don't use them so I accidentally overlooked the Horizontal one before posting the Alpha. Added to the to-do list.
The vertical scroll nub is cropped as well.

[Runtime Inconsistency]
Runtime is listed in 3 different ways in different parts of the skin:
  1. "Min" in most viewtypes.
  2. "min" in Low List.
  3. "mins" for Movies containing multiple episodes of a tv-show, "23 mins (18 episodes)"
Personally I prefer "min".

[Missing Toasts]
Missing toasts when toggling subtitles on/off, or switching between subtitle tracks.

- Shinu - 2011-09-05

@ sialivi, i don't see the point in posting the same thing twice. i'm sure Amra saw it the first time around.

that being said, if you're ever looking to add more info to the lower bar in the future Amra (next aired support, etc), here's a quick mockup of what it might look like Big Grin ...

- zepfan - 2011-09-05

Since you're so damned good at mockups, if you want to do a pseudotv (if you use it) mockup i'll push the skin out quick. I can code them pretty fast, but I have trouble deciding what they will look like.

- Shinu - 2011-09-05

zepfan Wrote:Since you're so damned good at mockups, if you want to do a pseudotv (if you use it) mockup i'll push the skin out quick. I can code them pretty fast, but I have trouble deciding what they will look like.

i have pseudotv, but i don't use it regularly. but i can still look into it. you're talking about doing a mockup for this skin right?

- zepfan - 2011-09-05

Shinu Wrote:i have pseudotv, but i don't use it regularly. but i can still look into it. you're talking about doing a mockup for this skin right?

Yea, I can code everything for it, but I have zero graphic design inspiration, as evidenced by my previous skins!

Yea, If you've got time, and want to. Not a big deal if you don't, but it'd help me a lot for it.
The EPG and info window are the ones that i'd be doing for this skin.

- Shinu - 2011-09-05

zepfan Wrote:Yea, I can code everything for it, but I have zero graphic design inspiration, as evidenced by my previous skins!

Yea, If you've got time, and want to. Not a big deal if you don't, but it'd help me a lot for it.
The EPG and info window are the ones that i'd be doing for this skin.

ok, it's not a problem at all. when i think up a design, i'll post it here.

- sialivi - 2011-09-05

Shinu Wrote:@ sialivi, i don't see the point in posting the same thing twice. i'm sure Amra saw it the first time around.

Nothing points to that, and since I both added more notes and updated others, I kept it in one place so nothing gets lost in the shuffle. Xbmc.org really should consider providing bug trackers for skins and add-ons.

- macshield - 2011-09-05

This skin is amazing. Any plans to include tvtunes support?

- steshell - 2011-09-05

How come I've not heard of this skin before?
Just downloaded the alpha and it's already very polished, very interested in seeing what you have planned for the music section.

Steve

- Amra - 2011-09-05

Aenima99x Wrote:@Amra - Absolutely stunning. Been waiting for this to be released. I was just preparing to start on a skin again myself, but now no need to...thanks a lot. Laugh I probably wouldn't have made much progress in the near future since my son is going to be born next week. So my girlfriend and kids thank you haha.

Couple quick requests that i'd love to see integrated in the skin -
  • weather conditions fanart available on the home screen when weather is selected
  • Support for the Weather+
  • Support for TV Tunes
  • Integration of TV Show Next Aired script and/or TV Guide
Thanks!
Sorry I didn't get back to you til now but I took a couple days to enjoy the Labor Day holiday with my family. Anyway... Congrats on the impending baby!

I think the weather fanart question was already answered. Weather+ and Next Aired might be interesting but no definite plans, but they are in the back of my head. And lastly I've never seen TV Tunes so will have to see what it is. Huh

- Amra - 2011-09-05

Shinu Wrote:I have other suggestions/requests....

1. Maybe an option to switch between vertical and horizontal scrolling in certain view. Namely the Gallery views?

2. A Fanart Poster (variation on Fanart Banner) view would fit nicely for the Movies section.

3. I would LOVE to an option to use logos or clearart in the tv show info screen (Logos mainly. Clearart sucks. lol). Also, season and episode number info is need among other things in this view. But then again, it's in an Alpha stage so that's understandable.

4. And my biggest request, as I asked about some posts back, is about custom homescreen items. I know you already said you'd look into it, but it wanted to mention it anyway :o

5. Have you considered a third homescreen option using the fanart view? When I first saw it, I thought to myself that it would look great there. I did another mockup along with some additions so u can see what it looks like....

Hope you don't mind me sharing my thoughts. I really wasn't kidding when I said I had found a new toy. lol
Thanks & no problem on sharing any thoughts. Just please don't be upset with me if I don't implement everyone's ideas. Needless to say, that would be impossible. I don't mind adding some things if they are in my ability to do so but I also don't want this skin to have so many things/options in it that it becomes a resource hog. Note that even though I did BIG Alaska previously, I really am still learning all of this stuff.

On to your comments/requests...

1. I will see if that is easy thing to do. I originally scrolled the gallery views horizontally but found that I really liked them better vertically.

2. Due to the persistant info section in the lower quarter of the screen, this might be a tight squeeze. I'm pretty happy with the large selection of views so far.

3. Already have plans to work TV Logos in more views as well as (optionally) in the video OSD. I actually planned on doing it in the upper portion of the Info by reducing the plot area. Not set in stone though so I will look at all options.

4. Already noted. Wink

5. I want to do another home style but first need to finish up the icon one, and a whole lot of other stuff. I like your idea & will keep it in mind. Thanks.