Kodi Community Forum
[WIP] Metropolis skin - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Metropolis (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=162)
+---- Thread: [WIP] Metropolis skin (/showthread.php?tid=99317)

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-09-30

That would be great! (Maybe right above or below "Update Library".)

That brings up another request... would it be possible to select or de-select items that appear on the sub-menus? For instance I don't care to search by studios, so can it be removed? BTW, I've figured out how to remove the unwanted items by brute force by editing the includes home file, but that's only a temporary fix for me.

Thank you

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-10-01

(2012-09-30, 19:56)thewarm Wrote: That would be great! (Maybe right above or below "Update Library".)

Will do. Probably today since it's pretty easy to implement.

(2012-09-30, 19:56)thewarm Wrote: That brings up another request... would it be possible to select or de-select items that appear on the sub-menus? For instance I don't care to search by studios, so can it be removed?

The short of it is, no, not at this point. The customization code isn't structured to be suitable for arbitrary modifications. At some point it may happen, but it's a fairly large undertaking.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-10-01

Option to show Clean Library in Videos and Music submenus has been added.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-10-02

Fantastic work on the "Clean Library" sub menu option! Thanks (see the smile on my avatar)

I have one question about XBMC (not the skin) that you might be able to answer for me. If I choose "remove from library" for a TV Show (the entire series), the entire folder is removed. But when I do the same thing for a movie after I watched it, (my movies are all in separate folders) only the actual movie file is removed and I have the leftover folder with pictures, metadata, etc. Is there a setting in XBMC that I can change to have the whole folder removed?

Thank you, Steve

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-10-02

(2012-10-02, 12:36)thewarm Wrote: I have one question about XBMC (not the skin) that you might be able to answer for me. If I choose "remove from library" for a TV Show (the entire series), the entire folder is removed.

Just tried this and wow.. it should not do this. At least not the way it currently does it -- it blindly deletes the entire top-level directory, even if there are other files in there......

(2012-10-02, 12:36)thewarm Wrote: But when I do the same thing for a movie after I watched it, (my movies are all in separate folders) only the actual movie file is removed and I have the leftover folder with pictures, metadata, etc. Is there a setting in XBMC that I can change to have the whole folder removed?

IMHO this is the correct behavior. For example, to preserve nfo files, fanart, etc. Or whatever else the user might have wanted to store inside that directory.

If people want XBMC to delete the containing directory too, it should only be deleted after checking:
  • there are no other files/directories within that directory,
  • there are no other library items with paths pointing into that directory.

You should file a ticket to get this fixed, but to answer your question, I think it's probably an oversight. Someone really needs to think about the way this should work a bit more, especially since it's a destructive command with potential to blindly destroy data that it shouldn't..

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-10-02

When I'm done watching a movie and remove it from my library, I want all of it gone! Currently I administer the removal of the leftover files from my workstation...

Thanks for the reply, and thank you once more for adding the library cleanup to the sub-menus. Big Grin

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-10-03

Jingai, I noticed in your latest GIT that you added an option to enable "Dynamic Weather Artwork". How about an option for the path to that artwork please. I have a large collection of custom weather artwork that I would like to use. I tried to point to my folder of artwork (in Home Artwork), but the Home Screen defaults to the internal "weather" folder.
PS, you could reduce the overall size of Metropolis if you made weather art an optional download.
Again, many thanks, keep up the great work!

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-10-03

(2012-10-03, 15:48)thewarm Wrote: Jingai, I noticed in your latest GIT that you added an option to enable "Dynamic Weather Artwork".

That's actually been there for quite a while Smile

(2012-10-03, 15:48)thewarm Wrote: I have a large collection of custom weather artwork that I would like to use. I tried to point to my folder of artwork (in Home Artwork), but the Home Screen defaults to the internal "weather" folder.

Because these two options are mutually exclusive -- you have to choose one or the other. The Dynamic Weather Art option loads an appropriate image from extras/weather/[fanartcode] to represent the current conditions (raining, snowing, sunny, etc). The Home Artwork option simply displays a random image from the folder you give it.

If you untick the Dynamic Weather Art option you'll see your own artwork appear. If you're asking I can make the Dynamic Weather option customizable, I could, but you'd have to give it a folder structure that matches what you see in extras/weather.

(2012-10-03, 15:48)thewarm Wrote: PS, you could reduce the overall size of Metropolis if you made weather art an optional download.

I may do this not to reduce the download size, but to make it easy for people to customize the artwork. If it downloads to a location outside of the skin itself, you could replace the images as you wish without fear of a skin update overwriting them.

As far as size goes though, it's not exactly big (~3MB).

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - vishek - 2012-10-05

As of now we are able to get below for options under settings on the right panel in home screen.
SYSTEM
FILE MANAGER
PROFILES
SYSTEM INFO

How about getting other options also on the home screen under settings like Appearance, Video, Audio, etc..

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - jingai - 2012-10-05

(2012-10-05, 09:33)vishek Wrote: How about getting other options also on the home screen under settings like Appearance, Video, Audio, etc..

Those are all subsections of SYSTEM (the "Settings" window in XBMC). I don't think it allows skins to jump directly to subsections; at least, I don't see a way after browsing the wiki briefly.

Besides though, since they are technically subsections of the SYSTEM window, I don't think they should be submenu items of the "Settings" section of Metropolis' home screen.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-10-05

I've removed sections of the includeshome1.xml file (that start at line 732, "sub-menus") to get the menu items that I want to have displayed on the right. Makes it easier to navigate for my uses. Everything I could want is already done for this skin, so I will be looking forward to the "final" release.

A quick question... will Metropolis 2.0 be an automatic update to the current official Metropolis skin?

Thank you

(2012-10-05, 17:33)thewarm Wrote: A quick question... will Metropolis 2.0 be an automatic update to the current official Metropolis skin?

Yes, provided you have automatic updates for addons enabled in XBMC.

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - stoli - 2012-10-05

(2012-10-05, 17:33)thewarm Wrote: I've removed sections of the includeshome1.xml file (that start at line 732, "sub-menus") to get the menu items that I want to have displayed on the right. Makes it easier to navigate for my uses. Everything I could want is already done for this skin, so I will be looking forward to the "final" release.

A quick question... will Metropolis 2.0 be an automatic update to the current official Metropolis skin?

Thank you

Be sure to backup any files you have customized....

(2012-10-05, 19:11)stoli Wrote:
(2012-10-05, 17:33)thewarm Wrote: I've removed sections of the includeshome1.xml file (that start at line 732, "sub-menus") to get the menu items that I want to have displayed on the right. Makes it easier to navigate for my uses. Everything I could want is already done for this skin, so I will be looking forward to the "final" release.

Probably also worth mentioning that he shouldn't just replace the new files with his old ones either. That would break quite a lot, especially in the case of Includes_Home1.xml..

RE: [WIP] Metropolis skin - thewarm - 2012-10-05

(2012-10-05, 19:12)jingai Wrote:
(2012-10-05, 19:11)stoli Wrote:

Probably also worth mentioning that he shouldn't just replace the new files with his old ones either. That would break quite a lot, especially in the case of Includes_Home1.xml..

I saved the original xml file. I don't plan on installing any more git updates, unless there is something really cool. I also replaced the weather folder with a custom one (277MB). I will wait for 2.0.

And, as you know, Frodo is just around the corner... I don't know if I will be switching to it unless I can get the "Dual-Audio" patch for it. My XBMC setup is doing pretty much everything I could want! Well, unless you could make a more advanced Weather page... 10 day forecast, videos, etc.

Again, thanks for all of your hard work (and sorry to mod it Wink)