HDMI + VGA out simultaneously?
Hey Guys,
Looking to hook up an HTPC to two TV's. 1st TV with HDMI for video and HDMI for audio. The second TV would be VGA for video and analog for audio. Is it possible to have them output simultaneously? The HDMI and VGA connection would both be on the motherboard(no video card, only built in GPU)
This is the motherboard I would be using
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6813186212
Thanks
In short, yes.

It depends exactly what you think you'll be able to do but essentially you'll have two monitors running off the same system. If they are both 720p or 1080p then you can have the desktop mirrored on both screens. Use an RF keyboard & touchpad with plenty of range (or an IR extender) and you'll have full control from both rooms. Think of this like displaying a presentation on a projector, whilst you look at it on your laptop screen. It's exactly the same.

(This is assuming that the mobo will let you use dual displays (or even triple if you also have a DVI output) but every card I've had since 1997 will do that so I really doubt it'll be an issue.)
EDIT: it's not an issue with your mobo. http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/...6300m.aspx

If you've got one 720p and one 1080p TV (like I have) you won't be able to have desktop mirroring (and extending the desktop would be a silly idea), but you could switch one TV off and the other on and Windows should auto-detect which screen is on at the time and adjust the screen resolution automatically. What I can't tell you is how XBMC will react to this but I can't see it being a problem.

And if you're VERY clever about it, if you add a separate sound card, you could set up a Disney video for your kids to watch in one room whilst you browse the internet for pr0n in the other room. I wouldn't advise this though - but you get the idea of what's possible. Needless to say, what you can't do very easily is control the HTPC simultaneously from both rooms. Although it's possible - I guess you could feasibly control XBMC with a MCE remote and the rest of the PC functions with a keyboard/touchpad/mouse.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
note that if u plan on using XBMC on one screen
and use the other screen for NET surfing or whatever,
you'll have to set XBMC to False FULL SCREEN...
cuz if not, you'll get a nice black screen
on the TV u plan on using to surf the net.
Smile
Cloning a video output is problematic for video playback, usually the two monitors don't run exactly synchronized, and the driver synchonizes XBMC's rendering to just one monitor, which will cause tearing or stutter on the other monitor.

Also, you probably won't be able to use XBMC's adjust refreshrate feature.
I did not know this. Thanks for the extra info guys! (This also affects my own plans - although I was never planning to use both screens simultaneously)
baldmosher™
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
baldmosher Wrote:I did not know this. Thanks for the extra info guys! (This also affects my own plans - although I was never planning to use both screens simultaneously)

Maybe give us a bit more insight on what you are trying to accomplish and we can help you find a solution. Big Grin
It would be for running XBMC on both screens, however not at the same time. For example, watching something in one room, pause turn off tv and resume where I left off in other room. It sounds like I shouldnt have any issues with this with the current motherboard?

It seems like the problem is the sound issue. Can someone please help me on how I could use SPDIF or HDMI audio for one TV and analog audio for the other TV without having to change settings within windows playback devices? I want it to produce sound out of both ports(HDMI/SPDIF and analog) simultaneously. If I add an extra sound card then I would be able to use Motherboard sound ports and extra sound card ports simultaneously?
Thanks for all your help
apex82 Wrote:It would be for running XBMC on both screens, however not at the same time. For example, watching something in one room, pause turn off tv and resume where I left off in other room. It sounds like I shouldnt have any issues with this with the current motherboard?

It seems like the problem is the sound issue. Can someone please help me on how I could use SPDIF or HDMI audio for one TV and analog audio for the other TV without having to change settings within windows playback devices? I want it to produce sound out of both ports(HDMI/SPDIF and analog) simultaneously. If I add an extra sound card then I would be able to use Motherboard sound ports and extra sound card ports simultaneously?
Thanks for all your help

only solution I could see is to use analog audio for both via a splitter.

I couldn't find any sound cards that had dual SPDIF out because I am sure that you cannot select two outputs at once such as HDMI and analog.
If you have coax SPDIF you can easily just split that.

lrusak Wrote:I am sure that you cannot select two outputs at once such as HDMI and analog.
Lies!

Dual Audio Patch!
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
lrusak Wrote:only solution I could see is to use analog audio for both via a splitter.

I couldn't find any sound cards that had dual SPDIF out because I am sure that you cannot select two outputs at once such as HDMI and analog.

analog audio splitter? Do you mean something like this?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2

Then run cables from each of the two outputs to each device?
apex82 Wrote:analog audio splitter? Do you mean something like this?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2

Then run cables from each of the two outputs to each device?

Yes exactly, you may have to use Y-cables as well if you need to change from 3.5mm to RCA jacks

Seems the most simple solution to me but only offers 2.1

I did just find one of these though Laugh

http://www.amazon.com/CCM-SWOPT2-Optical...B0002MQGR2
lrusak Wrote:Maybe give us a bit more insight on what you are trying to accomplish and we can help you find a solution. Big Grin
I should probably add my thread to my signature too! Already got hardware roughly sussed (and I'm reluctantly leaning towards the AMD setup) but it looks like Ivy Bridge will be available before I get around to purchasing so that could throw a happy spanner in the works!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114833 (although it's basically three pages of desperately hunting for a case)

darkscout Wrote:Dual Audio Patch!
I'm planning to output HDMI to the living room TV, and VGA & digital audio to the bedroom TV, as I have an optical out (passthru) on the amp that I can use. I was simply hoping there'd be no noticeable latency with that configuration, but this patch looks like a MUCH safer option, especially as I wouldn't need to leave the amp switched on in the living room! Although....

darkscout Wrote:If you have coax SPDIF you can easily just split that.
....indeed, for £1 this does seem to be an even better option - and would also save the £10 for the opt-coax converter box I had in mind for the Xbox opt output..... just need to find a mobo with a SPDIF output/header.... not that easy tbh.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Male-2-Femal...27c04b9cd8
baldmosher™

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI + VGA out simultaneously?0