Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Metropolis skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Metropolis (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Metropolis skin (/showthread.php?tid=99317)

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - Smagyarown - 2012-08-21

Where is the videoosd.xml file located when installed on Linux? I need to disable it as it sometimes won't go away.

Thanks.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - ajamils - 2012-08-22

(2012-08-20, 01:42)jingai Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 23:34)ajamils Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I have already created smart play lists for the type of sub-menus that I want but I did not find a way in Metropolis to display them under Movies main menu. Like on other skins (Aeon Nox for example), I can just edit the sub-menu and tell it to show "Playlist" and that way I get all the different type of movie in their own sub-menu (via smart playlists).

This has been pushed up. I want to do more with it, but I think this will get you what you want for now.

Is the new update available yet?

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - daunjan - 2012-08-22

Are you able to add shuffle or random buttons for OSD for music videos while playing...

Thankyou...

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-08-22

(2012-08-22, 05:18)ajamils Wrote:
(2012-08-20, 01:42)jingai Wrote:
(2012-08-17, 23:34)ajamils Wrote: Thanks for the reply. I have already created smart play lists for the type of sub-menus that I want but I did not find a way in Metropolis to display them under Movies main menu. Like on other skins (Aeon Nox for example), I can just edit the sub-menu and tell it to show "Playlist" and that way I get all the different type of movie in their own sub-menu (via smart playlists).

This has been pushed up. I want to do more with it, but I think this will get you what you want for now.

Is the new update available yet?

I did push it to github, but it may not have made it to Passion yet (I'm not in charge of that). If you're not using the Passion repo, then you'll have to wait until the next official release, which will hopefully be Real Soon Now.

I'm just working on adding the ability to add Favourites items as submenu shortcuts (like I did for Playlists). There are a couple of other minor aesthetic issues as well, but it should all be done by the end of the week, I hope.
(2012-08-22, 07:44)daunjan Wrote: Are you able to add shuffle or random buttons for OSD for music videos while playing...

Hmm, I don't think so, but.. you could always just create a Smart Playlist that is shuffled/randomized and limited to Music Videos. Just a thought.

fast scoll indicator - krustyreturns - 2012-08-22

New guy here, so have mercy. I am new to xbmc, but after spending a few days playing with skins I have decided Metropolis has everything I am looking and looks great to boot.

I have a question though: I noticed on every other skin I tried, when I do a fast scroll on a list (i.e. holding the remote direction button down) there is a little popup that shows where in the list you are currently viewing as the scroll is happening. In other words, if the list is alphabetized for instance, it shows a little popup that has the first letter indicator of list items you are currently in the scroll view. This is missing in Metropolis and I can't find a setting to turn it on.

Is it possible to turn this on? If not through settings, how about by editing an xml file?

thanks

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - stoli - 2012-08-22

@krustyreturns - this shouldn't be hard to add. I have time coming up this weekend and next week to work on things again and will be sure to get this in.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - krustyreturns - 2012-08-22

Thank you! I think the skins that put this popup centered over the fast scrolling area are better than the ones that put if off to one side, but either way would be great. This and the changes discussed above will be really amazing.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - sialivi - 2012-08-23

[Bug]
Browsing music videos by genre incorrectly uses the movie genre images instead of music genre images.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-08-24

(2012-08-23, 01:14)sialivi Wrote: [Bug]
Browsing music videos by genre incorrectly uses the movie genre images instead of music genre images.

Fixed and pushed up. Thanks for describing the issue clearly on github!

I'll also think more about making the "Music Videos" submenu item link to top-level node. It might be an option, not sure yet.

edit: actually.. thinking about it more.. Music Videos really should be a top-level node on the Home screen in addition to being in the Videos submenu to make it work like Movies, TV Shows, and Music do. That'll take a little more time but I'll try to get it done this weekend.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - ajamils - 2012-08-24

Haven't seen any update yet. Just went to Passion repo and now downlaoding Metropolis (GIT) version. Is that the latest?

Update: The GIT version does have the update that I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Few more suggestion:

- Ability to add more sub-menus (right now it seems to be restricted to 3 items)
- Ability to add any item (favorite, add-on, playlist) to the sub-menu (right now I can only add Playlists)
- Ability to hide the default sub-menus
- Ability to Override the default like with any item (right now I can only override it with an add-on). That way, I can make "Movie" goes to the "Unwatched Movies" smart playlist directly.

