problems installing through ssh and NitoTV
using a ATV2 running 5.0.1 (4224). Jailbroken through seas0npass pass, and I'm using PuTTy to ssh in.

I installed NitoTV through ssh commands, but I almost positive something went wrong with it...it loads on the ATV fine, but when I try to install anything with it, nothing happens. Typically it will say I have what I'm trying to install even if I don't.

I also installed XBMC through ssh, and rebooted. After I'm back up and running the XBMC icon isn't even there. It's just a black box that I can click on that takes me to a blank screen that has another box that says "XBMC" and when I try to choose that, the ATV waiting logo spins in the center of the screen and restarts the dashboard area. After it was very clear that something was wrong, I uninstalled through ssh, and then reinstalled with a different set of instructions (here) and got to command 6 when PuTTy spits this block of text at me:
Quote:Apple-TV:~ root# dpkg -i org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb
(Reading database ... 4366 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 11.0-0 (using org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_ iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): short read in buffer_copy (failed to write to pipe in cop y)
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb (--install):
short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during `./Applications/XBMC.frappli ance/Frameworks/lib/python2.6/plat-mac/bundlebuilder.py')
chown: cannot access `/Applications/XBMC.frappliance': No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-3_iphoneos-arm.deb

it appears as if somethings wrong in the intended target. Any ideas? What's up with the NitoTV app as well? I can't install anything with it like I said.
Did you miss the

mkdir -p /Applications/XBMC.frappliance

Line?
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Nope, I ran that.

EDIT: was able to install through NitoTV on the alternate sources, but same result. Black box with no logo, etc. It seems like a killall AppleTV command is sent right after installation, or NitoTV crashed, Not sure.

EDIT 2: what can I do to completely wipe my ATV2 of any trace of NitoTV and XBMC? I want to try a fresh install.
Shouldn't matter if Killall is ran or not. Not stuck in an tether state? And if you just reinstall the firmware in iTunes it will wipe everything (and update to the latest version) unless you have SHSH blobs etc.
Set Up
I'm getting Error 24 on iTunes when I try to restore?

I have no security stuff running whatsoever. Don't know what's going on.
Probably, either not accepting the version anymore (if you are shit-restoring) , or you have used TinyUmbrella and you put "set hosts to cydia on exit" on, or you manually edited the hosts file?

If none of those, here will be your friend: http://forum.firecore.com/137
Set Up
I just jailbroak my AppleTV 2 firmware 5.0.1 using Seas0nPass. All went fine, and I installed NitoTV and then XBMC, got the same results as you, black box and AT2 rebooting once I tried to load XBMC black box.
I also could not SSH any longer into the AppleTV and it seemed like it was no longer jailbroken. So I restored it to factory default and jailbroke again but this time did not install NitoTV and installed XBMC through SSH. Now all works great, XBMC logo is showing up in the box and is working like it should. Installed NaviX too and it workes like a charm.
(2012-05-21, 23:13)remedy Wrote: I'm getting Error 24 on iTunes when I try to restore?

I have no security stuff running whatsoever. Don't know what's going on.

Check your host file, I had the same problem and my host file had the apple server ip address blocked for updates.
i had the same problem as you with the black icon box for xbmc.. and when i tried to restore my atv2, itunes didnt let me ERROR 21, here is how i fixed it.
i ran the seas0n pass jailbreak again. because at the end of the process it will let itunes reinstall the custom package, and when you do that, youll have a fresh install of the jailbroken software.
once you have all that done, dont install nitotv first, go here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW..._2#ATV_5.x and follow the instructions, skip the last 2 lines, once you have xbmc installed. then install nitotv. and everything should work for you.. good luck

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
problems installing through ssh and NitoTV0