Reboot: Memory leak or frozen OS?
Apologies if the memory leak issue has been resolved, but for me, the second most common reason for rebooting with a Samsung is XBMC instant freeze at startup.

PS, MBP + NFS w/ ATV1 = happiness.
If you are talking about the memory leak for the ATV1 (silver) with Broadcom Crystal HD decode chip then you don't want this forum. ATV1 (silver) runs a version of Mac OS X. ATV2 (black) runs a version of iOS. Try asking in the Mac OS X specific support forum.
As that was my reference, your succinct reply is much appreciated.
FWIW, NFS on ATV1 without the ATV2 forum would have been impossible.
sacrefrancais Wrote:FWIW, NFS on ATV1 without the ATV2 forum would have been impossible.

Yeah, I don't know who has moderator access to the OS X forum, but no one has made a sticky for the file sharing alternatives there. More activity on the iOS side right now.
That a Mac can run NFS, streaming to ATV1 (OS X) or ATV2 (iOS), is interesting.

NFS Manager's recent update made share on ATV1 easy. SMB should maybe phase out, as it involves a SysPref/Sharing process as easy as starting NFS. And NFS works better.

Is there a CrystalHD-similar mod for ATV2, or is it natively superior to hacked ATV1 running 720 DTS or better?
sacrefrancais Wrote:That a Mac can run NFS, streaming to ATV1 (OS X) or ATV2 (iOS), is interesting.

NFS Manager's recent update made share on ATV1 easy. SMB should maybe phase out, as it involves a SysPref/Sharing process as easy as starting NFS. And NFS works better.

Is there a CrystalHD-similar mod for ATV2, or is it natively superior to hacked ATV1 running 720 DTS or better?

No hardware mod is necessary for HD playback that uses h.264 in any media container. Other codecs should also be possible, but figuring it out is hard and an undocumented area. Since most HD content is in h.264 the ATV2 works with the majority of what people can throw at it. Other codecs in SD also run fine.

The small size, no need for a hardware mod, cheap price, and native Netflix client (and maybe other such clients in the future) make the ATV2 very attractive. At the same time the ATV1 has more raw power and abilities (with BCHD). I own both and love them both. However, if I could only choose one I would go with the ATV1 since the ATV2 is more of a "second" HTPC, due to the lack of internal storage, USB port, etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reboot: Memory leak or frozen OS?0