Thanks for the hard work.

(2012-08-24, 20:08)ajamils Wrote: Haven't seen any update yet. Just went to Passion repo and now downlaoding Metropolis (GIT) version. Is that the latest?

It doesn't appear to be. Stoli's been busy lately, so he probably just hasn't gotten around to it.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to add more sub-menus (right now it seems to be restricted to 3 items)

The problem is limited space. I could allow the submenu to scroll, but it was my opinion that that wasn't a good idea. If enough people disagree with me, I'll change it.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to add any item (favorite, add-on, playlist) to the sub-menu (right now I can only add Playlists)

Favourites are on the way. Doing that this weekend.

However, I had not planned on adding Addons to the submenu. I added icon shortcuts to the Addons home item for that. The whole Home screen is getting cluttered as it is, and the configuration page for this stuff is at over 100 items. If I throw in the kitchen sink I think it's just getting too busy/complicated... so I have to stop somewhere. If enough people say they want it, though, I'll add it.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to hide the default sub-menus

If you can propose a way to do this without adding another 50 configuration items, I might consider it... but I hadn't planned on doing this either.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to Override the default like with any item (right now I can only override it with an add-on). That way, I can make "Movie" goes to the "Unwatched Movies" smart playlist directly.

Already on my TODO list Smile

(2012-08-24, 20:34)jingai Wrote:
(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to add more sub-menus (right now it seems to be restricted to 3 items)

The problem is limited space. I could allow the submenu to scroll, but it was my opinion that that wasn't a good idea. If enough people disagree with me, I'll change it.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to add any item (favorite, add-on, playlist) to the sub-menu (right now I can only add Playlists)

Favourites are on the way. Doing that this weekend.

However, I had not planned on adding Addons to the submenu. I added icon shortcuts to the Addons home item for that. The whole Home screen is getting cluttered as it is, and the configuration page for this stuff is at over 100 items. If I throw in the kitchen sink I think it's just getting too busy/complicated... so I have to stop somewhere. If enough people say they want it, though, I'll add it.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to hide the default sub-menus

If you can propose a way to do this without adding another 50 configuration items, I might consider it... but I hadn't planned on doing this either.

(2012-08-24, 20:22)ajamils Wrote: - Ability to Override the default like with any item (right now I can only override it with an add-on). That way, I can make "Movie" goes to the "Unwatched Movies" smart playlist directly.

Already on my TODO list Smile

You (along with a lot of other people) will hate me for saying this but I think the only way to avoid going overboard with the configuration items is to change the way the configuration works now. For example, I've seen on other skins where you can just edit the home screens directly (in edit mode) and then configure each item to your heart's content. That way you can avoid having separate configuration pages with 100+ item list.

Also, in current state to add more items to the submenu, what you can do is only show three but have "+" somewhere that can add more items. That way, only the users that want more will have to expand the list otherwise, everybody else will only see three sub-menu items.

Having no experience in creating a skin, I'm not sure how much effort it will require to completely overhaul the way skin is configured but I think it will give you a lot more flexibility to change/add things in future.

As always, thanks a lot of your hard work.

(2012-08-24, 23:12)ajamils Wrote: Having no experience in creating a skin, I'm not sure how much effort it will require to completely overhaul the way skin is configured but I think it will give you a lot more flexibility to change/add things in future.

The simple answer is, "a lot of effort." I'm not sure I'm willing to go that far, personally. Obviously if someone else has a lot of free time, go nuts lol. But for the time being at least, this is about as far as I'm personally going to take customization.

I have gone to a lot of trouble to hide duplicate/unnecessary items depending on how you've got things configured at least -- I hate clutter. I think for the vast majority of users of the skin, this is probably sufficient without being overly complicated.

But if you want more control, honestly your best bet right now is to just edit the XML yourself. Since you pulled it in from github anyway, you could create a local branch for your mods and just rebase it onto master whenever the upstream is modified. Keep your local branch checked out and XBMC will always use your mods. I do this for a lot of other projects when I need to make personal changes that aren't general enough to push upstream.